Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Breaking Dawn 1
i was made to watch :eek:
The Geneva Conventions needs to be ratified, or whatever it is they do to things like The Geneva Conventions.

2001 Space Odyssey

I know some people consider it a masterpiece, but to me it really felt like 3 hours for nothing. I had the constant feeling that "something" was going to happen so I continued to watch... then I reached the end... 15 minutes of flashing lights and weird images and that was it. I felt really frustrated. There must have been some symbolic meaning but I obviously failed to see it.

ShannonH

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
2001 Space Odyssey

I know some people consider it a masterpiece, but to me it really felt like 3 hours for nothing. I had the constant feeling that "something" was going to happen so I continued to watch... then I reached the end... 15 minutes of flashing lights and weird images and that was it. I felt really frustrated. There must have been some symbolic meaning but I obviously failed to see it.

Your suspicions are correct: it's a great movie and the failure is yours. Kudos on being brave enough to call out a movie you know people love though.

The Seltzer-Friedberg "movie" movie Epic Movie might take the prize for worst ever. The "Baby Geniuses" series were pretty awful too, as was "Garbage Pail Kids". Everyone already knows these movies suck, so I'm not really saying anything new.

If I were to have to pick a movie that I thought was awful which the critics loved, worst place goes to "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". People claim to love it, but whenever I talk to people about it they tend to mention little that wasn't in the trailer. The movie itself is long, boring, and tries really, really hard to shove some kind of life-affirming message down your throat. We all hoped it would be like Forrest Gump, but now that some time has passed I think we can all admit it fell very short of that mark. The acting is wooden and the characters are largely unsympathetic. While Baby Geniuses was awful, I suspected it would be going in. I had high hopes for Benjamin Button, and because it fell so far below what I expected it may be a worse movie for having been so disappointing.

Your suspicions are correct: it's a great movie and the failure is yours. Kudos on being brave enough to call out a movie you know people love though.

Oh I don't know if it's brave, I was just expressing my opinion about a film I didn't like... I respect the people who loved it! By the way, it's funny how you liked 2001 Space Odyssey and hated The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, because that's one of my favorites. :tongue: This proves that all is a question of tastes :biggrin1:

HFOStimmer

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Citizen Kane. I know people think this is the greatest movie, but I thought it was extremely boring and I don't see the big deal

Shepardson

Superior Member
Media
Citizen Kane. I know people think this is the greatest movie, but I thought it was extremely boring and I don't see the big deal
I coincidentally just watched that a couple days ago and thought the same thing. I wouldn't say it sucked, but after hearing the name all my life, it was pretty disappointing.

BTW- IMDB says there's pterodactyls from King Kong going by in the picnic scene. Might pull it back out just to look for them. I also didn't realize I was watching Endora from Bewitched until the end credits. :eek:

As for adding to the list- I watched something called "Badass" with Danny Trejo in it which was so bad I got to the last 20 minutes or so and had absolutely no interest in seeing how it ended. There's also a Willie Nelson/Kris Kristofferson western called Outlaw Justice (AKA The Long Kill) which is pretty miserable, and a movie about Black/Arab interracial relationships called "Forbidden Fruits" if you're looking for some horrible cheesy shit.

hung9mike

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Probably Titanic. I think the ship sank faster in real time than it did in that movie. I sat through a 9-hour documentary one time (broken into 2 4.5-hour portions) and it seemed to go by quicker than Titanic did. And I really, really hated the ending.

mallak

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The one directed by David Cronenberg's son, I think it was called Antiviral? Disgusting imagery+boring storyline= bad combo

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
A few of us had some fun ideas about a few remakes...http://www.lpsg.com/203753-movie-or-song-remakes-that.html

:tongue:

The Minus Man starring Owen Wilson was just unbearable to sit through. It was supposed to be really intense and freaky, but it was just a pretentious pile of shit. I actually saw a screening so I got to write an essay on how much it sucked. It was most gratifying even if it did get released. The tagline was something like "Conversation will follow," because, you know, it was just so layered and fascinating.

