World Thyroid Day - May 25, 2009

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
World Thyroid Day is May 25, 2009, a day to promote awareness and understanding of thyroid health and the advances made in treating thyroid diseases. Diseases of the thyroid are very common and affect tens of millions of people worldwide.

The thyroid, a butterfly-shaped gland located in the neck, produces hormones that influence virtually every cell, tissue and organ in the body. The thyroid regulates the body's metabolism--the rate at which the body produces energy from nutrients and oxygen--and affects critical body functions, such as energy level and heart rate.

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
A very important organ which plays such an important part in our health. Not many people realise that the word Cretin come from the word Cretinism which is a condition of someone born without a thyroid gland or someone who has an underactive thyroid.

Cretinism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I can not take soy or my thyroid will hurt and feel tired all the time :(
I do not take any pills for it I just away from soy.

Sassy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Great to know! A couple of women in my family (that I know of) have hypothyroidism, one of whom wants to stick to natural/homeopathic remedies.

Does anyone know of any treatments other than doctor-prescribed?

BTW, a colleague was trying to get pregnant, unsuccessfully, for four years. Her OB/GYN finally had her thyroid tested and found it to be underactive. After getting her thyroid in the normal activity range, she got pregnant.

Smartalk

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Sadly if your friend has thyroid problems she needs to take prescribed medication to bring it under control then maybe seek alternative treatment. My daughter developed and overactive thyroid at sixteen. Being and alternative therapist wanted to try and find alternative treatment to the thyroidectomy she had to have. Her health and condidtion warrented the need for surgery. As a parent it was hard to agree to her having the surgery. At the age of 22 she is fit and well and no regrets about having the surgery.

I did some research and discovered that the artificial sweetner "Asmartain" used in fizzy drinks like diet coke etc has been found to have a toxic effect on the thyroid. In some states of America it has been banned because of its detrimental effects on human health.