Would you pledge your virginity to your father?

abvavrg

Just Browsing
Media
The notion of a father-daughter ball is really cute, and I like that idea, but the whole idea seems misguided to me. Even the word "pure" in this context has connotations that, to be honest, I find fairly offensive. I'm neither a virgin nor married, and neither is my girlfriend; the implication that we are impure-- damaged, or whatever-- is outrageous. If I had a daughter and she chose to have sex, I would be more concerned with the healthiness of the relationship or if she felt her own self-worth reflected in a positive way (that is, if she were happy), than whether or not she were married.

But, well, I do not have any attachment to antiquated ideologies that universally categorize sex, loving or not, based on its concomitance with some legal contract.

ledroit

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

No, this is twice as creepy as it sounds at first. Why doesn't the daughter simply marry her father, and pledge that no one else will ever touch her beautiful vagina unless he is right there in the middle of the whole thing, blessing the hymen as it breaks? Perhaps giving it a ritual kiss?

What a load of crap. Is there some reason the girl can't think? Have her parents done anything at all to cultivate common sense in their kids, or good judgement? Is she a Barbie Doll?

Real kids with a shred of intelligence can actualy develop common sense on their own with a little coaching. This is the creepiest part of this kind of crypto religious crap (in addition to the incestuousness).

Fake fatherhood is not religious, nor is stupidity in lieu of parenthood. This is cheap drama, of the sort you find when one or both parents are sick and living in a fantasy world themselves. There is nothing even remotely religious about things that are simply not real, or ordered toward reality. Children have got to live in a real world, and a parent who is not preparing them for that is doing them real harm.

titan1968

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
HazelGod, those are my sentiments exactly!

Agreed...between the thinly veiled subtext of incestuousness and the reinforcement of the antiquated notion that women are property to be passed unspoiled from father to husband, I can't imagine any enlightened person not being creeped out by this.

I remember watching a French documentary on precisely that topic a few months ago. It made me indignant.

What I gathered from watching the documentary is that the people who believe in this nonsense also believe that the fight against (another form of) fundamentalism and terror in Afghanistan and Iraq is a justified one. What hypocrisy!

D

deleted13797

There is nothing even remotely religious about things that are simply not real, or ordered toward reality.

Actually, that's the essence of religion.

bigeight_98

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Okay, that one made me laugh out loud, NIC.

Seriously, I'm still trying to figure out how the father is supposed to "protect the girls’ chastity until they marry." Are we talking chastity belts here?

Also, did you notice the wording of the "pledge" where it talks about the father promises to "cover" the daughter? Someone needs to check their Merriam-Webster. According to the dictionary, one of the meanings of the word "cover" is "to copulate with (a female animal) <a horse covers a mare>."

So yes, I'd say it's way creepy.

D

deleted13797

Okay, that one made me laugh out loud, NIC.

Seriously, I'm still trying to figure out how the father is supposed to "protect the girls’ chastity until they marry." Are we talking chastity belts here?

Also, did you notice the wording of the "pledge" where it talks about the father promises to "cover" the daughter? Someone needs to check their Merriam-Webster. According to the dictionary, one of the meanings of the word "cover" is "to copulate with (a female animal) <a horse covers a mare>."

So yes, I'd say it's way creepy.

The war metaphors are creepy as fuck too: “Are you ready to war for your daughters’ purity?” Though those are used by the christian conservatives for nearly everything, not just keeping their daughters "pure".

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Extremely creepy, has undertones of incest, possession and keeping your adult children in a perpetual state of childhood. I have adult children, what they're doing sexually is none of my business and vice versa. When they were children I was open with them sexually, told them all they needed to know about the mechanics but also tried to underline that meaningless sex robbed it of lots of the joy. I never told them not to have sex at any age, kids are going to do it when they want and nothing will stop them but I tried to equip them to make an informed choice. Then I took my hands off- they're adults I tried to give them the tools to cope with being grown up.

D

deleted13797

Long but interesting read. Vaguely related, it's about the christian right in america and a presidential hopeful in particular.
Rolling Stone : God's Senator

Interesting note: my friend from mexico says that there's no religion in politics there, unlike here, candidates don't even bring it up.

GBF64

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
:smile: Good one,lol.
Sick pledge. A new generation of young women who will not fully understand the meaning of why you should try on the shoe to see if it fits before marrying it".
Are these women going to run to daddy after they are married saying " daddy, why does'nt it fit inside me, or why does it keep slipping out".:rolleyes:

Fat Tanuki

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The entire idea of "virginity pledges" is sad and weird. But then again, I find most things having to do with sex or the human body that come from "Christian" America (read neo-medieval) to be sad and weird and regressive. I also think it's a bit delusional on the parent's part to think that you can controll your kid's sexuality without having a wierd and sad result. Go ahead - make them more uptight and hung-up about sex. America really needs some more of that.

witch

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Will chastity belts make a come back??

Dad would be the last one I would talk sex or the lack of with...now Mom was kool about the subject. :)

Felixstowe

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I can't really blame parents for not wanting there kids to be fucking like a pack of wild gorrillas in spring time. I think though, that throughout human history humans have always been very sexual creature.
Hence the saying, go forth and be fruitful.

I am a Christian so I have my reserves on the matters of sex, but just because I'm a Christian it doesn't make me a frigid prude, or a cold fish, or a I am better than thou type. They really piss me off.
If I love someone and I feel something for them then I will have sex with them. If I don't I won't its that simple. (Hence the reason, I've only ever had sex with a few girls, but the experiences were always mind blowing. This is also the reason I won't fuck for the sake of fucking, its fun, but it just isn't the same for me.)

Making a virginity pledge, is only as useful as the conviction of the person behind the pledge. If they are prepared to be married before sex, then it will work for them. If they aren't, then it will most likely fail.