Would you eat cloned meat??

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
No! The thought of it reminds me of the scene in "The Fly" where Jeff Goldblum cooks Geena Davis a steak which he had teleported. That scene always grossed me out for some reason.:eek:

D_Humper E Bogart

Experimental Member
Media
You think that meat you're eating is "well bred?" Pfft...the only reason you aint got Mad Cow Disease is because you have a FBI and a good cover.

Cloning an animal is..guess what...cloning an animal. NOT genetically modifying it, which is surprising as the US is the #1 in genetically modified produce, now THAT is something that is closer to weirdness.

Note to folks: This is the 21st century. Free choice to say no.

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Cloned animals so far have been weak and sickly. Sick animals require a lot of hormones and antibiotics. The chances are very good that cloning will only result in sub par animals so that means the meat won't taste good. I don't see cloned meat in the supermarket anytime soon. However, the FDA in its infinite wisdom has decided that it doesn't need to be labeled as such. Given the phenomenal costs involved, major hurdles will have to be overcome before it becomes affordable.

Amygirl

Cherished Member
Media
Home of the Melbourne Cup and the best coffee
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Having read the Kansas City Star piece, I am left wondering..........why?

What's in it for the ranchers that they are hailing it as a "step into the future"?

Are they that bad at breeding cattle the old fashioned way?

They admit that the technology is still expensive so it can't be for cost reasons.

Why, why, why?

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
Having read the Kansas City Star piece, I am left wondering..........why?

What's in it for the ranchers that they are hailing it as a "step into the future"?

Are they that bad at breeding cattle the old fashioned way?

They admit that the technology is still expensive so it can't be for cost reasons.

Why, why, why?

I suppose there is an advantage in the fact that they can breed healthier cattle, with larger parts of meat on them. More meat=more food.

dags

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm usually all for new ideas, but this is not one of those times. I dont think this cloning is a good idea. A good breeding program should be good enough. Although this is'nt necessarily related, my uncle died of Mad cow disease (Creutzfeldt-Jakob) about 10 years ago, he did travel outside the U.S but we cant say for sure where he ate the infected meat. Allot of people are unaware of the fact there HAVE BEEN deaths in the U.S from this.