Would You Want Clove and Banana Beer?

Nekoman

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I just had a Sam Adams Dunkelweizen beer that tasted like clove and banana, and I wondered why anyone would want a beer that tasted like clove and banana. I don't get it.

Anyone enjoy this kind of beer?

Anyone explain to me why I should like beer flavored with any fruit?

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
No, but I do love Belgian fruit beers so I'm hardly a purist, my favourite is Cherry flavoured belgian beer, and it tastes fantastic, but then Belgian beer is sooooo damned good anyway. Cherry adds a refrshing tang and perfume to the beer which suits it. Peach flavour is nice too as is Raspberry.

Banana is a step too far in my opinion, too tropical and too dessert. Clove is used in mulled wine and I seem to remember having had mulled beer once, so I'm guessing clove has been used to flavour beer for a very long time indeed and just went out of fashion, and now it's being revived it seems alien and new.

D

deleted556573

Well, you definitely lost me at the flavoring of banana. I hate the taste of bananas as a fruit. Banana flavored anything is absolutely disgusting to me, and makes me gag.

I do have to say, however, that one of my favorite beers is a raspberry brew from a microbrewery here in Seattle. It has a slight hint of a raspberry flavoring, with a slightly sweet taste. I love it! But as far as fruity flavors for beers go, that's it.

Clove, on the other hand.... Hmm. I have to ponder that a bit. I looooove smoking clove cigarettes. They go well with a good whiskey drink (in my opinion). I don't know if clove would be a good flavor for beer or not. Might be worth trying if I could find it without the nasty banana flavoring. :tongue:

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've actually heard good things about banana beer, but I've never tried it myself. But clove flavor? eh...

Viking_UK

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I love banana beer, but then I like the cherry, raspberry and strawberry beers too although they can be a little on the sweet side and give you a hell of a hangover if you overdo it.
I've never tried banana and clove, but I'll certainly keep an eye out for it now.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
I'm a big fan of Sam Adams but I would have no interest in this. Of course I don't like any fruit flavored beers.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
This is not a 'fruit-flavored' beer. There is no fruit added to the recipe. The yeast used in dunkelweizen creates diacetyls, some of which give off fruity flavors when pitched in combination with smoked grains. Many Oktoberfests have a hint of clove flavor as a result of a similar process.

monel

Sexy Member
Media
This is not a 'fruit-flavored' beer. There is no fruit added to the recipe. The yeast used in dunkelweizen creates diacetyls, some of which give off fruity flavors when pitched in combination with smoked grains. Many Oktoberfests have a hint of clove flavor as a result of a similar process.

I don't mind the subtle flavors that result from the brewing process. It is intentional fruit flavoring of beer that I don't like and usually find the taste offensive. I took from the OP that there was an intent to give the particular beer a banana flavor.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
I don't mind the subtle flavors that result from the brewing process. It is intentional fruit flavoring of beer that I don't like and usually find the taste offensive. I took from the OP that there was an intent to give the particular beer a banana flavor.

Diacetyls can be our friends. They can also make beers taste like band-aids.