Worst talk shows ever??? List them and explain...

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There is so many bad talk shows, but here are the popular ones.

The View: just a bunch of cackling hens discussing nothing important. Dressed Whoopi or whoever on the View in chicken suits and that's what the show is all about. **cluck, cluck, cluck**...

The Jerry Springer Show..overstayed its welcome far too long. Enough said.

The Maury Show.....same as Jerry Springer. Overstayed its welcome.

and I'm sure there are others I missed, but list them, please.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Perhaps it would be better to list the ones we don't loathe.

I am fond of anything involving Charlie Rose and Robert Osbourne, in particular.

All of the former hosts of The Tonight Show (Steve Allen, Jack Paar and Johnny Carson) were the very greatest talk show hosts of all time, never to be matched. Carson is the king of television in my opinion.

I have a bit of a soft spot for David Letterman, in that he's bucked the system and basically given the finger to his corporate bosses for much of his career. He's not really all that funny, but he can be entertaining.

Dick Cavett used to have quite a good show.

Hoss

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Tom Snyder. It wasn't as much his show as his deathlike stare and delivery.

Carnie, with Carnie Wilson. She was decent, the subjects and episodes were lacking.

Tempest, with former Cosby actor Tempest Bledsoe.

Chevy Chase. That's 3 minutes I'll never get back.

David Susskind. Rather dry, there were a few guests that made it acceptable.

there are others these are my main selects.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I agree with SilverTrain about Carson and Cavett; the only one I watch now is Letterman. One that I always enjoyed was Phil Donahue I think his show was one of the best.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hoss said:
Tempest, with former Cosby actor Tempest Bledsoe.

I thought I would never see this again. I thought the hypnotist I hired to suppress these horrid thoughts deep in my mind was effective at his job. Why... on WHY did you trigger such evil daytime television memories??! :biggrin:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Springer was/is obviously faked. It's just a cringe-fest of human misery, and I never appreciated the schadenfreude aspect. Maury Povich's show is exploitative in the extreme.

And I gotta say, I've never been a fan of Oprah; I preferred Donahue when he was on, but not by much.

I grew up watching Merv Griffin, whom I felt was vastly superior to Mike Douglas. I have only dim memories of Virginia Graham's Girl Talk, which I recognized as camp even as a child.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Springer was/is obviously faked. It's just a cringe-fest of human misery, and I never appreciated the schadenfreude aspect. Maury Povich's show is exploitative in the extreme.

And I gotta say, I've never been a fan of Oprah; I preferred Donahue when he was on, but not by much.

I grew up watching Merv Griffin, whom I felt was vastly superior to Mike Douglas. I have only dim memories of Virginia Graham's Girl Talk, which I recognized as camp even as a child.

I think you may have been too young to have seen this but The Gypsy Rose Lee Show was a riot!
The Gypsy Rose Lee Show (TV Series 1958) - IMDb

Empathizer

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I don't like Oprah very much, either. I think she de-classed Hurston and Hemingway by including them among the chick-with-a-major-malfunction-trade paperback-lit crap.

She also puts all the weight she ever lost, regained, then lost, etc... into horrible pseudopsychology like the Recovered Memory Movement, without stopping to wonder who gets hurt. I get that she came from humble beginnings, but so did Belle Gunness, Nannie Doss, and Ivan Boesky.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Ugh. Not big on Oprah. I might watch if there's a good topic/guest - I just wish Oprah wouldn't talk!

There are two many bad talk shows to list, so here are my favourites:

Craig Ferguson - he just cracks me up! And he's great in concert too.
David Letterman - that man's show got me through a bad break-up when I couldn't sleep at night.
Later with Bob Costas - he was on right after Letterman and he was smart and insightful.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
all of them for sure.

though, i do like maury. something about watching idiot men who actually sleep around without condoms, and the whores that claim every guy in a 10 miles radius is the baby daddy cracks me up

wendy williams - her catch phrase is obnoxious, but i actually like her. she asks crazy questions. however, i am convinced she is a man!

however, the absolute worst is a tie: oprah - one person should not have as much power as she does....

tyra - she has no right to have the gnarly tude she has, and she makes every topic about herself. every. single. time.

Rammajamma771

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
This brings forth my long unanswered question: Why are people so voyeuristic. Why must they watch some slut accuse scores of men of being the father of her illegitimate children and never find the sperm donor? Why does watching toothless trailer trash idiots appeal to so many people? If you are wasting you time watching these programs. then you are no better than the trash who entertains you. If you watch this trash, you are enabling the producers to televise more of the same.

Empathizer

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
This brings forth my long unanswered question: Why are people so voyeuristic. Why must they watch some slut accuse scores of men of being the father of her illegitimate children and never find the sperm donor? Why does watching toothless trailer trash idiots appeal to so many people? If you are wasting you time watching these programs. then you are no better than the trash who entertains you. If you watch this trash, you are enabling the producers to televise more of the same.

Sure. Just like people who watch theater are encouraging the behaviors they see onstage. Those behaviors are called "stuff people would do anyway, but now we're aware of it and can at least ridicule them or applaud them as we feel is needed."

Who are you to judge who's a "slut" and "accusing" "men" (which, btw, interesting word choices indicative of the sort of kneejerk neocon thinking that watches FOX News to learn what its thinker should spout down at the local bar or at the barber shop or whatever) of fathering her baby? Does sleeping with two men make her a slut?

Talk shows don't make women sleep with more than one man. Being horny and craving love or something like it and not having that craving satisfied do. And sometimes greed does. Or wanting to piss off friends or family. Or wanting to be noticed. Or wanting to be accepted and thinking that fucking around will fix them up with a tall glass of acceptance by men and/or by peers. Or any of a huge number of other normal, human urges, faulty rationales, desires, etc.

Also, I liked Donahue. I almost felt bad laughing at Phil Hartman's SNL impersonation.

You know who sucked goat balls? Jane Pratt. I was in her studio audience and she asked, after the show, if anyone had a question for her. I asked her if she had any advice for aspiring woman journalists, and she walked away like I had suddenly ceased to exist. Was she on something? Was she supposed to be on something and not on it? Was she a stale, flat beer of a person, pissed that everyone who drank of her personality made that "Ugh! Bitter, stale, flat, AND high on herself!" face? Who knows.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't think it has aired yet but it could possible win this award already, a The View remake on another network called "The Talk". Julie Chen is on the show and I think she is one of the worst Hosts I have ever seen on a tv show. Of course is might interest the female gender more then myself and you probalby won't have to listen to 5 women trying to talk over one another like the View.

surferboy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I don't think it has aired yet but it could possible win this award already, a The View remake on another network called "The Talk". Julie Chen is on the show and I think she is one of the worst Hosts I have ever seen on a tv show. Of course is might interest the female gender more then myself and you probalby won't have to listen to 5 women trying to talk over one another like the View.

i know what you're talking about. it's call "the talk" or something shitty like that. goddammit, it hasn't aired and it's already bothering me.

The Talk (U.S. TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

i can't stand julie chen.

holly robinson peete...goddammit, i could never stand that bitch either! she thinks she's way more important than she ever will be.

i do love sharon osbourne, but she's a media whore.

leah remini...i know she's that chick from king of queens, and that i can't tolerate her accent. that's all i know about her

sara gilbert, who's also the executive producer, is obviously hurting for money if she's turning to a cheap (as if the view wasn't already cheap enough) rip off of the view.

and that leaves us with marissa jaret winokur, whom i've never even heard of