Would you ever cohabitate with a person who voted opposite your beliefs?

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If you are a right winger or a left winger, would you ever consider living with, dating or marrying or cheating on your partner with someone who had views entirely different from yours?

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Dating yes.
Living with, yes done that.
Marrying? Not likely.
Cheating because of politic views? Maybe.

My grandmother dealt with this by canceling out his vote in every election for about sixty years. Papa would never tell her how he intended to vote and tried to keep it a secret, yet somehow she always learned how he was going to vote. Then after the election, she would tell him how she voted and laugh at him.

He told me just before his 90th birthday, that it use to really piss him off and that she never was wrong.

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think my partner are in sync in our beliefs and goals; however I grew up in a family that did not discuss who they voted for. I continue that tradition.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
If you are a left winger, would you ever consider living with, dating or marrying or cheating on your partner with someone who had views entirely different from yours?

Living with a Conservative...I could...but could they live with me...I doubt it. Prove me wrong.

Dating a Conservative...I could...but could they date me...I doubt it. Prove me wrong.

(Gay) marrying a Conservative...I could...but would they marry me. I doubt it. Prove me wrong.

A Conservative cheating...well.

dolfette

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
yes...the man is...is...a...*sob*TORY! i can do differing beliefs and opposing political views as long as he has morals, compassion and honesty.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Seems to me there are enough things to disagree over in a relationship, without adding politics to it. You should be able to talk about current events without rancor.

D_hybabi

Experimental Member
Media
yes. i need someone to debate with, someone who we can help each other with life, someone who doesn't agree with everything i say. man, that's boring!

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Not a problem. It gives you something to talk about on cold winter nights. The most important thing is to be respectful to each other. If you don't respect someone enough to accept that their beliefs and opinions can be different from your own, you shouldn't be with them anyway.

The deal breakers for me are morals and rudeness.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No way!!!

I've been surrounded all my life by pretty much nothing BUT people who vote/believe polar opposite of me, and I hate to argue so I have to keep quiet - then people jump on my case for being quiet! Sheesh!

And, again, I hate to argue, and I'd hate fuming inside because the person I'm involved with is like all the rest of the people surrounding me and not more like me (Besides, I want somebody who can back me up! :biggrin1:)

And not only that, but political decisions from the opposite of what I believe have personally harmed me, and political decisions from "my" side have personally helped me. So I don't take too well to the idea of dating someone who supports policies that harm me personally!

Now oddly enough, I am willing to date someone of another religion, as long as he isn't a fundamentalist or really preachy about it. The differences in religions often are in the details, whereas often political differences are entirely opposing philosophies. So I have an easier time dealing with people of different religions than of different political beliefs.

Last edited: