Writers that lost you at the end and you vowed never to read a book by them again..?

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Anne Rice(once she was starting to get religious and mighty than thou. Though it could have dated back much further than that. It was when Lestat lost his powers at The Queen of The Damned. That's when the trouble began and then escalated further into oblivion.)

Stephen King(He lost me around 1990 and I never read a book by him since that time.)

What is your writer that you use to be hooked on until you suddenly said to yourself......"It is pointless and I shall never read a book by that author ever again"...

Last edited:

scorpiokc

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I have to admit I'm still an Anne Rice fan, something about the way she writes, newfound religion or no. Although nothing compares to her vampire stuff, loved it.

Stephen King I used to could not wait for his next, he lost me around the time of ... crap don't even remember the name ... something about that spaceship that landed in a town or some shit. Anyway, my point is, he lost me around that time, which is sad what with how great his earlier work.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't know about books but this title totally reminded me of Cloverfield.

HUNGHUGE11X7

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Earth/USA/GA! DEEP IN YOUR THROAT,See vid TO SEE H
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I don't know about books but this title totally reminded me of Cloverfield.

GOD that movie sucked so bad! It has be one of the worst films ever !

As for Authors losing me I too would have to say ANNE RICE . I love her work with the Sleeping Beauty Chronicles and of course the Vampire Chonicle and all of her other books until she started writing religious bent books. I tried to read the first one but it was awful compared to the brilliance of her horror literature .
I wonder what her son, who had an incredible freshman writing effort but has yet to repeat with the same brilliance thinks about her newest books .

HH

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
john irving--cider house rules

luvd:
the 158 pound marriage
setting free the bears
hotel new hampshire
water method man
WA2garp
a prayer for owen meany

and then came CHR....never read another irving novel again.

DGirl

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, I MAY read another book by her... just to see if her last book was just a dud..."
But, I came across this Black writer that had me clocking in LATE from my lunch because her writing was so damn GOOD..." Then when I read the ending.. " It fell so FLAT it was not even funny!! I was like WTF..
What did she do? Have a few moments to write the ending? I mean this women had me all through her book.. But, the ending was STUPID as HELL!!:mad:
I may get another one of her books. I won't say her name on here just yet...
I WILL give her a second chance to woo me back with another book.

Lets just say her book was called, "The color of trouble"

Last edited:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It's funny: when I read the title of this thread before opening it, I thought precisely of Queen of the Damned. All that "save the world" horseshit was too...operatic for me, and the film was horrifyingly terrible (worse even that Tom Cruise playing Lestat).

Although I vowed to put her down, I made the grave error of purchasing The Tale of the Body Thief when it came out (hardcover, first edition): that was the book that shattered my Anne Rice love-affair once and for all.

And don't get me started on those fucking dreadful witch books :rolleyes:

Though I'll still pick up a King title here and there, the part in Pet Semitary when the little boy dies had me so depressed that I had to put the book down for over a week: seriously.

Totally different subject matter, but I lost all interest in reading anything else Budd Hopkins had to say after reading Witnessed; it has to be the most unbelievable book about an unbelievable subject ever.

I'm afraid the Colditz Story (P.R. Reid) isn't that well written (as someone else has commented on another thread).
It's interesting what they got up to, but it's quite hard work to get through it, lol.

Notthe7

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh GOD... Does no one remember reading William Faulkner's The Sound and The Fury.

Brain fuck much? Every time i pick that book and SWEAR that i will finish it...
it ends up thrown in the back of my car.

Come on Faulkner, fucking show off.

A mentally ill black southern with the mentality of a three year old? You're reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy gonna do that?

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There is a special kind of badness that only very talented writers are capable of.

Case 1: Mark Helprin. The first thing of his that I read was A Soldier of the Great War. One of the most absorbing reads ever for me. I even re-read it not long afterwards, and still found it fascinating. Amazing book. Then I tried his first novel, Refiner's Fire. I gave up about a quarter of the way through; the "magical realism" element just got to be insufferable. I thought, "Well, it was an early effort." So I tried Winter's Tale. I actually read that huge sucker all the way through, but I thought it fantastically bad -- one of the tackiest pieces of shit ever written.

