Worst book you've ever read

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The post regarding The T. Cruise video got me thinking. For the past few years I've kept a list of books that were (for me, at least) a complete waste of my time. For example, I could have spent the time reading them doing something more productive such as ironing shirts or cleaning toilets. My list is short and hasn't changed much since the year 2000.

1. Dianetics (I'll never get those 60 minutes back)

2. The book of mormon (puh-leeeeeze!)

3. The Official J-ELLO Cookbook

Anyone care to offer their worst (wurst) read(s)?

Just asking.:smile:

B_Jennuine73

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The first Book of Gor book. I was told by others in the BDSM community that this series was amazing.

It is the only book where I had to MAKE myself finish it. I always finish books, no matter how bad and this was absolute torture. The writing "style" sucked, grammar sucked, layout sucked. Everything...absolutely everything was bad.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The Bridges of Madison County. I couldn't get past page 7 and I tried again, and again, and again. The summer it came out I was a lifeguard; and one of the camp counselors told me how she and her fiance took turns reading it to each other every night. :wtf1: I assumed her fiance was either really in love or a major wuss. :tongue:

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Bridges of Madison County. I couldn't get past page 7 and I tried again, and again, and again. The summer it came out I was a lifeguard; and one of the camp counselors told me how she and her fiance took turns reading it to each other every night. :wtf1: I assumed her fiance was either really in love or a major wuss. :tongue:

This book held an appeal to me when I was finishing up my BFA being about a photographer and all, but more objectively it was a pretty bad book. The ideas in it were good, the execution really sucked and made subject matter that is intrinsically interesting extremely smarmy. What was magnitudes worse, though, was the sequel to it. :puke:

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's not a worse book in fact it's supposed to be a great book but buggered if I can manage to get past the chapter descriptions in Gargantua and Pantagruel, I must have picked it up a hundred times intending to get stuck into it but I'm always a bit overwhelmed, I think it'd be like reading Paradise Lost, rewarding but torture.

rob_just_rob

Sexy Member
Media
It's not a worse book in fact it's supposed to be a great book but buggered if I can manage to get past the chapter descriptions in Gargantua and Pantagruel, I must have picked it up a hundred times intending to get stuck into it but I'm always a bit overwhelmed, I think it'd be like reading Paradise Lost, rewarding but torture.

Decameron? :confused:

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That's another one I didn't finish Gillette, I only read it because of it's reputation but after about a third of the book I gave up waiting for something of import to happen.

Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. God what a colossal, self-righteous bore.

Holy shit. First thing that came to my mind, too.

It really is a load of tripe. Anyone who says otherwise needs to lay off the philosophy classes and find a hobby.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Catcher in the Rye - annoying from start to finish. The only reason I can see for this book being well known is because of it's taboo censored status.

That book was the most tortured pathetic life disaffirming story I've ever read. I had to do a term paper on the book in high school in which I scored a 9/500 points discussing the hidden symbolism and deeper meaning of names that JD Salinger oh so cleverly constructed. What a bunch of useless crap.