Would Jesus Cringe seeing what Christmas has turned into?

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I am sure he wouldnt like it, but he would not be shocked. I am sure he saw comparable things when he was here....

Technology has changed, but humans are still doing the same things they were doing 2000 years ago. Jesus has seen the same stuff we do now. People were just as materialistic in Biblical times as they are now. Jesus also saw that people were horny and screwing around just like they do now.

As to the Christmas holiday, I think Jesus would be horrified at how commercial it has become, but while most people only focus on the big showy things, there are many people who act as hands of Jesus and do charitable work and actually try to make the world a better place. Those are the people Jesus would want to see because they exhibit the love of God to others.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Hilaire - What about John? I thought he wrote his books on the island of Patmos in the late 90s ad? Luke also seems a fairly good historian in both his Gospel account and the book of Acts (describing contemporary events and people accurately). I also heard that the 4 gospels didn't contain concepts that had emerged in the 2nd and 3rd centuries, unlike many of the apochryphal writings.

Not arguing with you as such - just would like ur info on these things. I also thought that the New Testament was probably put together by John in its current format - with Peter having gathered some of it together earlier (along with Paul's letters).

It's worth remembering that the Canonical Gospels weren't picked because of their value as historical documents, nor were they picked because they proved the existanc of Christ ( no one involved in the decision would have entertained such a question ) , they weren't even picked because they told the most coherent story about the life of Christ since they distinctly fail to do that. They weren;'t even picked because they were the earliest versions of the life of christ, the church at the time (though less often now) admitted that some of the apochryphal gospels might be earlier and that certainly some were contemporary to the canonical gospels.

The canonical gospels were picked because of their theological value, because they most usefully served the theological orthodoxy being promulgated at that time by the dominant sect within christianity.

Part of the problem with the dating of the Gospel of John is that it does not appear to be anything like a religious document of the period it is said to have been written in. More than that it bears strong resemblances to other christian writings of a later period. It's now suggested that the canonical version of the Gospel of John was heavily rewritten during the period between the whenever it was actually first written and the time it was made canonical. There may be fragments of an early gospel within it, but how much is completely unclear and of what value even less so.

Ahh ok - cheers for the info. I was interested because stuff in Revelation seems to fit very well with themes throught the Old and New Testament - including the fitting together of prophecies from Daniel and Ezekiel, and also sections of Matthew's gospel including Christ's prophecies (Matt 24).

The canonical gospels were picked because of their theological value, because they most usefully served the theological orthodoxy being promulgated at that time by the dominant sect within christianity.

Can this be proven? (genuine question). Do we definitely know who picked the gospels? I thought there was some speculation that the Council of Nicaea (or was it Laodicea? sorry :redface:) was involved with choosing Easter over Passover and stuff like that, rather than compiling which books were in the New Testament, which could've been done much earlier? (I'm no scholar on this btw - just interested. :smile:)

Jesus would want an Xbox. "Look, it's named after me!"

He'd want a PS3, cos he was discerning. :wink:

Actually (seriously) I think he might be genuinely dismayed at certain sections of the religious community (altho many are very sincere and well-meaning), especially those who like to think they're very religious whilst pointing the finger at groups they consider to be 'sinful'. I think Christ's thing was don't throw stones unless you're free of sin yourself - and if you're looking down on others, you're probably not.

Not that that's much to do with Christmas. :redface: Sermon over.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Can this be proven? (genuine question). Do we definitely know who picked the gospels? I thought there was some speculation that the Council of Nicaea (or was it Laodicea? sorry :redface:) was involved with choosing Easter over Passover and stuff like that, rather than compiling which books were in the New Testament, which could've been done much earlier? (I'm no scholar on this btw - just interested. :smile:)

There's little reason to prove it, the entire reason the canonical gospels were picked is to refute heretical interpretations of the words of christ arrising from the variety of the character of that word contained in the apocryphal gospels.

The Synod of Rome and the Synod of Carthage among other decided the canonical gospels and saints and scholars of the 5th century wrote exstensively on the need to refute heresy by reducing the gospels to a canonical set which would serve the uses of main stream christianity's theology.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Actually (seriously) I think he might be genuinely dismayed at certain sections of the religious community (altho many are very sincere and well-meaning), especially those who like to think they're very religious whilst pointing the finger at groups they consider to be 'sinful'. I think Christ's thing was don't throw stones unless you're free of sin yourself - and if you're looking down on others, you're probably not.

