Workout Question

Scorpiorising

1st Like
Media
I have an interesting dilemma. I've recently started doing push ups and other calisthenics. I'm really enjoying it, however I noticed something odd.

It seems my left pec is developing faster and more fully than my right. I know I am exerting the same amount of pressure on both sides, so I don't know what to do. I don't want to be lopsided.

I've been doing and teaching yoga for years, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Also, I thought that it might be caused by the way I situate myself during masturbation, LOL.

Any insights, solutions to keep my body balanced? Thank you in advance.

Whopper-lee

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I have an interesting dilemma. I've recently started doing push ups and other calisthenics. I'm really enjoying it, however I noticed something odd.

It seems my left pec is developing faster and more fully than my right. I know I am exerting the same amount of pressure on both sides, so I don't know what to do. I don't want to be lopsided.

I've been doing and teaching yoga for years, but I don't think that has anything to do with it. Also, I thought that it might be caused by the way I situate myself during masturbation, LOL.

Any insights, solutions to keep my body balanced? Thank you in advance.[/quote************************************************
:smile::confused:
Well, believe it or not...I think it's very common & natural for one side of the body to delvelop a little bit larger than the other side with close exam... being either left handed or right handed used...that side will be larger... additional excerise only will increase more to whats already there too... interesting isn't it.
I'm sure there's ways to even it out...but I personally dont know...try getting advise from a professional person (trainer)
U may wanna j/o with left hand & arm more:biggrin1::biggrin1::biggrin1: LOL too!

Supersized

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

Get a gym membership. grab two dumbells and work your chest in three directions, upper, middle, and lower.

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Its a problem most people who lift encounter, I wouldn't suggest lighter weights on the pec thats bigger, I think if you just continue with what your doing you'll most likely even things out. Also its your perception that its bigger maybe, ask a friend to look and see what he/she says.

bigrider

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i have would say use a straight bar and do incline decline and flat bench and do the same with dumbells. my body did the same thing at first but after 4 years i am even. im not saying it will take that long thats just how long i have lifted.

Primal_Savage

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Dude, what biglapinski, monster and others have said is true. Tho, I'm right handed, my left tricep, bicep and lat are slightly larger than the same muscles on the right side of my body. To try and correct that I use slightly lighter dumbells (on the left) in my resistance training.

Supersized

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I know what i'm talking about. He needs to use separate dumbells so each pec grows to the same size. They have to be isolated from each other. with a straight bar one is probably doing more work than the other. I had the same problem years ago. This fixed it.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dude, what biglapinski, monster and others have said is true. Tho, I'm right handed, my left tricep, bicep and lat are slightly larger than the same muscles on the right side of my body. To try and correct that I use slightly lighter dumbells (on the left) in my resistance training.
I'm the same way with my arms, but I don't try to correct it. It's not noticeable.
I know what i'm talking about. He needs to use separate dumbells so each pec grows to the same size. They have to be isolated from each other. with a straight bar one is probably doing more work than the other. I had the same problem years ago. This fixed it.
Well, he only does push ups, but I don't think using a bar with hands evenly spaced you could do more work with one side otherwise, you'd torque the bar and it would tip over. As long as the bar remains horizontal you're using the same effort with both sides.

The OP could just have a variation from side to side, maybe since birth. If it was a big difference maybe see a doctor or something. He could be missing his pectoral minor or something. (Just a wild guess.)

Could you post a picture?

Scorpiorising

1st Like
Media
Thanks everyone for your replies. At this point, I'm sure it's only noticeable to me.

I am not lifting weights, but plan to start within the next month. I think I will go with Monster's advice and just keep doing what I am doing to see how it works with my body. I also appreciate Jovial's comment about my pec minors. Though I doubt the actual muscle is missing on my right side, I'm sure it's possible that it's deficient. In fact, that is where I notice the lack of development.

Thank you again.

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
You are more likely getting different stability going for each scapula (shoulder) which is altering the way your body is taking the resistance...Doing free-weights won't necessarily correct that, nor will changing from a barbell to a dumbell workout.

Get a pro to watch your form and they will be able to give you some fairly simple things to do to correct the way those stabilisers are or are NOT working in each scapula. To be honest, dude, the pushup is usually performed very badly by most folks. It takes a fair degree of awareness to do it properly but you can learn it. Will be better to start with a movement that isn't so heavily loaded to learn a new pattern or else you'll just keep on doing the same thing

A good Pilates practitioner or well-educated personal trainer can sort that out for you.

At the end of the day, we're all a bit asymmetrical so don't get too upset about the look, as that'll even out a bit as you work smarter!

Primal_Savage

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm the same way with my arms, but I don't try to correct it. It's not noticeable....
Could you post a picture?

Think some of you misunderstood what I was saying in my previous post...was referring to separate dumbbells in each hand doing simultaneous things such as flat-bench dumbbell presses, etc.

Skull Mason

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I didn't really pay much attention to the other responses so forgive me if someone said it, but you should try doing your chest exercises with dumbells, and do one arm at a time. So on a bench, extened both your arms up. WHile keeping your left straight, lower your right one and bring it back up. When the right one gets back up, do the same thing with the left (while keeping the right straight) and continue on. Or if you really want to isolate your pec, don't use both arms, just do a dumbell press with one arm, while keeping your other arm on your chest or holding onto the bench for balance.