Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I haven't personally had any particularly awful jobs in my life. They all been pretty mundane. But once my ex-girlfriends brother had a job that he told me about that made me cringe.

When he was 19 his first "real" job was working at an Adult Video Store called "Pussycat Video". Anyway, since he had no prior work experience he wasn't allowed to work the register or do inventory. Basically, he was the janitor, which anyplace else wouldn't have been so bad except for the fact that one of his duties was to periodically to mop and wipe down the "arcade parlor", I don't really want to explain what that place is. I'm hoping everyone knows what I'm talking about but I will explain if anyone is unclear. So, his job was to several times a day clean up all the left over splodge from the male patrons who went in there.

And after he told me I closed my eyes and shuttered :crazy2:

So, my question is what has been you worst job? Got anything to top that?

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Worst Job you ever had?

Food service at Six Flags Great Adventure for 4 consecutive summers. I worked in the carts division. You don't know hell until you have stood over a hot dog roller grill in an open air stand in 98F degree heat, while wearing a polyester uniform.

I was promoted to manager half way through my 2nd season; but all that meant was that I made $2.00 more per hour and I got to work the legendary 12-12 swing shift. :rolleyes:

This was in the early 80's minimum wage was $3.35 an hour. When I made manager I earned a whopping $5.50 per hour.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I would have to say the worst I had was one summer after my sophomore year in college, working in "the pit" beneath the front assembly line of a "major school bus manufacturer."

It was HOT. I was literally in a pit about the size of a school bus, under the assembly line. I had to wear a heavy long sleeve shirt and coveralls and a hat (unfortunately, not a hard hat).

They assembled & welded the floor of the bus, then slid it over "the pit" for the next step - bolting on the side braces (my job), epoxy sealer put in the seams, and more arc welding (right above me). The sparks would fall down, and burn through my clothes, and the smoke was thick. I took a brace, put it in place, and put the bolts in. The epoxy dripped down there, too, and could not be removed from clothing. When I quit to go back to school at the end of those three months, I tried washing my work clothes 4 times (and using baking soda then vinegar), but could not get the welding smoke out of them. I had to throw them all away.

The pay was pretty nice, but that was a true hell hole. Throughout the factory, safety was the last of their concerns. Metal stamping machines with the safety switch disabled, no lights or alarms on the assembly line when they moved another piece (yeah, I got injured there, too), the entire facility including paint rooms without adequate ventilation, electric drills with taped-up cords sitting in puddles of water from the leaky roof.

I had to buy books and pay fees somehow, though. My scholarship covered tuition only.

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The worst job I ever had was a telemarketing position that lasted all of 1 1/2 days. :smile: I couldn't handle more than that. Not only was it telemarketing, which is bad enough as it is, but we were required to stand while working. She felt that if we sat down, we'd get lazy and the excitement would leave our voices. Standing for 8 hours fucking sucks, even with a 30 minute lunch break and two 10 minute breaks inbetween. And it's standing in one spot, too. No walking around or anything. Yuck. I don't think standing made me sound more excited, I think it just made me sound more pissed off.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh wait, I forgot the retail job where I used to break out in hives every day, 30 minutes before I had to leave the house. :eek: I was an assistant manager and my manger was an evil, bigoted cunt! Yes, I used the "c" word.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I worked a summer temp job after my freshman year in college for Chrysler Credit, repo department. I think I racked up enough bad karma there for 2 lifetimes. The thing that disturbed me most was that many of the career collection agents there were sadists who enjoyed inflicting misery on people. I got to see the worst human nature had to offer in the 4 weeks I worked there.

swordfishME

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Working as a telemarketer selling long distance, freshmen year of college. We were encouraged to call them at dinner time and really early on weekend mornings. The thought was if agitated they would agree to switch LD carriers to just get us off the phone. I took more verbal abuse in 6 months there than probably the physical abuse child molesters take in prison.

thoreau

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ok, I just remembered one I had over the summer in HS. I was trying to earn extra money for a school trip and a friend of mine had a corn farm and need some extra help cause, " Many hands make light work." Anyway, at the end of the season after the corn was harvested they cut down the rest of the crop that wasn't useful like the stocks and leaves etc. and chopped it into a mulch called "silage" and piled it together into giant mounds about 40ft high and 80ft long.

It was our job to go in after the pile was made and had been watered down and cover it with tarps and old tires to hold it down. That wasn't really the worst part. After a few weeks we came back and had to uncover it. Now, this is after it had been rotting or "fermenting" for this whole time. And let me put it to you this way; coming across rotting food in your fridge is pretty gross and nasty in its own right but imagine standing knee deep in a giant pile of putrid plant matter enveloped in such a stank oder for several hours while you're working and therefore can't escape.

Added to that the tires we were moving around were often filled with rain water, which makes them that much heavier plus they had been sitting just as long as the silage. So, we often got splashed with stagnant muddy filth water.:biggrin1:

thoreau

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I worked very shortly at a movie theater, I left after I saw someone drop a hotdog on the floor and then serve it to a customer! Never eat cinema food!!

This brings up an interesting question. Possibly worthy of it's own thread but I posit it here first.

Has anyone worked in the Fast Food or food preparation industry and then fouled up a food order i.e.(spit or sneezed on food) to deal with a crappy customer or for your own amusement?

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I worked in a factory anodizing aluminum. It required wearing hip boots, rubber gloves to the elbow and a rubber apron while working over bubbling vats of sulfuric acid and other toxic chemicals.....Did i mention it was never under 100 degrees in the factory!

Whopper-lee

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
When I was younger & lived in chicago, I worked for an up scale Italian in his bar & restaurant as a porter and dish washer and male restroom attendant.
It wasn't so much the job as the boss and how he talked to me and told me how when & what to do for little pay.
It was more than once he had me to get down on my hands & knees to scrub the floors with just a brush and rags.
He also stationed me in the men's restroom to keep spotless and as a male attendant.
If you don't know what this job is...it's a job that when any guys come in, you hand them a personal towel to wipe their hands, brush their clothes off, and even shine or wipe their shoes off if they told you to...which I did.
Sometimes they would tip up and sometimes the wouldn't.
Sometime they were even rude to me...but I couldn't say anything back to them...just smile and say yes sir or no sir.
May as well been holding thier dick for them while they took a piss too...
I didn't like this job at all.

Hand_Solo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The worst job physically was back when I was in high school. During the summer, I worked for a guy who had miles and miles of open irrigation ditches on his property. They'd get overgrown with willows, blackberry vines, etc. I got to go through with a pulaski, shovel, pruning shears, etc, and clean out the ditches for $3.00/hour.

The worst job mentally was working for a software company as a writer/content developer. Employees were treated like crap, and it's no fun to see your creative work chopped apart and turned into absolute garbage in meeting after meeting while constantly working under frantic and impossible to meet deadlines.

mind7

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Manufacturing job right after high school. Only person on the team to speak English and unfortunately three years of Spanish class didn't mean shit. My job was to make cardboard boxes with hot glue in a 100 degree factory in silence. I kept the job for 3 months and toward the end I got really bored so started taking those over-the-counter mini-thins biches from the local convince store just to see how many boxes I could make in a day. Short story ends up my hands get covered in hot glue because I start to become numb to the pain. I come in to work one morning and they don't have any boxes to make so they hand us a broom and tell us to sweep the factory. This thing was the size of four football fields. I protested so he told me I could pick up trash outside of the factory. I agreed, walked outside and left =P Only job I have ever quit.