Would you date a man who doesn't pay or is late with his child support?

Discussion in 'Women's Issues' started by Wyldgusechaz, Jan 6, 2008.

?

Would you date a man who doesn't pay or is late with his court ordered child support?

Poll closed Jan 13, 2008.
  1. yes

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. No

32 vote(s)
    91.4%
  1. Wyldgusechaz

Wyldgusechaz New Member

Yes or no.

2. classact1979

classact1979 New Member

Albums:
    LOL Great poll. Hopefully this will teach some men something they've yet to discover. I had this "blind date" with this guy I met on a chat line a couple of years ago. First date and all he did was complain about paying child support to the ex. I extended my hand over the table after dinner, and said "Hi, have we met? I'm the single mom of three that works her butt full time and has to stay on the ex to stay current on his child support". LMAO And he didn't understand why I didn't want a second date.

3. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Why are you single? Awesome T&A! :smile:

4. ask604

ask604 New Member

No I would not!! I was once a single mom and lets say X-asshole was always late or just didn't care enough about his child too pay. :mad:

If they aren't responsible enough to support their own flesh and blood, how will they be with you??!! Says a lot about character.

Credit is another good judge of character. I know "shit happens" but.......

I'm married to a 30 something who has immaculant credit. The X-asshole (late 40 something) still has to buy a vehicle in his Mom's name due to bad credit. He has no retirement and is always changing jobs!! He's still one step ahead of the bill collectors!! Leopards don't change their spots is the case here.

5. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

No.
    But, unless he told me, I can't figure out how I would know this sort of thing if we were just dating. Further, until we were about to become serious, like marriage, it would not be any of my business.

6. No_Strings

Gold Member

If I was a woman, I would - but only if he was over 25 and financially stable. I would need a real man to look after me if I had a vagina, to help me control my life.

7. snoozan

Gold Member

honestly, i would even think twice about a man who has children, an ex, and financial obligations to them. it can be a real mess. however, i haven't been in the dating game for a long time so i don't even know what's out there.

8. invisibleman

Gold Member

I don't want a man with kids. Complications. Complications. Complications.

9. Hippie Hollow Girl

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Not a good idea.

I've never been in this situation.....but I have a friend who was cohabitating with a man who was late on his child support. And his -ex tried to have my friend's wages garnished. She claimed they were common law married.

Not a good idea unless you are willing to pay the guys child support.

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    My thoughts, precisely.

11. vibrationzzz

Gold Member

Albums:
    I suppose it could be said here about dating or having a relationship with a female who has children.....we ALL get to an age where we ALL have a history (baggage).My kids have grown up, and no, never once did I object or refuse to pay maintenance payments. Nor visiting or keeping contact....sometimes this was extremley difficult.

I have no problems being in a relationship with a woman who has had or has children.......but in answering the question... I agree, I would not date a dropkick mum...nor would I expect a female to date a dropkick dad.

12. whatireallywant

Gold Member

I'd prefer a guy who doesn't have or want kids. However, since those are in very short supply, I would consider dating a guy who has kids from a previous relationship, as long as he doesn't want any more kids. But he has to pay the child support!

13. Principessa

Gold Member

HELL NO! Next question. :cool:

hahaha so instead you found a real woman to control and take care of you? :wink: Cool. :smile:

I disagree. A man who is consistently late or does not pay child support is not a man of good character or integrity. This is something you need to know early on.

How soon we forget! :rolleyes::eek: Aren't you the one who made this post just yesterday? You were concerned about whether or not to confront a lover about a little white lie.

14. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

I'd prefer a guy with no dependant kids, although when a guy's over a certain age he's more likely to have kids than not, if he didn't pay child support I'd dump him, I'd think he was irresponsible as well as heartless - however if it was just a blip, for instance if he had been ill and unable to work for a while and intended catching up with it as soon as possible I'd consider that ok.

15. Principessa

Gold Member

16. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Any man whose mother is allowed to drop in unannounced isn't the man for me NJ :)

17. Principessa

Gold Member

hahaha :biggrin1: Perhaps that's one of those weird American customs. :confused: Not everyone does it; but some men (mama's boys) allow their mothers into every corner of their lives. :rolleyes:

18. SpoiledPrincess

Gold Member

Oh it's not just American some guys here do it too, have their mums popping in to keep an eye on them, or to do their washing or ironing, perpetual boys.

19. Principessa

Gold Member

If she'll do my ironing too we may be able to work out a deal. :biggrin1:

20. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Yes, but my situation was a direct lie and continued lie after I asked about events in his life. However, it is a small issue.

I do not understand how dating someone gives me a right to know their financial situation? If they do not divulge information about their child support issues, and I am assuming most do not, I wouldn't know and would not ask. Again, this is a casual dating situation. If we were serious, or close to becoming serious, and they mentioned kids or not paying child support, then it would make a difference.

But, I would not expect this sort of personal information while casually dating, just as I would not ask about credit, student loans, mortgage, etc. He has a right to his privacy, and I would take other factors into consideration when determining quality of character as I do with any other person I posses limited information about. Most likely, failing to pay child support would not be their only issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted