Workingout, will it work?

Jathe

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Well, this is the workout I intend to do, since I don't have any equipment, I just haven't started yet because I have no way of doing the pull-ups/chin-ups... Nor do I have the money or transportation to join a Gym...

Here is the EDT bodyweight program that I am doing. I use these exercises because they are compound movements and even when emphasizing one muscle group, the others are involved. Here's what you will need: A timer/stopwatch and a notebook to write down your reps (this is critical!).

MONDAY CHEST/BACK
Start the timer or stopwatch with 15 minutes set. Do 5 push up reps (standard push up). Immediately after this do 5 pull ups. Use an overhand grip (bicycle grip) for pull ups. You can use a pull up bar or if you have a weight bench, you can use the bar and pull up while you're laying flat. You can also place a bar between chairs and do horizontal pull ups. It is very difficult to continue with vertical pull ups. Ok you have done 5 reps of push ups and 5 reps of pull ups. I CONSIDER THIS ONE SET. Then do another set which is 5 push ups and 5 pull ups. This completes your second set. Continue this until you complete 5 sets of these exercises. You will have performed 50 reps total at this point. With me so far?

Now, you will continue with these two exercises but you will now do 15 total reps per set. In other words, do 10 push ups and 5 pull ups. Do these for 5 sets which will give you 75 reps total after completing the second routine. Then move into your third routine which means you will perform 20 reps per set. So do 10 push ups and 10 pull ups until you complete the 5 sets.
So you started with 5 reps each of push ups and pull ups then moved to 10 push ups and 5 pull ups and then moved to 10 push ups and 10 pull ups. After writing down your reps after COMPLETING EACH SET, your journal should look something like this:

10 15 20
10 15 20
10 15 14
10 15
10 15

Notice on the left you have your 5 sets of 10 reps total and the middle column is your 5 sets of 15 reps total. NOTICE THE THIRD COLUMN, you did 20 reps for two sets and then did another 14 reps (as an example you did 10 push ups and then 4 pull ups). At this point your time ran out. Go until the time runs out only...don't complete all 5 sets.

So when we total these up you see we have 179 reps total for the workout. Well the following Monday when we work chest/back we have to beat 179 reps or increase the resistance (I'll discuss later). If we beat our performance goal next week, we've made progress and muscle mass WILL follow!!!

Notes: Do the exercises at a comfortable pace (not fast!). Be sure and write down your reps after completing each set. Remember that a set is when you finish your rep range for both push ups AND pull ups.

WHY THIS PROGRAM IS EFFECTIVE:
1) you know exactly when the routine will start and when it will finish...there's no time wasted
2) you know exactly what you need to do going in to the routine
3) it uses compound movements which maximizes muscle involvement
4) it is a brief but HIGHLY INTENSE workout!
5) weights can be added later for increased intensity

If you find yourself struggling through the routine just take a bit more rest in between exercises. You DO want to complete the 15 minutes though since this is the time frame that measures each of our performance goals. In order to test yourself, start out with the 10 total reps per set (remember a set is completion of two exercises). Yes, go until time runs out and then MAKE SURE YOU RECORD THE NUMBER OF REPS. Your exactly right...we are increasing the amount of work done in the same time period! When we surpass our goal, we make progress...when we make progress, RESULTS WILL FOLLOW.! Are you ready for details on the Wednesday Shoulders/Legs workout? see ya...

WENSDAY SHOULDERS/LEGS routine:
Start with close grip push ups (thumbs touching and beneath your chest not your chin). Do 5 of these and then immediately do 5 bodyweight squats. When you squat make sure your feet are straightforward, keep your butt down, heels down and chin up. Squat until your thighs are parallel to the floor but heels stay down! This gives you one set of 10 reps total. Continue with your 5 sets to give you 50 reps total.

Continue the push ups and squats doing 15 rep sets. This means 10 push ups and 5 squats. This is for 5 sets also and gives you 75 reps after this routine. Move on to 20 rep sets which means 10 push ups and 10 squats. Continue the 20 rep sets until time runs out. You probably won't be able to complete all. In fact you will probably only get to do maybe two sets and a partial set. Anyway, go until the time runs out. Write down the number of reps. This is your goal to beat next week!

When we're ready for weights...dumbells will be plenty to start. When we add, all we will be doing is an extra 5 minutes on the end of your 15 minute routine to blast the muscles. Very effective...just wait!! :)

FRIDAY ARMS BICEPS/TRICEPS

Begin with 5 chin ups using an underhand grip. Also use a close grip on chin ups with the hands about two inches apart. Immediately after this do 5 close grip push ups. This is a standard push up with the hands very close together where the thumbs are touching. Hits triceps really good! Complete your 5 sets and resume with 15 rep sets for 5 sets and then continue with your 20 rep sets until your time runs out. Your arms will thank you later!

Here's how we increase resistance when you feel you're ready.

1) On push ups we can start out by increasing reps OR we can incline the legs OR do push ups between chairs (love this one!) OR you can add a weight belt. I have a scuba belt I use for added resistance!
2) Chin ups and pull ups, you can start with higher reps OR you can add the weight belt
3) Squats can be done holding dumbbells OR you can do one-legged squats to increase resistance

Variation: One thing I do differently on shoulder/legs day is this.I do my inverted V push ups and THEN I do dips between chairs (or a dip bar if you have one). I complete this routine and then I do 10 straight minutes of squats. When I start getting fatigued, I rest (but for no more than 5 seconds)

This was from a guy on bodybuilders forums... I am curious as to what effect it will have on me though, I'm quite skinny and have a high metabolism...

swimmersox

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Hey Jathe,
I posted a very similar question recently (under "Help this thin boy get toned,' or 'help this thin boy tone up;' something like that), and got some pretty helpful, specific, and constructive replies. (Thanks, again, guys).
I haven't learned how to embed links to other lpsg posts yet, but if you look under 'search,' then click 'advanced,' then plug in my screenname, 'swimmersox,' the thread should appear on the list.
Hope it's helpful. Good luck, from a guy in a similar boat.