Would you fuck/date/marry someone with a strong history of cancer in his/her family?

B_quietguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The last time I looked, you couldnt "catch" cancer by fucking someone..... Crabs, maybe, but not cancer.....

Actually, you can catch cancers from some people. Some cancers are caused by viruses which are spread by sex with infected people.

From the Wikipedia article on cervical cancer: "Human papillomavirus (HPV) infection is a necessary factor in the development of nearly all cases of cervical cancer."

And from the Wikipedia article on HPV: "More than 30 to 40 types of HPV are typically transmitted through sexual contact and infect the anogenital region."

Scientists are researching to determine which other cancers are also caused by viruses.

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I don't know about anyone else's experiences, but family medical history has never been a topic of conversation on any of my first dates. Discussions like that tend to come way down the line, by which point it's either a deal breaker or irrelevant. I can't think of any medical condition that would be a complete killer for me, although something like MND would make me think. Hell, I've got family history of heart disease, cancer, diabetes (Type I & II), depression, alcoholism, you name it, so if anyone's that picky about medical potential, I'm certainly no catch.All of my grandparents lived into their 80s. So did my great-grandparents. Some of them lived into their 90s. However, my mother died in her 40s and some of my uncles, aunts and cousins have died at various ages and from a range of causes. Looking at the family tree, it seems that modern life is the killer. Two generations ago and further back, the main causes of death for people out of infancy in my family tree were old age and accidents. Most of the more recent ones have been heart disease and cancer.I tend not to find obese people attractive. Cuddly, plump, overweight, yes, but not when it comes to the stage of having to wear a bra for your back and not being able to clean yourself because you can't reach any more. By the same token, I'm not attracted to scrawny people either. Lean, fit and athletic are also fine in my book, but when body fat drops to low teens or single figures, so does any attraction. Research has shown that it's much less healthy to be underweight than overweight. There's a much greater risk of health complications in skinny people, so if you won't date a fat person based on potential health concerns, you'd better avoid skinny people too.Anyway, all of that's completely irrelevant if you get run over by a bus tomorrow, so who cares? Enjoy life and date who you like, not who you think your friends or anyone else would like.

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Or heart disease, or senility, or any other genetic and potentially fatal disease/disorder?

Please see SouthernGirl's thread http://www.lpsg.org/173905-would-you-fuck-date-marry.html for background.

In that thread a lot of people are saying they'd never marry a fat person because of concerns about longevity and overall fitness as life progresses.

It's been a few days, and I finally noticed the part of the tiitle which ate at me. You say, 'a strong history of...' There's where it becomes interesting. A strong history of course does not mean the person will definitely have cancer, coronary blockage, dementia, etc. Then again, a weak history doesn't mean they'll be in the clear. If in the past 4 generations, there have been 10 deaths from cancer (3 breast, 2 lung, 1 kidney, 1 pancreatic, 1 stomach. 2 colon) out of 102 people, the risk is still there. If only 3 out of 30 have had heart disease, if only 3 out of 40 have had some level of break with sanity, the risk still exists. In other words, there's always a risk.

Additionally the risk doesn't end simply because there are 10 generations in the clear. As I indicated earlier, there are recessive genes. A recessive Y can be passed along for centuries and a recessive X and one day there's a child with the disease, completely baffling the family. Muscular Dystrophy is an example. It can remain neutral from appearance for generations and requires both parents to supply a marker for it. Some forms of MD (Muscular Dystrophy is a large umbrella encompassing many forms of neuromuscular disease) don't exhibit until after a sex life has started, so, once more the genetics get passed along. A man or woman might not show the early symptoms of ALS until past 30, 4 or 5 children might exist by then.

*note, there are also some diseases, neuromuscular and others, which are linked to chemicals and/or radiation exposure. The chemicals alter genetic code, mutate genes, in essence create a defective gene which is passed along. Radiation exposure makes changes. Persons who were perfectly heallthy, can have a child with disease. Toxic wastes in the ground and the water and the air, are altering the genetic fabric daily. We aren't always aware of the exposure to the elements which can destroy our offspring.

Using the mutated gene theory, let's say you meet an attractive person- you're drawn to their charm, their wit, their intellect. You date, have sex, get married- at about age 45, 20 years into the relationship, the results of spending days with a babysitter down the hill from the Love Canal, begin to show. Multiple cancers set in. Did you know that was going to happen? It's a risk which we all take whenever entering into any relationship. Go for love, not for what the future might bring- what if you reject a person and 50-60 years later, they are still in good health? All that fun and togetherness, lost because of a perceived future you didn't want to deal with.

Over-reaching

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't see why I wouldn't fuck someone with that strong history, or date them for that matter. And if she was the person I wanted to marry, then yes, marry too.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
It's been a few days, and I finally noticed the part of the tiitle which ate at me. You say, 'a strong history of...' There's where it becomes interesting. *snippage of informed wisdom* All that fun and togetherness, lost because of a perceived future you didn't want to deal with.

I agree completely, N.

I use a family history of cancer (or senility, heart disease or similar) precisely because there is only the perception of a potential future health problem. I feel there is a very close comparison there with obesity.

I think it is totally unreasonable to write someone off because they are at higher risk of a given disease. I think it is totally unreasonable to write someone off on obesity related health grounds.

I was simply trying to illustrate that comparison.

loganxxx22

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you won't marry someone because of a health issue, then you were never 100% in love with them in the 1st place. I feel sorry for people who are selfish in that respect. My Dad recently battled and won cancer, but no matter what my Mom would never have left him. And those would ditch someone on that basis may have the ultimate irony of getting ill themselves with no one to care for them.

As far as weight is concerned it is a health hazard. It's also a national epidemic. We all should aspire to eat better and end our unhealthy habits and eating inferior foods. There is no doubt you can eliminate a ton of health issues and live longer if you get in better shape.

But if your happy as you are and you have someone who loves you and are willing to live with those risks, you shouldn't need anyone elses approval.

Just my 2 cents.

D_wibbles

1st Like
Media
this is by far the most stupid ass post iv ever seen i dont know were to start ..the fact that u compare fat people to cancer is revolting. two if you had cancer would some one wanna fuck you? all people want fucked and loved. ur a ass crack for asking a dumb question.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
this is by far the most stupid ass post iv ever seen i dont know were to start ..the fact that u compare fat people to cancer is revolting. two if you had cancer would some one wanna fuck you? all people want fucked and loved. ur a ass crack for asking a dumb question.

Thanks for trying but you're just not understanding the post.