Writers that lost you at the end and you vowed never to read a book by them again..?

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've had my ups and downs with Susanna Moore... but I would not say that I would stop reading her books; I keep hoping she will surprise me again.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Sheesh. . . .
Neither is "just" a separable part of rob_just_rob.
Then you can't say that you "have three names." You can't have it both ways. My main point was that "le Carré" is John le Carré's last name; "le" is not his middle name. By contrast, "Easton" is Brett Easton Ellis's middle name. The one would be indexed as "le Carré, John," the other as "Eliis, Brett Easton." I don't care how you want to treat your LPSG alias, but you can't say that both John le Carré and Brett Easton Ellis "have three names" -- by which I take you to mean that each publishes under a name composed of three names -- because that is not true in the case of John le Carré.
and yet it's PePe Le Pew

just when u think letters have rules.......
I don't see your point. "Le" in "Le Pew," as in "le Carré," is part of the name, not a name by itself. Anyway, it's a matter of names, not of letters.

invisibleman

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
L. Ron Hubbard. In 1992, I read SCIENTOLOGY: Fundamentals of Thought (hard cover). It was a good book. So, I read DIANETICS (paperback). After reading that book. My ARC of Communication was sphincter tight...no more L. Ron Hubbard cock. :cool:

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Sheesh. . . .

I don't see your point. "Le" in "Le Pew," as in "le Carré," is part of the name, not a name by itself. Anyway, it's a matter of names, not of letters.

sheesh is right, ur way too uptight,

it was just a silly joke,

Le Pew is a cartoon skunk, not a published author

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
I've remembered a writer who once seemed special and then turned on me.

Raymond Chandler.

When I first read him (The Big Sleep, certainly considered one of his best), I thought he was just superb ... and then I put the book down for several years, picked it up again recently, and couldn't read more than a page.

Can't understand that. When I like a writer, my view of any particular text doesn't tend to shift much. But in this case, it did.

Maybe it'll shift back.

(I know this is a little different from the premise of the thread. I didn't read through several Chandler books and then hit boredom or annoyance with a new one. This is two different reactions to a particular book.)

Hmm.... I have to say Ann Rice too. I bought Queen of the Damned, read the sentence where Le Stat's mother is driving a Porsche and just lost all interest in the series. I was also tired of reading how everything was preternatural.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
(I know this is a little different from the premise of the thread. I didn't read through several Chandler books and then hit boredom or annoyance with a new one. This is two different reactions to a particular book.)
I think you've hit on something relevant with this, Rubi. Our enjoyment of what we experience is largely dependant on where we are mentally, be that maturity or mood. I recall books assigned in school that bored me to tears at the time that I read years later and quite enjoyed.

I wonder if in many cases the author's style hasn't actually changed or the quality of their writing declined but that those of us reading were for one reason or another just no longer receptive to it.

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That seemed to be Anne Rice's favorite word, preternatural.....it's fine to use it, but when you use it constantly.....it becomes an headache inducing coma. It's like saying to the writer, "Shut up! Shut up! Preternatural this. Preternatural that. Use another vocabulary."

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That seemed to be Anne Rice's favorite word, preternatural.....it's fine to use it, but when you use it constantly.....it becomes an headache inducing coma. It's like saying to the writer, "Shut up! Shut up! Preternatural this. Preternatural that. Use another vocabulary."
Evelyn Waugh reports that one of his schoolfellows was known as "Preters" because once, when asked if he was interested in politics, he replied "Preternaturally so."

DaveyR

Retired Moderator
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I found Scottish writer Iain Banks particularly difficult to get into at first but with some persistence the rewards were great. In particular "The Wasp Factory" and "The Bridge" were excellent reads.

He also writes Science Fiction under the name Iain M Banks but Science Fiction doesn't float my boat.

I know this thread is about writers who lost you at the end but sometimes they can lose you at the beginning and you give up.

elegant20

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Anybody remembers The Vampire Lestat, the musical from Broadway? That was a disaster from start to finish. Not even Elton John's writing buddy, Bernie Taupin, could have saved that travesty itself. Singing vampires? Arrrrrrrrrgh! This is the reason why Broadway should not meddle with vampires as musicals because they would become laughable at the end. And they don't last at all.

D_Smidley Smelliepits

Account Disabled
Media
Has anyone ever actually read "The Silmarillion"? I was a huge fan of Tolkien as a teenager, but whenever I've tried to read that book, my eyes just cross and I fall sleep.

I had the same problem (or luck, who knows!), could never finish it.

Also Stephen King...

And a writer whose books I've tried to read many times but could never finish is Orhan Pamuk...