Case 2: John Fowles. Does anyone read his novels any more? More than twenty years ago, I read The French Lieutenant's Woman and thought, "Hmm, this is a bit annoying at times, but has some really good things in it." An acquaintance strongly recommended Daniel Martin. I started reading it. "This novel can't be this bad. It has to get better." It didn't. Another 400-page piece of shit.

Brensta

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Robert Jordan

I really enjoyed the first 4/5 books of his Wheel of Time series, and then after I found myself skipping pages at a time in the hopes of finding something interesting.

Stephen King

Being such a huge fan of his earlier work (IT is definitely one of my favourite books of all time, the depths of King's imagination and his ability to put that to paper is incredible) but he has just gone down hill since the mid 90s

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Has anyone ever actually read "The Silmarillion"? I was a huge fan of Tolkien as a teenager, but whenever I've tried to read that book, my eyes just cross and I fall sleep.

I read a lot of John le Carré in the seventies and eighties. Some of his early work was spellbinding. "The Spy Who Came In from the Cold", the Karla trilogy, "The Naive and Sentimental Lover" were gripping spy novels. But after the cold war ended, he lost it. The Constant Gardener was good, but I've given up on him. Maybe it's time to start re-reading!

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's funny: when I read the title of this thread before opening it, I thought precisely of Queen of the Damned. All that "save the world" horseshit was too...operatic for me, and the film was horrifyingly terrible (worse even that Tom Cruise playing Lestat).

Although I vowed to put her down, I made the grave error of purchasing The Tale of the Body Thief when it came out (hardcover, first edition): that was the book that shattered my Anne Rice love-affair once and for all.

And don't get me started on those fucking dreadful witch books :rolleyes:
:biggrin1: Aww, don't blame her for the films, she never had any control of those. Heck, she didn't even know about the Exit to Eden movie until it was on VHS let alone that it would be a comedy! And if you thought "Interview" with Cruise was bad, "Queen of the Damned" with Aaliya was bad to the point of humour.

Her writing has always been difficult to read as she often gets bogged down describing in rich detail the most inconsequential minutiae so that the reader falls asleep between actual plot developments. I'd always managed to get some enjoyment from her work up until religion took hold of her. I started the first but have always found something else I'd rather be reading.

I can't think of any other authors I've followed then dropped but I can say I've been dissapointed recently with Tim Dorsey. With Orange Crush his work went from madcap to m'eh.

Chriskenney81

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Dean Koontz. He recently wrote a Frankenstein trilogy...the third one just ends. Reading other books of his, the formula is the same. Plucky protagonist with some form of sidekick who takes on evil...

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
:biggrin1: Aww, don't blame her for the films, she never had any control of those. Heck, she didn't even know about the Exit to Eden movie until it was on VHS let alone that it would be a comedy! And if you thought "Interview" with Cruise was bad, "Queen of the Damned" with Aaliya was bad to the point of humour.

Her writing has always been difficult to read as she often gets bogged down describing in rich detail the most inconsequential minutiae so that the reader falls asleep between actual plot developments. I'd always managed to get some enjoyment from her work up until religion took hold of her. I started the first but have always found something else I'd rather be reading.

The only decent thing about the Queen film was Stuart Townsend's abs. In all other respects, it was as stupefyingly terrible as the terrible book.

I "discovered" Interview With The Vampire when a friend lent me her paperback copy in 1978 and bought The Vampire Lestat in hardcover when it came out. I've also read the Sleeping Beauty books and found them terrifically erotic. If you'd have asked me 25 years ago who my favorite living author was, I'd have probably said her without hesitation. So the let-down from Queen was just terrible, and the break after Body Thief was total.

Frankly, I think the only way to do any justice to the books would have been animation.