would you go under the knife?

D

deleted356736

All surgical procedures have a risk, and having worked in healthcare for many years it would take a lot to get me to have a procedure unless it was really, really necessary. I quote an actual example: a woman goes to hospital and has an operation to correct something wrong with her big toes and dies. It turned out that post-operative, she was given the incorrect dose of a medicine (20mg rather than 2mg).

Beyond those sorts of mix-ups, there is the ever-present problem of post-operative infection, which cannot be prevented 100% of the time. Some of the bugs in hospitals are really nasty, anti-biotic resistant things too.

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
All surgical procedures have a risk, and having worked in healthcare for many years it would take a lot to get me to have a procedure unless it was really, really necessary. I quote an actual example: a woman goes to hospital and has an operation to correct something wrong with her big toes and dies. It turned out that post-operative, she was given the incorrect dose of a medicine (20mg rather than 2mg).

Beyond those sorts of mix-ups, there is the ever-present problem of post-operative infection, which cannot be prevented 100% of the time. Some of the bugs in hospitals are really nasty, anti-biotic resistant things too.

That is definitely true.

When I had my plastic surgery, I almost died. When they did the anesthesia, they inserted some tube into my lungs incorrectly. This caused my lungs to fill up with liquid. What was supposed to be a simple outpatient procedure, turned into a five day hospital stay, where I had to hooked up to oxygen and retaught how to breath.

Having said all that, I would gladly go through it all again. The benefits were just that great. I don't even mind the fact that I almost died.

People who hate plastic surgery, IMO, can all go to hell. It really changed my life for the better and if I had the money I would do it again.