Writing a new web app.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
It's going to be a regular message board, like this one, but it will be self moderating.

I've been working on the idea for months, and have spent part of the last few days designing the tables and other data elements. I am very excited about it, but it looks like it's still going to take another six months or so to get it coded, hosted, debugged, and ready for the fun to start. Why am I mentioning it? Because I want to share the cool.

Reactions: deleted631864

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Will it be of a sexual nature?
It will be of a tabula rasa nature -the owner will be able to set it up for whatever forums he wants, and the membership will be able to create new forums as the need arises and let them die as the need declines. For example, if a Politics forum arises during an election cycle and afterward is used by a small percentage of the population, it will atrophy into the archive on its own.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It will be of a tabula rasa nature -the owner will be able to set it up for whatever forums he wants, and the membership will be able to create new forums as the need arises and let them die as the need declines. For example, if a Politics forum arises during an election cycle and afterward is used by a small percentage of the population, it will atrophy into the archive on its own.
Ah, I see. Sounds very progressive. I can imagine arguments starting over the 'removal' of forums but I suppose that comes with the territory.

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
Ah, I see. Sounds very progressive. I can imagine arguments starting over the 'removal' of forums but I suppose that comes with the territory.
Well, if there are enough people using the forum it will never remove itself. The idea is that the board should reflect what the membership wants. It'll be very democratic, and will do things like automatically sending forum participants an email saying, "Dear ______, The _______ Forum, in which you have participated in the past, will go extinct in ___ days due to under-participation. If you want to keep the forum alive, you may want to consider posting to it and encourage others to do so. "

I plan to make the extinct fora invisible, and not actually delete them, and they can be resurrected with minimum strain.

HappyBoi

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have now within minutes taken your idea and turned it to mine. It's now copyrighted. You can stop with your project.

No, but you'll be able to ban anybody except the admin, as long as you can get a sizable percentage of the membership to agree with you. That includes moderators, if the admin sees fit.
Good idea - that's how it works with online racing games - if someone pisses everyone off, and 50% vote for them to be kicked (or banned, I guess), then it happens.

Opalite

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm liking the sound of that.. I'm in, if you make sure there are plenty of penisses and dickheads to amuse us simple folk.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Well, if there are enough people using the forum it will never remove itself. The idea is that the board should reflect what the membership wants. It'll be very democratic, and will do things like automatically sending forum participants an email saying, "Dear ______, The _______ Forum, in which you have participated in the past, will go extinct in ___ days due to under-participation. If you want to keep the forum alive, you may want to consider posting to it and encourage others to do so. "

I plan to make the extinct fora invisible, and not actually delete them, and they can be resurrected with minimum strain.
That's a really clever idea! I knew HickBoy had a big brain, really. :tongue: I can't actually think of any pitfalls in your plan. If only governments were ran in a similar manner. (HickBoy for President!)

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
That's a really clever idea! I knew HickBoy had a big brain, really. :tongue: I can't actually think of any pitfalls in your plan. If only governments were run in a similar manner. (HickBoy for President!)
Ah, there's more.

It would be nice if governments could be more democratic, but I can't think of one that could stand the shock of suddenly becoming a full democracy.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ah, there's more.

It would be nice if governments could be more democratic, but I can't think of one that could stand the shock of suddenly becoming a full democracy.
HickBoyland would stand up to the shock. I take your point though. There's more? Goodness, you'll be beating Google at this rate! :tongue:

B_Hickboy

Sexy Member
Media
HickBoyland would stand up to the shock. I take your point though. There's more? Goodness, you'll be beating Google at this rate! :tongue:

There's a fantasy that macro change can take place faster than it actually can, and a lot of it is wrapped up in electorates' corporate denial of the influence of unintended consequences. People ask, "What can go wrong?" as if they can taunt reality and its underlying complexity into submission.

In a mini-microcosm like this one, it's possible to turn on a dime, but the effects of rapid change even in an environment as restricted as a message board can be catastrophic to the ongoing health of the entity affected.