Would you vote for a hip presidential candidate?

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Quite Irate, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    The question is awkward - rather, would you be more likely to vote for a candidate considered to be a cool cat if his/her politics were very similar to those of a totally-not-cool opposition candidate?

2. Northland

Gold Member

Well, as has been seen in the past, image is a large factor.

Going back to Nixon/Kennedy- Kennedy had a better visual appeal and that grabbed a fair number of voters.

In 1984, Walter Mondale most likely lost to George H.W. Bush due to his (Mondale's) looking tired and haggard.

In 1992, it was easy for Bill Clinton to win on fresh energetic looks alone- and he had some nifty ideas as well- when he was placed next to the aging George H.W. Bush.

In 2004 part of what helped George W. Bush to attain a victory was the stiff angry look which his opponent John Kerry had.

Hillary Clinton has one big obstacle- she cannot maintain her smile on a regular basis and often looks angry and mean. This will work against her. Barrack Obama maintains a smile and conveys warmth and energy, this can only benefit him.

When it comes to my actual vote, I go according to what the candidate has to offer and whenever possible, with their proven track record- what have they done in the past. What did they have an opportunity to do which they did not follow through on? All issues which have been presented to us, the voters, will be factored into my final decision come February. If I find that Clinton and Obama are equally matched in my desires of a candidate, I will lean towards the friendlier one. (I am still working on my summary charts and they are currently running neck and neck.)

3. Osiris

Gold Member

I wouldn't. William Shakespeare put it best...

Doth a rose by any other name not smell just as sweet?

Wrapper is not as important to me as the ethics and politics of the person being elected.

4. Simon9

Simon9 Active Member

Right. I think it a shame anybody would consider voting for somebody for elected office based on their "coolness". There are enough real differences in beliefs and behaviors among candidates to give us plenty of choice. Overall, I would guess the "coolest" candidate is probably the worst for a position of serious responsibility.

I think "dweebs" like Kucinich and Paul have more to offer than plastic packaged jobs like Romney and Clinton.

5. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

That depends entirely, I suppose, on what one considers to be "cool." I know my definition of "cool" is diametrically opposed to what trendy followers define it as. (wow, awkward grammar.)

For me, it's not necessarily if they, like, y'know, use like all the like hip lingo. It's not how they dress or their hairstyles, or which trendy club they like to go to when they want to party.

To me, the absolute coolest is someone does his own thinking, does it well, and doesn't worry about if he appears cool or not.

6. rob_just_rob

Gold Member

Except Mondale ran against Reagan, who definitely looked old and worn out compared to the fiftyish Mondale.

7. Osiris

Gold Member

Good point. Not to mention that Reagan having been a Hollywood Insider, had a much better grasp on how to spin the media and issues and Mondale really didn't have the PR machine or knowledge of to defeat a Ronald Reagan.

I am however glad he won. Reagan did more for us on the world stage than any other president has since him.

8. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I'm not sure Mondale would have done any better, but I am astounded to hear you say that.

9. Northland

Gold Member

Well if you're going to get picky about it. (Now let me see how well I do at extricating myself from this blunder:Thinkingof_:)

Yes- now I recall it all. During the Reagan years, George was supposedly V.P. and to most this seemed to be the case. In reality; however, he was running everything with the able bodied assistance of William French Smith (who was conveniently posing as the Attorney General-subsequently replaced by Ed Meese in '85). What few people realized was that in 1980 when George H.W. Bush was campaigning in the primaries, he actually had been winning against Ronnie Reagan as well as John Anderson and Phillip Crane. In a strange turn of events reflecting the then changing...

You know something? I can't come up with a good reason as to how I goofed on that one. Oops! I'll just get in my car now...:drive: and exceed the speed limit to escape from this error.

10. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    I am I the only one that everytime one of the Reps say:

"We need to be more Reagan-like."

I go WTF? Seriously? I am the only one?

11. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    No. Not at all.

12. yngjock20

Gold Member

Albums:
    If the presidential candidate not only had a myspace, but a facebook and was regularly on AIM, I'd consider voting for them.

13. earllogjam

Gold Member

I'd like to say no, I choose candidates on their experience and policies but in actuality no one is immune to charisma and charm.

Never underestimate the power of being liked.

14. Quite Irate

Quite Irate Member

Albums:
    The intention of the thread is to see what people will say, not the truth.
    :wink:

Draft saved Draft deleted