Would you befriend a gay guy?

D

deleted1488092

I was once taught a valuable lesson regarding this. I got a job at a pub when I was at college. I was somewhat naive.

Anyway, turned out the pub had gay nights. Well I definitely was not prejudiced, just ignorant. One evening early a guy walked in on a non-gay night. No one else in and we got chatting. He seemed a nice guy. After a while he asked why the pub was so quiet. I said that I thought possible that a lot of locals were put off by the reputation of the pub as a gay haunt (I did not say this in agreement with that view, just as a possible factor).

He said he had just moved nearby and produced a copy of I think a Gay Times listing that named the pub as gay friendly.

I apologised in case he thought I was being in any way rude by my comments about local anti-gay sentiment.

Anyway, we got chatting some more generally, and was fine. At one point he said to me that one thing he got a lot when men knew he was gay was them worrying he was going to try to bum them. As he so wisely said, of course. most of them need not have worried as he didn't fancy them anyway, and the others he did not tend to drug and rape against their will as a rule.

I did tell him at some point I was straight, but not in a defensive context. By this stage I think it was just a mention of my gf at the time, so not even direct.

Finally, can safely say that have had a fair number of gay friends and colleagues down the years. Even employed one to the slightly raised eyebrows of others in the company at the time, and no, I didn't do as rebellious act. Just cos the guy was good for the job. With some I have happily compared tales of sexual adventures, and with others that has never been a topic of conversation. Don't tell everyone, but it's a secret I have discovered. Not all gay guys are alike! Some are lovely and some are 'orrid, just like us straightie pies!

By way, guess the name of the pub.......................................Yep! The Queens Head :)

Reactions: NCbear and Gj816

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Of course. My best friend is gay. I also have a gay man I employee to help me in the yard and around the house doing different projects. Doesn't matter to me who he fucks. He's a good worker and good help is hard to find.

He has seen me naked before and it was no biggie for me or him. I just wasn't expecting anyone to come through the front door without knocking. But glad he felt at home enough around me to come on in.

There are more things to talk about than our sex lives.

giselle.xoxo

Legendary Member
Media
Of course. My best friend is gay. I also have a gay man I employee to help me in the yard and around the house doing different projects. Doesn't matter to me who he fucks. He's a good worker and good help is hard to find.

He has seen me naked before and it was no biggie for me or him. I just wasn't expecting anyone to come through the front door without knocking. But glad he felt at home enough around me to come on in.

There are more things to talk about than our sex lives.

I love these posts and friendships.

Reactions: Gj816

Ohio419

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
One of my best friends is gay. That’s never stopped me from hanging out with him. We’ve been friends since the 7th grade when he moved to Ohio. First time he told me about his sexuality was in high school. It was just me that knew about it for a long time till he finally told his family in his late 20s. You honestly wouldn’t know he’s gay just by talking to him or knowing him unless he told you.

the amount of times we’ve went camping, fishing, biking or worked on houses and vehicles together . Many things to do and talk about other then his sexuality. Though the times I’ve seen him in his underwear or naked I have to ask him why he’s always been single? Lol.

thickcockjames

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you were out one night and got talking to a guy that after a while you started to think may be gay would you continue to become friends with him or distance yourself?

Yes, happens all the time to me. I've never understood the difficulty people have with friendship, either a man and a women just being friends, or a man and another man or gay man...whatever. Friendship is easy, just be honest with the person, and act like a decent human being.

Buddie

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
One of my best friends is gay. That’s never stopped me from hanging out with him. We’ve been friends since the 7th grade when he moved to Ohio. First time he told me about his sexuality was in high school. It was just me that knew about it for a long time till he finally told his family in his late 20s. You honestly wouldn’t know he’s gay just by talking to him or knowing him unless he told you.

the amount of times we’ve went camping, fishing, biking or worked on houses and vehicles together . Many things to do and talk about other then his sexuality. Though the times I’ve seen him in his underwear or naked I have to ask him why he’s always been single? Lol.

