Would African Americans Still Support Obama...

mrpond

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ignore this dumbarse thread - yes im aware of the irony of me saying the forementioned statement therefore not ignoring this shit thread

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, I think that you can find all kinds of people these days. There are Republicans who are African-American. Republicans who are gay. Republicans who are into freakazoid sex. There are Republicans who are of differing religions.

Whether African-Americans would've supported Obama if he were Republican, I dunno. I can only speak for myself. I wouldn't have voted for him if he were Republican. Hillary Clinton would have gotten my vote.

(Now IF...<==This is a contingency.) If there were Republicans that weren't catering to personal interests and weren't susceptible to personal agendas of those personal private interests...if Republicans actually had a humble heart. And Republicans who actually had some bold creative thoughts that actually consider the scope of Americans not just a few. I could see myself voting Republican.

But Republicans have proven over eight years that there are interests that are more important than the economy...this unwarranted war...the escalating price of petroleum (even though this is a worldwide concern as well.)

good post...and although I would not vote republican (or democrat) it is a bit unfair to suggest all republicans are catering to personal interest or personal agendas/private interests.

Not every republican is a Tom DeLay.

As for having a humble heart, well, there are plenty of democrats who don't exactly have a humble heart...arrogance is not a uniquely republican trait.

There are some bolder moderate republicans, but that cuts both ways...there aren't a whole lot of bolder democrats willing to embrace different ideas from what is standard liberal thought either.

Innovation and boldness are not exactly rife throughout either of these two corrupt and stagnated political dinosaur parties.

As fior them not considering the scope other than a few, well, the same level of people who voted for Bush voted for Kerry, so obviously, there are more than a "few" people, who feel the Republicans are looking out for their interests...and in all fairness, while i dislike the Republicans and wouldn't vote for them, (i would not vote democrat either) they do look out for interests that are more of a concern to me, such as my income taxes, capital gains taxes, estate taxes, protecting my private health care, and a host of other issues that are very important to a great many americans.

The people that vote republican, tend to be people who dislike and distrust centralized government and of course a host of others who have or are also right wing or religious, etc. etc.

that constitutes more than just a few people in this country, right or wrong, and the Republicans, like it or not, do have a very sizeable constituency.

Frankly, the Democrats have just as few answers as the republicans, and are just as narrow

IMO

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i'm black

this is interesting

1. in my humble opinion , his wife (and daughter) is the most important african-american family members in is life. his father was kenyan. so i don't think he would be considered african american since he was born and raised in kenya. i think he would have to be born and raised in america for that , but i'm not sure. it is a shame that his father abandoned him but plenty of african-american young men grow up without father's (me being one) or in a single parent household. that is why alot of blacks in this country agree indentify with him.

2. i agree with you. i do find it ignorant that he is very widely recognized as african american (or "100% african american") and his entire background isnt recognized. the media does a poor job of highlighting the diversity in his life but most people won't read for themselves anyway. seems that newspapers and books are a thing of the past but thats another thing

3. i personally dont ignore the aspects of his early life. but if i stopped supporting him because his views were different than mine it would have nothing to do with race. it would be pretty silly to vote for someone because of race (or if you's like to have a beer with them).

4. maybe it's just me , but i get sick of the terms "blackness" and "whiteness" (as yall are probably sick of my lack of punctuation and proofreading). bthere is no true definition of what's black or white. to define the black (or white..asian..etc..) experience in america , or anywhere else , would have involve stereotyping and generalizing. black and white is simply a matter of skin color and facial features. but i dont think it diminishes his african ancestory because he was raised by primarily white people. he still inhereted the traits that displayed dark skin, fuller lips , but a nose that was not as flat (as most people who were born to two people of african diaspora).

5. i cant speak for all african-americans , only this one. and if the majority of his views were different than mine, i would now support and vote for him . if he was a white man or woman or a black woman or any race/gender and teh majority of his and my views still matched, i would still vote for him and support him (or her in this case) .

6. yea i believe it was me that said ".....black blood was stronger..." . trust me i'm not that gullable. i was quoting something i read about the "one drop rule" that was mentioned in another thread.

7. well if he was born in america but his parents were both from europe, i would say he was half white and half black. but that's a tricky one

very good posting Geech...thank you very much for your insight :smile:

excellent read.

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Considering that racism and xenophobia are the strongest ties that bind the conservatives together... I think not.

