Workout at Home

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Hey gang,

Some friends I keep up with through the Internet have been telling me of their amazing progress over the past year or so with weight training. Now, I'm a poor graduate student who's really strapped for time and can't make it to the gym. I stay busy, but I'm trying to come up with ways to get a little more fitness-active at the apartment.

I know I can stretch, jog in place for some cardio, and do various combinations of situps and pushups for overall upper body.

Does anyone else have exercises to contribute?

jay_too

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dee,

What about pull-ups? On alternating sessions, try forward and reverse grips. Pull-ups are really great for the back. I know that I have seen bars that fit in doorways at sport shops.

While you are at the sports shop pick up some dumbells (say 20 lbs. lighter is better when you start). Get the galvanized metal ones they are sold by the pound....so a 20 lb DB at 25 cents per pound would cost $5...or $10 for two.

With DBs you can do

Various curls for the biceps
Kick backs and overhead extensions for the triceps
Shoulder presses, DB flies for the shoulders

For the legs

(you are gonna hate me for these :) ) Lunges.
Calf raises using DBs.
Good mornings using a broom handle.

Oh yeah, to start workout every other day. Normally, you do 3 sets of 10 repetitions.

jay

Longhornjok: Dee,

You can do calisthenics and stretches and cardio without equipment, but if you are looking to either gain muscle mass or sculpt your muscles for definition, you really need some weights. You might want to check out getting a simple flat bench and some dumbbells. I think the best ones are the ones that allow you to add or subtract weight; they take up less room than solid metal ones.

Here's a basic workout guide for free weights from Soloflex.com:

Most weightlifting programs prescribe 3 sets of each exercise. We recommend doing only one set. One set is all the weightlifting most people need: competing athletes being the exception. One set is a lot easier to stick with, one set will give you all the muscle most people want. Muscle gains from this program are cumulative. You can build a beautiful muscled body doing only one set of exercises in this program. To minimize muscle soreness, start with very light weights. Do only one set of about ten reps on each exercise the first week. The second week, do 15 reps. The third week, 20 reps. Progressively increase the weights for the next few weeks on each exercise until you find the weight that won't let you do more than 20 reps at full exertion. When that weight becomes too easy, increase the weight again. Your muscles will become as big as the weights you regularly use. When you reach the muscle size you want, stop increasing the
weight to maintain current muscle gain.

They also have a detailed weekly workout plan: www.soloflex.com/index.asp?m=toolbar&d=handweights&sd=workouts&p=3

One stat they mention here: the average person loses over 20 pounds of muscle between 25 and 65 - and it's replaced with fat! Good luck!

SpeedoGuy: I do 50 pushups at dawn and 50 again at dusk.
100 situps at dawn. I do stretches 3 times a day, morning noon and night.

I jog 4-5 miles or swim 2500-3000 meters just about every weekday.

SG

Valkyrie: If it's not too "sissified" for you - Pilates. Excellent for abs, glutes, thighs, lower back - the core of your body.

Doesn't require more than a mat and can be easily done at home. It will not build large, bulky muscles - more of the lean, strong body type (think dancer).

Any search on the Internet or some books will give you the basics.

/Val

tsctsc: Plus, Pilates is Excellent for Core Strength...your abs/mid section. Very trim & defined with it, but it's a killer workout!
A good way to start is by doing Crunches--instead of a full sit-up, you focus on that 6pack area between your ribcage and below your belly. You can also do side crunches, turning crunches, leg lifts...it goes on and on.Dee I do 30 minutes of abs every other day. YOu could also go for a nice run around the neighborhood or campus. I run every other dayfor 30 minutes too.
Hey doesn't your school have a gym you can work out at for free? Ya might meet some guys too!

D_Martin van Burden

Account Disabled
Media
Got the results of my fitness assessment today. While I won't bog you all down the numbers, I was surprised to learn that I'm in better aerobic shape than I thought. My blood pressure and aerobic activities registered in the Fit category. My body fat rating was excellent. On the other hand, (as I figured) I really need to get into some weight training to improve my muscle strength and endurance.

I'm going to speak with a personal trainer sometime next week so I can devise a good workout routine.

Thanks for the input, gang. I'm really stoked by all of this! ;D

Ralexx

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay

Glad to hear that, Dee ! And do go for weight training ! Honestly, I cannot imagine something that could have changed my life for the best in the last 1 y. 9 months !

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
My workouts have worked for years.

I load up as much as I can on my fork and lift it to my mouth.

Pecker

Dijon vu - the same mustard as before.