Nice story of your friend and your friendship with him.

Reactions: NCbear

cofrader

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Perhaps not at night I can do small talk but my focus is on women when I was hunting.

During the day could be more likely if he is a good and interesting person.

Reactions: NCbear
D

deleted2837791

Sure. I think I'm becoming friends with a bi-guy at the moment.

Reactions: Rusguy_96

PeterGold

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Copied my answer from another thread: In general the forum 'Ask a straight man' contains tons of questions regarding if you have some kind of gay tendency... No... Some of us have no interest at all in gay people (in a sexual way), but I respect every kind of sexuality, without being interested in the same gender in any way. If you are an exhibitionist or whatever the reason might be to have a profile on this site doesn't mean that you have an interest in other men. Positive comments on pictures is always appreciated no mater who they come from. I have several friends who are gay, and no I have not any sexual interest in them at all. We don't have sexual mutual interests, but that doesn't mean we can't hang out without a hidden sexual purpose. There is a mutual respect, and I have no problem with sex stories though it doesn't give me any urges. :)

mako shark

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've had gay male friends and relatives since the 70s that I was aware of and it never bothered me. Lesbians on the other hand are a bit harder to befriend :D

Reactions: Gj816

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Copied my answer from another thread: In general the forum 'Ask a straight man' contains tons of questions regarding if you have some kind of gay tendency... No... Some of us have no interest at all in gay people (in a sexual way), but I respect every kind of sexuality, without being interested in the same gender in any way. If you are an exhibitionist or whatever the reason might be to have a profile on this site doesn't mean that you have an interest in other men. Positive comments on pictures is always appreciated no mater who they come from. I have several friends who are gay, and no I have not any sexual interest in them at all. We don't have sexual mutual interests, but that doesn't mean we can't hang out without a hidden sexual purpose. There is a mutual respect, and I have no problem with sex stories though it doesn't give me any urges. :)
An honest reply which is appreciated. Especially good is your comment you feel positive comments and likes on posted picture is appreciated regardless if from a male or female. Wonderful attitude. I wish all folks on this site felt the same. I like to click on a new members pics that I liked the pic to be nice. I did so this morning and got such a rude nasty message from the guy belittling me that can’t I read he only likes women and does Not want men looking at his pic and etc etc... of course I reported it but was so glad to see the your comment on likes from anyone being fine. Somehow that guys message upset me which surprised me. It made me feel he is the type that would bash bi or gay guys that would sit next to him in a bar. Wow. I hope all straight, bi, and gay folks on this have respect for all other.

My reply to forum question follow as a separate post.

Reactions: PeterGold

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Long ago I had a room mate for eleven years at boarding school. I was a regular straight guy with no gay tendencies. During my 10th year my best friend, my room mate, told me he liked guys. I felt betrayed, pissed, and beat the shit out of him. My friend was closeted and felt he trusted me enough to come out to. Even though i was privileged to be the one he selected to tell and I was a horrible fucking asshole and stupid harming him. We made up within a week and got back to being friends after I came to my senses but I learned a big life lesson - never ever judge a person based on their lifestyle or looks. take the time to get to know them. Long story short, after graduating I never saw my friend again and life sadly dished him nothing but tragedy after tragedy. We lost touch but I have always made it a point to talk to whoever sits next to me regardless if the queen or dustman, gay or straight, male or female. I learned my lesson and miss my friend. If I could find him, I’d give him a fucking big hug.

My sexuality now runs fluid bi (yeah you never know what life holds for you) but I definitely would not have any issue with anyone becoming my friend. Could care less about you sexuality and looks .just be nice.

Sorry maybe I shouldn’t have posted here since I’m not 100 straight. please no offense meant.

D

deleted879486

If you were out one night and got talking to a guy that after a while you started to think may be gay would you continue to become friends with him or distance yourself?
Continue to be friends. I dont judge! once he is sound