Not that that's much to do with Christmas. :redface: Sermon over.
If you want to see what a dumb-ass perversion Americans are making of Christianity, read about the prosperity gospel (article in The Atlantic).

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hilaire I agree that there were a lot of prophets at that time, and there were in later centuries as well.
But, there is only one example of a prophet atracting so many people after Jesus, it was Muhammad in the 7th century, and he was a REAL PERSON.
And, most of caliphate hasn`t been islamised in the 9th century, only 10-15% were muslims, proves my theory of creating a myth at that time. It takes ages to create it and spread it. So, if Jesus were a myth, his name wouldn`t appear at that time, it would, but much later.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Hilaire I agree that there were a lot of prophets at that time, and there were in later centuries as well.
But, there is only one example of a prophet atracting so many people after Jesus, it was Muhammad in the 7th century, and he was a REAL PERSON.
And, most of caliphate hasn`t been islamised in the 9th century, only 10-15% were muslims, proves my theory of creating a myth at that time. It takes ages to create it and spread it. So, if Jesus were a myth, his name wouldn`t appear at that time, it would, but much later.

Perhaps you haven't heard of Manichaeism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Luka, a religion which nearly won the battle with christianity, founded by a prophet e.t.c.

luka82

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Zoroastrism-manichaeism was never a threat to Christianity, especially not in the East!!!
Trust me, luka knows his shit:):):)

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Christmas is a pagan holiday with a Christian veneer. I thought everybody knew that.

:biglaugh: We Pagans are very generous with our holidays and are more then happy to share them, the Christians knew a good Heathen Party when they saw one and climbed on to the band wagon. Now someone pass me a beer :smile:

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Zoroastrism-manichaeism was never a threat to Christianity, especially not in the East!!!
Trust me, luka knows his shit:):):)

Zoroastrianism and Manichaeism are not the same thing, and in the east Manichaeism most certainly was a very serious threat to Christianity, throughout Syria and Anatolia, even in Palestine, certainly in Mesopotamia where it was briefly the largest faith in the region.

You're not confusing Manichaeism with Mazdaism are you ? :wink:

Trust me I know my shit too Luka :tongue::wink:

Last edited:

the entire reason the canonical gospels were picked...

The Synod of Rome and the Synod of Carthage among other decided the canonical gospels...

Ahh ok - the gospels were definitely 'picked' then? I'd thought the Apostles put em together... :/ There's definite proof those Synods decided which to put in the NT then??

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't think Jesus was a very materialistic messiah. Would he have been waiting in line to get into Walmart on Black Friday morning? Would he expect expensive presents as proof that someone loved or cared for him?

It strikes me as odd how Capitalism and Christianity are very contradictory ideologies and the fact that somehow greed and gluttony, the cornerstones of capitalism, the engines that make it all work, are deadly sins worthy of going to hell for.

What do you think is the true spirit of Christmas? What would Jesus think of Chrismas as we conduct it today?

Heyzeus would probably take a look around, and realizing we're mostly a bunch of whacked out materialistic heathens, click his sandals 3 times, maybe an extra time for his Pop, that guy named Joe (was Joseph, the man who helped raise Heyzeus, related or the same as the one who had that dreamcoat back in the old testament? I can see the same actor playing both), and then magically disappear-maybe even ride off on that chariot some other OT man used to get around in.

Anyway, in the music world, this tune always gives me an idea what Heyzeus would be like if he were hanging around Earth these days. Yup, he'd be an overfed, long haired leaping gnome starring in a Hollywood movie.

The Heyzeus/Jesus Song

Seriously, I think Heyzeus lived in some form, may or may not have been all they said he was, may have even been a SUPERSTAR which may have helped him get past the sacrilege stuff (like this post) which goes on. His big thing was people living a good life and helping others whenever and wherever they could. If people got that message (not hurting or cheating others, living decent) then he'd probably be less bothered by how we got to that place or what we were doing to stay there.

Now someone pass me some nog.

Last edited:

I personally follow the school of thinking that none of the canonical Gospels can have been written in the form we know them any earlier than the third century and I certainly don't believe that any can have been written within the lifetime of anyone who actually knew Christ personally.

What about James? I know it's contended, but many scholars believe James is the oldest book in the New Testament and may even have been written by James the brother of Jesus.

I didn't realize that John Calvin was the father of present-day American christian fundamentalism. I thought it was a much later development, like late nineteenth century.

