Would you support a candidate who was ideal to be our leader...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by flipctflingo, Jan 3, 2012.

1. flipctflingo

flipctflingo Member

Even if you differ on a personal issue such as abortion, gay marriage, drug reform, etc? Even if they could pull us completely out of debt and establish us as an ideal, strong, and independent country once again?

2. B_enzia35

B_enzia35 New Member

Actually, no one candidate is going to absolutely perfect for someone. Some topics may take precedence though.

3. flipctflingo

flipctflingo Member

Pull the US*

4. D_Judith K Rantz

D_Judith K Rantz New Member

Yes I could. Newt Gingerich is anti-same sex marriage and very conservative on the marriage issue. I very much diagree with him on that, but I will still vote for him if he ends up becoming the nominee. I also like Ron Paul's ideas at the base, but he is too extreme to win with the broader US audience.

I think it's absolutely idiotic to give married couples special tax cuts and benefits just because they are married. Marriage is not required to be committed. Being married is a personal and individual decision, not a federal one. The government should not be involved and everyone should be treated equally in the eyes of the IRS.

#4 D_Judith K Rantz, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  5. billybones

billybones Active Member

I'd have to say no, I would not. Not because I seek the personal approval of any politician, but because anyone who can not think their way out of their position on those issues is likely not going to be capable of all those things you mentioned. I understand it's a hypothetical question, but that doesn't mean logic can't be applied to the answer.

6. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    The question the op poses is the very "meat of the matter" for Iowa voters, for the entire GOP constituency.

Their dilemma is that they (as a whole) don't really like ANY of the contenders for the GOP nod, primarily because none of them fully embraces what this or that faction of the conservative base most hold dear. The quandary they find themselves in is that any GOP candidate that best represents the far right lunacy of the GOP would be unelectable in a national referendum. THEY know it, and have said as much.

Hence they are realizing they'll have to resign themselves to "compromising" (remember that word?) their hard-line issues in order to select a candidate who stands a chance of winning.

Of all the contenders, only Romney most fits that bill, imo, not that he isn't equally a lunatic. But the fact that he'd have broader appeal to the general populace (because of what appears to be a more middle of the road stance on some issues) is precisely why they'd never give him the nod, unless that is, they awaken to smell the coffee, pdq.

#6 b.c., Jan 3, 2012
  7. b.c.

Gold Member

Albums:
    Oh, btw, to answer the op's question more directly, yes, I'd support the "ideal" candidate, as I have in the past. Are any of the GOP field (and those like Trump who'll most likely run as independent) the "ideal" candidate, Imo? HELL NO.

8. hypoc8

hypoc8 Member

I believe most people do this every time they vote. There's always going to be issues that you don't agree with but you feel as a whole they are the best person for the job.

9. joyboytoy79

Gold Member

Albums:
    No, I'm not going to vote for Ron Paul. That is what you're really trying to ask, isn't it?

10. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

They are all lying.

11. arkfarmbear

arkfarmbear New Member

My views are likely skewed because of where I reside but I don't think a Mormon has a chance in the general election. People who oppose Obama simply because he is black have no problem opposing a candidate who is outside the fundamentalist limits on "God". I've noticed Romney has invoked God a few times lately, with the suggestion that he is obeying God's call to lead the country. Locally he has done himself more harm than good by doing so. And, these folks have proven they can and will go to the polls and vote. They gave us 8 years of Bush. If God was favoring us during his reign I would hate to see how things would've played out if God was pissed at us!

12. MickeyLee

Gold Member

i don't see how someone can be an ideal candidate if they view any segment of the population as second class. or not being worthy of every right straight, white, rich *male* folks enjoy. :smile:

#12 MickeyLee, Jan 3, 2012
  13. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

The GOP this time seems to have a very unusual bunch of candidates. We have a group of men who profess to be running for the Executive Administrative position of President of the United States, and yet, we have these same men, talking of being "legislators" and writing new law, revising old law, changing tax codes, changing civil rights, removing civil rights for minorities they don't like, and writing a health care plan.

President Obama did not himself author a health care plan. He reviewed health care plans authored by others and then had simply the power to sign or veto what had been proposed. His power does not allow him to do otherwise.

An extremist from the GOP has the potential to be just as road-blocked and "gridlocked" as the current occupant of Pennsylvania Avenue.

There are many Moderate Republicans who will not side with an extremist just as their are conservative Democrats that will not side with an extremely liberal viewpoint.

Put in an extremist and all we are going to get is more "gridlock" and nothing accomplished which of course will be as always blamed somewhere else.

Like the man or not the only one I feel capable of actually doing the job is Romney. I do not agree with the man, but, he is moderate enough to be able to see both sides.

When it comes down to the bottom line the extremism so pervasive in most of the GOP candidates could cost them the election. Given the present choice I would have to vote for Obama and it would be a "lesser of evils" not a want.

Draft saved Draft deleted