Doesn't anyone remember Alan Keyes?

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Considering that racism and xenophobia are the strongest ties that bind the conservatives together... I think not.

Doesn't anyone remember Alan Keyes?

not really necessarily true...maybe half the party is far right wing...most of the rest only vote republican because of tax issues.

I know several relatives, who cannot stand the religious right, but vote republican because they don't like being raked over taxes. They don't care about anything else...they just don't want government in their economic or healthcare lives at all, and even though they are socially liberal, passionate about the environment, pro gay marriage, etc. they don't trust the liberal democrats one bit not to rip them to shreds (and i cannot say i disagree on that count)

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
good post...and although I would not vote republican (or democrat) it is a bit unfair to suggest all republicans are catering to personal interest or personal agendas/private interests.

What about the Bush family? Oil interests. Dick Cheney? Oil interests and military technology interests. Those Republicans. The ones who are in active positions. Those are the Republicans I am referring to.

Not every republican is a Tom DeLay.

As for having a humble heart, well, there are plenty of democrats who don't exactly have a humble heart...arrogance is not a uniquely republican trait.

What about the arrogances of George W. Bush? Ann Coulter? Rush Limbaugh? Michael Savage? (I will honestly say that I haven't heard any arrogance from Mitt Romney though.
So, if anyone finds a great source where Mitt Romney is arrogant. Let me know.)

There are some bolder moderate republicans, but that cuts both ways...there aren't a whole lot of bolder democrats willing to embrace different ideas from what is standard liberal thought either.

Innovation and boldness are not exactly rife throughout either of these two corrupt and stagnated political dinosaur parties.

Yeah, I think that innovation and boldness may mean different things to Conservatives and Liberals anyway.

I haven't heard about corruptions within the Democratic party. Other than Clinton getting a blowjob in the Oval office by Monica Lewinsky. Again, that is a marital issue. Even John F. Kennedy had affairs.

As fior them not considering the scope other than a few, well, the same level of people who voted for Bush voted for Kerry, so obviously, there are more than a "few" people, who feel the Republicans are looking out for their interests...and in all fairness, while i dislike the Republicans and wouldn't vote for them, (i would not vote democrat either) they do look out for interests that are more of a concern to me, such as my income taxes, capital gains taxes, estate taxes, protecting my private health care, and a host of other issues that are very important to a great many americans.

Yeah, that is true. I understand that. But I don't know if that is or was a concern of every American though.

The people that vote republican, tend to be people who dislike and distrust centralized government and of course a host of others who have or are also right wing or religious, etc. etc.

that constitutes more than just a few people in this country, right or wrong, and the Republicans, like it or not, do have a very sizeable constituency.

Frankly, the Democrats have just as few answers as the republicans, and are just as narrow.

Well, we haven't had the chance to see if Democrats have the answers yet. We have only seen the results of an eight-year Republican administration.

IMO

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
not really necessarily true...maybe half the party is far right wing...most of the rest only vote republican because of tax issues.

I know several relatives, who cannot stand the religious right, but vote republican because they don't like being raked over taxes.

They don't like paying taxes because taxes fund social programs that benefit the poor who are largely ethnic (of some sort of color other than white). Republicans all share a disdain for poor people and in turn want to practice institutional ethnic racism by abolishing the tax system. I know TONS of Republicans and if you could put them under hypnosis, you would find they by and large are bigots... what they actually say in public is another thing. The whole abolishing the tax system is to benefit the rich and to send the poor to their deaths, it's really rather insidious.

Black folk aren't stupid... so they vote Democratic.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
They don't like paying taxes because taxes fund social programs that benefit the poor who are largely ethnic (of some sort of color other than white).

That's really not true...they, like myself, don't like paying taxes because it takes money from our pockets...nothing more. Nobody likes having money taken from them. Nobody.

Republicans all share a disdain for poor people and in turn want to practice institutional ethnic racism by abolishing the tax system.

Come on man.

I know TONS of Republicans and if you could put them under hypnosis, you would find they by and large are bigots... what they actually say in public is another thing. The whole abolishing the tax system is to benefit the rich and to send the poor to their deaths, it's really rather insidious.

dude...come on....there are plenty of republican bigots, but sending the poor to their death is really not the agenda.

that's their choice.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How? Because they chose to be born into poverty?

no...you said "Black folk aren't stupid... so they vote Democratic."