In a way, he was. Back when Christianity was a start-up, the Christians were largely poor and persecuted. After the fall of the Roman empire and the middle ages began, medieval society was so fief-based that wealth wasn't really a problem unless you were ennobled but then nobles were supposed to be wealthy because they were the assistants of God's temporal representative, the monarch, who ruled in the name of God and the church. It was when the middle classes started growing at the end of the 14th century that a peculiar problem of how to deal with rich non-noble, non-royal, non-ecclesiastical people. The church could be rich as God deserved splendor and riches and so did his servants. Kings could be rich because they were fortuned by God to rule the people. Nobles could be rich because they served the monarch and the church. Peasants were always relatively poor so when peasants turned into merchants and land owners, there was no justification for their wealth. This may seem trivial to us but in medieval thinking, it was important. Medievals had three pillars of society (remember the Estates General of France?): The church, the king and nobles, and the peasantry. Each had their place, each had their function, and each did had a very specific role. Peasants may have far outnumbered the clergy and the nobility/royalty but it was they who, if they lived piously, were definitely going to heaven.

If poor wasn't what non-nobles and non-clergy weren't supposed to be, then why on earth were they amassing wealth? To be wealthy was, in the medieval mind, a gift from God. If you ruled then you deserved it and God showed you his favor by making you fortunate in wealth. Wealth also was not necessarily precious metals and gold. Many wealthy people were land poor and to be wealthy was to hold resources in trust for the common good. Peasants may not have expected much, but they did expect protection from their nobility and king, the grace of God from their church, and the opportunity to work the land the nobles and king owned or to have their trade goods purchased by the wealthy. In short, it was a kickback scheme and it worked very well when things were balanced.

The rise of the middle class presented issues for the common peasantry who weren't keeping up with the Joneses. They wondered how such a thing could happen and it was such a concern that, at first, many rich merchant families were ennobled to quell suspicion that God was favoring some peasants over others in such an obviously explicit fashion. If common peasants could get rich, then perhaps it wasn't God who had anything to do with it. As you might imagine, the medieval power structure did not want that kind of question raised.

Luther, and later Calvin, were essentially pointing out what had been largely suspected and accepted in those countries where the peasantry were turning into a middle class: God did favor those he loved with riches but one needn't be noble or clergy to be so. Luther said that many things in his Theses, but the really important one was that faith alone was enough to achieve salvation. With that, the middle class could obtain salvation without having to give away all their money via those pesky good acts. Calvin improved on this by emphasizing that if you're rich and prosperous then it's a good sign that God is favoring you and thus you will be saved. Certainly give to charity and all that, but on your death bed, really truly believing in God is all that you'll need to enter heaven so feel free to be generous.... in your will. This is why Protestantism made such a big hit among the wealthy. Luther and Calvin delivered a slight but important twist on the medieval mindset which legitimized the accumulation of wealth and capital... even the obscene accumulation of wealth and capital because you could do these things and go to heaven too!

Why do you believe that the Q exists? Why are you using a Coptic codex to cite Jesus, rather than a canonical book?

I'm not accusing you of anything... I'm just curious.

I don't know if Q exists but I'm in with the scholars who believe that the four gospels are all from a central source and that Thomas is also derived from Q in a purer form than the other four are.

The four gospels tend to leave one wondering just how dangerous Jesus could have been. He seems like just one of various spouting prophets who makes an occasional nuisance of himself. Thomas reveals a Jesus with some seriously radical ideals who, if he had a following, would prove to be dangerous enough to warrant the attention of the highest powers in Judea.

I know that Thomas is a Gnostic text but I'm not convinced Jesus himself wasn't a Gnostic or, at least, influenced heavily by them.

One of the fun things about being a nominal Unitarian is that questions and theories like these aren't forbidden by any dogma. I'm free to interpret Jesus, Mohamed, and yes, even Zoroaster as I see fit.

If you want to see what a dumb-ass perversion Americans are making of Christianity, read about the prosperity gospel (article in The Atlantic).

I'm reading it right after posting this. Thank you Cal!

Zoroastrianism and Manichaeism are not the same thing, and in the east Manichaeism most certainly was a very serious threat to Christianity, throughout Syria and Anatolia, even in Palestine, certainly in Mesopotamia where it was briefly the largest faith in the region.

You're not confusing Manichaeism with Mazdaism are you ? :wink:

Trust me I know my shit too Luka :tongue::wink:

Please keep this on point. I'd love to see you two discuss this without getting personal. Marquess of Queensbury on this one gentlemen!