workout shorts

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by Imported, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Imported

Gold Member

hungjoeyshy: Hi. I'm pretty new here. I'm maybe not as big as some here, looking around at stats, but am well above average and have some issues with clothing. I'm probably a little more of a shower than a grower and hang around 5 inches. I top out at about 8.5-9 hard. What most partners have commented on though is my thickness. I've never measured that but I'm pretty thick compared to other guys I've seen. Buddies have seen me taking a piss when soft and give me a hard time about it.

Anyway, whenever I work out at my health club I usually wear mesh type, long basketball shorts which are purposely baggy. Despite maybe some here, I really don't like to draw attention to myself about my size. But when I'm laying back on my back on a bench especially, doing chest exercises, I'm feel really exposed. A few times I've caught a person staring and I noticed that you could see a clear outline of my penis. I had to quickly try to pull the shorts away and kind of re-orient them. It made me really uncomfortable and was embarassing. :unsure: Sometimes I'm bigger soft than others and its worse. I'm not sure why.

Any advice on this? I like doing the laying back, bench dumbell presses a lot more than the upright pressing machines and I don't want to alter my routine. Maybe this is a stupid question. Anyone experienced this? Different underwear maybe? Thanks. Also any tips on types of swim trunks, those are a nightmare for me and I usually avoid swimming because of it. Especially if there's women around. Thanks.

2. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

hey joey.

Take it from a freeballer - wearing baggy shorts to hide your package and being careful not to 'broadcast' your hungness is as far as you can go, really.

But think about it. Once you've done these things, if you still show every once in a while, so what? Handling heavy freeweights, especially while lying down, can be dangerous - you must concentrate on balance, breathing, burn and reps. If you spend too much of your time worrying that someone might see an outline of a penis in your shorts, well, duh!, you're not working out efficiently.

Don't be concerned if you are being stared at. There are mirrors everywhere in the typical gym. Most of the patrons are staring at their own reflections.

3. benderten2001

Gold Member

hungjoey.....Welcome!

I hope you will find solace in being with us in this forum....realizing you're not all by yourself with what you have cited about working out in a gym. I can relate VERY WELL to what you said and I even exceed you in flaccid dimensions. So, you get the idea.

Pecker's correct here. There's only so much you can do.

A lot of the self-confidence we larger guys seek comes from just deciding deep within ourselves to accept we're going to "show" to some extent....regardless.
    Learning not to focus on it (and NOT worry about it!) is the real challenge, isn't it?

You can do it, though. I don't know your age, but getting older will make this easier to muster....(not being all that embarrassed regarding your assets.) The earlier in life you make that concerted effort to overcome self-consciouness, the better and happier! you'll be, believe me. I know from personal experience.

Judging from some of the comments we read about from other men....you and I are really the envy of others! so we should NOT be the least bit embarrassed!
    I'm 50 and have always been shy. But, this forum.....has helped me a lot! ;) Just knowing other guys felt this concern too, was encouraging in and of itself.

4. B_Black11

B_Black11 New Member

joey,

i am 8 soft and very thick too. i also work out alot and find myself in some of the same positions you do. sometimes i think that people are looking too. one thing that i like to do is make sure that i am wearing a nice jockstrap which tends to gather everything up into one compact package and shows much less than say regular briefs.

bbb

5. KinkGuy

Gold Member

Letting is all be free while working out IS certainly more comfortable, for some, but if you don't like the results of your advertising, change the message. Wear a jock or compression shorts under your baggies. It'll solve that exposure/people looking problem for you......and sadden many of them I am sure. :D

6. Imported

Gold Member

hungjoeyshy: Thanks all, and thanks for the welcome. I guess there's no real easy answer here. You're absolutely right that each set should require 100% focus and I shouldn't worry about who might be looking at me. I just don't like attention like that.

8 inches soft blackbodybuilder? wow. And I thought I was hung. That's pretty incredible. I'm guessing you wear ultra baggy shorts or get views on a regular basis. I need to work out at your club so you can divert the looks away from me. :)

Its interesting to have some people that can identify with you here.

7. Pappy

Pappy Member

Board shorts are the best for swimming. Just freeball with them and you can pretty much hide everything, until you get out of the water then you have to pull the shorts away from your junk to keep it from showing. :p

8. Imported

Gold Member

dijstra:
    Though I'm a grower not a shower I wear a jock strap when working out at the gym, or to play squash or basketball. I love freeballing and thats my default under fatigues.