They are free to vote for whomever they wish...so it is their choice.

so i said "That is their choice", since i had nothing to say that was contentious or to take issue with what you said about choosing to vote democratic. :confused:

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
They don't like paying taxes because taxes fund social programs that benefit the poor who are largely ethnic (of some sort of color other than white). Republicans all share a disdain for poor people and in turn want to practice institutional ethnic racism by abolishing the tax system. I know TONS of Republicans and if you could put them under hypnosis, you would find they by and large are bigots... what they actually say in public is another thing. The whole abolishing the tax system is to benefit the rich and to send the poor to their deaths, it's really rather insidious.

Tripod--

Some do vote Republican. I know some. One of them was my one of my professors in college. He is a black man that ran for Congress with a campaign ad that he wants America to return to "Leave It To Beaver TV show" values.

I was like "WHAT THE FUCK?!! There were no black folk on 'Leave It To Beaver'.":eek:

Black families in the South were traditionally Republican...but somehow switched over to the Democratic party.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Black families in the South were traditionally Republican...but somehow switched over to the Democratic party.

they used to vote republican because the REpublicans were the "good party" for them back then, and the democrats were the evil party...

you might find it a very interesting seismic historical shift...

afterwards, all the evil democrats, became the Right Wing republicans you know of today

Strom Thurmond was a democrat (among others)

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thunderstrike

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As far as him being called African-American by everyone...Its because the generally society would view him as African-American not knowing his background and he would be treated/viewed as such under normal circumstances.

D

deleted15807

Could NOT have been said any better. But it's not just black...it's hispanic too. What do you think this 'immigration reform' is all about? Voter id cards? The sad thing is they don't even recognize that in their effort to make sure no minorities get anything the system has made sure NO one gets anything but the rich. Income disparity like today hasn't been seen since the Gilded Age and that didn't end very well.

"Latins for Republicans -- it's like roaches for Raid," quipped comedian John Leguizamo at 2004 Democratic Party fundraiser.

they used to vote republican because the REpublicans were the "good party" for them back then, and the democrats were the evil party...

you might find it a very interesting seismic historical shift...

afterwards, all the evil democrats, became the Right Wing republicans you know of today

Strom Thurmond was a democrat (among others)

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And the strategy still works.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/19/opinion/19krugman.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Last edited by a moderator:

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
As far as him being called African-American by everyone...Its because the generally society would view him as African-American not knowing his background and he would be treated/viewed as such under normal circumstances.

amen. i can't imagine any person seeing him and going "what a handsome white man"

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
amen. i can't imagine any person seeing him and going "what a handsome white man"

probably, but is it safe to say, that some in the AA community, if they saw him on the street and spoke to him for a bit, had no clue who he was and he was not a Senator, but merely just a successful lawyer walking to work with his briefcase...might look at his lighter skin and features and recognize that perhaps he was bi-racial?

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
probably, but is it safe to say, that some in the AA community, if they saw him on the street and spoke to him for a bit, had no clue who he was and he was not a Senator, but merely just a successful lawyer walking to work with his briefcase...might look at his lighter skin and features and recognize that perhaps he was bi-racial?

yeah, but personally (not speaking for everyone) i don't ever really look at people and wonder if they're biracial or not. there are too many fully black people who happen to be light, and too many mixed people who end up dark for me to say light skin constitutes being biracial. there are too many variables and light skin=mixed is an inefficient line of thinking.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
yeah, but personally (not speaking for everyone) i don't ever really look at people and wonder if they're biracial or not. there are too many fully black people who happen to be light, and too many mixed people who end up dark for me to say light skin constitutes being biracial. there are too many variables and light skin=mixed is an inefficient line of thinking.

I agree. I don't go around thinking about the multiraciality of African-Americans. In my family, there are African-American, Native American, white in my lineage. And there lots of shades of color in my family. There are ultra light skinned and dark skinned black peeps. But we consider ourselves African-American. But we are a multi political family, there are Conservatives and Liberals in the family. The ones who are Conservative are the ones that I have the hardest time talking to without getting religion and then politics. Then the liberals in my family, I can talk with and they don't try to force a religion but they do discuss politics in a global view. It is all about expression of thoughts and ideas on things. We all cook a big meal on Thanksgiving and on the Holidays.