I don't think you're supposed to say things like this. It's like calling forth Bloody Mary.

[washing my mouth with soap]

Oh, I wouldn't mind seeing that reinterpreted on the movie screen now. That could be really interesting. :smile:

Maybe for the younger set. To some it'd be like trying to repaint the Mona Lisa.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
There are so many but they must be classified:

Hidden Political Agenda's:

Any of the "Billy Jack" movies

Red Planet Mars (Peter Graves, Andrea King, 1951)
RPM is homage to the HOUAC hearings an there are numerous things in this film that are actually sick concepts.

The Atomic City (Gene Barry, Lee Aaker,)
TAC is always billed as a science fiction and yet it is in fact an anti-communist crime drama involving kidnapping and
efforts of U.S. Government Law Enforcement Agencies to save the life of the child and the secret of the Atomic Bomb

Bad Acting

Anything with Zsa Zsa Gabor
Anything with Mamie Van Doren

Bad Writing
Anything Based on a Steven King Novel

Where did they find funding for this trash:

Napoleon Dynamite
Supernova (With Lou Diamond Phillips there are two movies with this title)
Onion Head (Comedy from the 1950's where they tried to capitalize on Andy Griffith's popularity after No Time for Sergeants and fail miserably)

Could have been great if they had found enough money to make the film:

The Phantom From Outer Space. The script was really strong but because one could shoot for free inside Los Angeles Parks in the 1950's most if this was shot in Griffith Park and the rest at the old Francescan Tile Plant in Atwater nearby. Actors are 4th string and do the best they can but no money is still no money.

Spacemaster X-7 The script was really good, but the budget was so low as to make production difficult. The special effects are so abysmal that they are even bad for the levels of technology available in the 1950's. You go away wondering what could have happened with this if they had been able to infuse about $350,000 in 1958 dollars.

It Conquered the World This was one of the films that Peter Graves probably would not have wanted to admit to having been in. Lee Van Cleef and Beverly Garland have roles in this film. It had potential to be decent, but, the entire film completely dies when we are introduced to the most obviously rubber inverted carrot that one could ever meet. As it attacks it's victims they have to pull it's tentacles around them and really try acting to be convincing. Could have been far better with an infusion of money.

Target Earth This was the film on which "Mars Attacks" was loosely based. The problem here is that again if money had been in place it could have been great. The laughable special effects completely killed a basically good script. "Mars Attacks" using the singing of "Slim Whitman" to destroy the creatures was not far from the original premise. It is sad that the money or lack of it relegated a decent script into a joke.

Incomplete and Bad Story Line because so much of it was left out of the movie:

Alien

Worst Science Fictions:

Remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still with Keanu Reeves insults the original great film done by Robert Wise.

Remake of The Thing by John Carpenter was poorly done and was confusing. It did follow the Campbell Book, but the execution was lousy.

Remake of The War of the Worlds with Tom Cruise. No redeeming qualities

Remake of Invaders from Mars did not have the original fear factors that the original did.

The Giant Claw: This movie is so bad it makes Plan 9 From Outer Space Look like absolute movie making genius. Wait until you see the creature and the special effects. If they couldn't do it anywhere near right, why do it at all.

The Killer Shrews: James Best at his worst before he became Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane on the Dukes of Hazard. This had very little to recommend it.

Worst Action Films
Any Rambo
Any of the "Walking Tall" Movies
Remake of Gone In 60 Seconds
Any of the Fast and Furious Movies
Tomboy
Any Movie Involving Street Racing

Penis Aficionado

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
That's twice someone mentioned Napoleon Dynamite, which I thought was just about a perfect film.

I don't know if it's the worst movie I've ever seen, but I absolutely hated Ghost, and I felt somehow insulted when it didn't follow its own logic and show Demi Moore making out with Whoopi Goldberg.