In the Gym i hate being stared at...with 100+ 17yrold recs around it happens a lot....plus i get a hard on a the drop of a hat espcially when working out...soemthing to do with testoserone maybe ...so use a tight jock strap..

D

9. benderten2001

Gold Member

I was going to mention the jockstrap approach in my earlier reply, but then I remembered they're NOT the most comfortable things to wear for many of us...
    and, I'm one of them! I'm wondering bbb just HOW you endure a jockstrap as you and I pretty much on the money in soft size (given a slight fraction).
    I'm miserable in the things, myself.

'Guess we have to make our own judgment calls on what to wear / what to do.

10. flnkdguy

flnkdguy New Member

when i was in school i was a little self concious about being "visible" (i'm around 9x6 hard), especially with those tight white gym shorts we had to wear. i was very naive about some things and was a little embarassed about girls looking at me "that" way.

as i got older i got more comfortable with my body and decided that i would just stop trying to hide/minimize and let the chips fall where they may. if someone is going to made a judgement or assumptions about me based on something they see (or think they see) then that's their problem to deal with, not mine. now i concern myself with dressing a way that makes me feel comfortable, supported, etc., instead of trying to hide anything to make other people happy or whatever.

11. TallHungLB

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Here's a different way to think about it, and it's helped me when I don't mean to show my size but can't really help it. All men have dicks, some are large some are small. It's similar to women. All women have breasts, some are large, some are small. Women with large breasts can't help but show more even when they don't mean to. It's the same for guys.
    Sometimes you're going to inadvertently show more than you care to. It's something that you'll learn to live with in time. It's awkward and embaressing at first but so are most things before you get comfortable with them.

12. B_RoysToy

B_RoysToy New Member

I think because the average size cock can be kept unnoticed in our clothing, it has become the one part of the human anatomy that is verboten to let show. Its being the sexual object that it is makes it the most desirable one to be able to see, also. Curiosity is a strong motivator for sexual desire and the different sizes of the penis certainly stimulate curiosity and the desire to physically see, let alone touch and manipulate. The phallus and its, in a way, worship has been evidenced throughout history. --Just stating the facts, no complaints here!

13. hungthick

hungthick New Member

i dont think many people pay attention to other guys cocks in a gym. many are too vein to look at anyone else but themselves. if they do look at you it is to compare their muscles with yours.

i workout at home now but i know of what i speak. i 've never been vein but u see them at any given moment working out.

14. Imported

Gold Member

dayne: Any advice on this? I like doing the laying back, bench dumbell presses a lot more than the upright pressing machines and I don't want to alter my routine. Maybe this is a stupid question. Anyone experienced this? Different underwear maybe? Thanks. Also any tips on types of swim trunks, those are a nightmare for me and I usually avoid swimming because of it. Especially if there's women around. Thanks.

Per the quote above from the original post. I haven't figured out to make a quote and then going to a new section for my reply.

Have you considered trying a sport thong. I find them to be more comfortable while making things a bit more discrete. Also, rise makes a short that is a mesh material over a liner. It doesn't bubble up with air when you get in the water. Also the mesh pattern over the liner tends to distract from a clear outline of your assests. (From what you describe you and I are almost the same size soft and hard.

15. B_HallWildcat

B_HallWildcat New Member

hey joey, no worries man, it happens to the best of us, i have two words for you, compression shorts, you might want to try them out, and if you dont know what they are, they are like tight spandex type shorts, that you wear under your basketball shorts, they keep your dick and balls drawn in tight, so you are not bouncing around and flopping like crazy, they might be uncomfortable at first but you will get used to them, and they will make your dick less noticealbe, and if you ever get chaffed between your legs where your balls are, it will pretty much prevent that, you should try them, i like the under armour brand, good luck bro

16. Long Dong

Long Dong New Member

Just wear a swimmers jock strap. It will hold everything in and is not noticeable when you are swimming.

17. Chicago_Swimmer

Chicago_Swimmer New Member

Albums:
    Compression shorts are helpful in making things less noticeable. I wear them playing soccer and they help play down the bulge.

Robert

18. BBB2.5

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I also think compression shorts are your best option here. Your only other one would is to accept that people look and don't worry about it....:tongue:

19. Kenn

Kenn New Member

Albums:
    I'd have to agree with BBB2.5, as I so often do, let them look. Who cares.

Kenn

20. floridaswimmer

floridaswimmer New Member

I'd agree that compression shorts would probably work. They hold everything in and keep you from showing too much. On the other hand, sometimes I feel like they push everything foreward and show it more! Oh well, I guess that we'll just have to live with it. :)

Mike

Draft saved Draft deleted