WTF is going on here?

B_Trevor3

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
So... LPD, ChicagoSam, Onslow, and Snoozan... four highly respected members of OUR community have left... because of the shit that this site has turned into. I've been thinking about leaving for a month or so now. This place sucks, to be quite honest. All people do is argue over stupid bullshit. I used to come to LPSG because it made me feel good... now I come here because it's part of "going through the motions" and as soon as I logon, I wonder why the fuck I even bothered. Just more posts of people thrashing each other.

It seems like the same individuals who are so filled with hate, and who lash out. Repeat offenders should be warned, and if they continue, they should be banned. I've left several times because of hateful remarks, but I always seem to return. I guess I'm just a lost and hopeless pervert.

Trevor

JMeister

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Seems like people might be happier if they made greater use of the ignore list. It hides the posts of the names you put on the list.

I love it.

Yorkie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
But it appears that there is little desire for anyone new to join in. People have chosen their buddies and, like high school, have banded together.
I can understand why you have that impression but the vast majority here do welcome new members with something to say.It just takes some people more time than others to decide you're genuinely here to contribute.
Personally I'm sure I'm not a part of any clique and I'll respond to anyone's post if I've anything to say about it.I stay out of threads that get too vitriolic.Argument is fine but personal abuse is something else and it just makes everyone involved look bad.I have never liked the closed gang mentality whether it's on the internet or anywhere else.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The end result is that this kind of "gang" behavior discourages the introduction of new ideas and the posting of subject matter and material that may be of a controversial nature (or at least controversial in the context of what may be perceived as unacceptable to the "gang").
Have you something specific in mind?

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Nope. Out of the question.
You shouldn't chance pushing us into a corner and making us choose. :tongue:

In other news...
This whole thing about new people not standing a chance, and not being welcomed is a bit much. A while back, YAG was the hit of the board his first week. Way back, Jeff Black was the same. More recently No_Strings has been a hit since he joined, as has burns1de. I'm sure I could think of more if I put any effort into it, but that should be enough to make the point anyway. "New" has nothing to do with your acceptance here, except for when someone storms in and starts either acting like they own the place, or say something obnoxious within their first 5 posts. If you join and you're a decent person, it'll be obvious quickly, and your acceptance will be just as quick. If you walk in deserving scorn, your "newness" will just magnify it.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There is a very strong clique on this board, and unfortunately there is not much room for new blood unless you fall into a certain formula.
Not really so.

The "clique" is not as monolithic as it may at first seem. It's laced with fractures, some temporary, others definitely permanent. But some members are so desperate to "join" that they start sucking up to whoever's in sight before the pixels on their applications are even dry, filling thread after thread with tedious drivel. There's rather a lot of that in this particular thread.

The problem with "new blood" is that there are no real qualifications for membership. Just about anybody passing by can join, and some of them are real dillies. We get twits who think that anyone could possibly be interested in yet another "am I big?" post. We get genuine stalkers. We get barking moonbats. We get trolls. We get rank homophobes. We even get flaming heterophobes. We get a lot who never say much. And we get a few who have something interesting to say, or have a thoughtful question to ask. It takes a while to sort all these out.

No_Strings

Expert Member
Media
The "clique" is not as monolithic as it may at first seem. It's laced with fractures, some temporary, others definitely permanent. But some members are so desperate to "join" that they start sucking up to whoever's in sight before the pixels on their applications are even dry, filling thread after thread with tedious drivel. There's rather a lot of that in this particular thread.

Duly noted - I apologise.

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
By whose definition is a post considered to be of merit or just "tedious drivel"
If it's my post, it's by my definition, of course. It's then up to individual readers to decide for themselves whether I have a point or not. Some think I do, some think I don't. Hence some of the fractures in the "clique".

However, I didn't have any posts by N_S in mind for the Drivel of the Day award.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Yeah, I noticed Novice. I always enjoy reading your posts- dont stay away too long between visits, eh?:frown2:
Sorry that I just noticed this. You're really MUCH too kind, and definitely one of the few. I mean, if you take a look at my recent post history, even when I directly address people, they gloss over the posts. More typically though, I'll actually put a few minutes into writing a post, and it either kills the thread, or suddenly a string of unrelated flirtations follow it.

Of course Lex and Matthew were right about the whole "post more of what you want to see", and in another example of "glossing", I actually wrote something about that myself, over a month ago. It just gets exhausting to feel like you're in an uphill battle, when you come here for fun, friends, and some good info along the way, and instead find what's been popping up here lately.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
If it's my post, it's by my definition, of course. It's then up to individual readers to decide for themselves whether I have a point or not. Some think I do, some think I don't. Hence some of the fractures in the "clique".

However, I didn't have any posts by N_S in mind for the Drivel of the Day award.

You're absolitely right. But you see, by happenstance, how that's a perfect example of what I was speaking of (when you asked, "have you something specific in mind")

wldhoney

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
"New" has nothing to do with your acceptance here, except for when someone storms in and starts either acting like they own the place, or say something obnoxious within their first 5 posts. If you join and you're a decent person, it'll be obvious quickly, and your acceptance will be just as quick. If you walk in deserving scorn, your "newness" will just magnify it.

I don't think it's a matter of being scorned. I've been lucky enough to have received a number of compliments in threads and pm's about my posts, which I really appreciate, and have already chatted with some great people. And I myself already have some members whose posts I love to read, whether I agree with them or not. ManlyBanisters, Kotchinski, DC Deep, Burns1de, whatireallywant, Jeff Black, No Strings, dolfette, diamond. I appreciate their viewpoints and love the wit. But it is a definite clique that allows for little newness, which may possibly explain the bickering.

I read the forums more than I post, and I see where often those who are new do contribute but are passed over while discussion continues on within the clique, therefore negating the new person's post, which does not allow for acceptance.

The interesting thing is that I can see where this has occurred in my other two forums with my involvement, and can now correct my behavior. However, I will say that I have never "scorned" anyone coming onto the board or into a thread, new or otherwise. Longevity does not equal wisdom, as I am sure a new person reading my old posts elsewhere could and would conclude.

Regardless, that there would be a desire to scorn someone for being new speaks for itself.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think that the net isn't quite as cliquey as people think, quite often people don't want to get too friendly with a newbie because so many newbies are here for a day or two then disappear never to be seen again. I go out of my way to chat to newbies in the chat room because I know how difficult it can be to make your voice heard when you're new on a site.

Matthew

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Like lots of places, new people constantly come here, some don't stay long, some find a place they like and do stay, and some even change the culture here by bringing things that we learn to value, enjoy or appreciate.

Every one of us started as a "newbie." A few have caught the board's attention immediately. Others did not at first, but stayed and continued to contribute and enjoy themselves, and the board came to appreciate over time what they brought.

Any member can still do this. There is always room for a poster who is funny, or bright, or witty, or compassionate, or sexy, etc., etc. But with the volume of people who come through here, it is only fair to expect it to take some time for people to recognize you, get used to your posting style, sense of humor, etc. People do become recognized here by contributing consistently - happens all the time - and I think that is a great way for it to be.

And I will close by agreeing with Big Dirigible - anyone who sees "a" clique here is seeing an illusion. There are multiple, overlapping groups of people who are friendly with one another, there are also sharp divisions along various worldview lines that cut all different ways (and in fact prohibit there from being one or even two cliques), there is a chaotic network with unlimited ways to connect with a variety of people on all sorts of different levels. And the best thing? You don't have to give two shits about any of that to still enjoy yourself here.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sometimes people need a break. The members mentioned were very nice. Knowing the habits of some of the members mentioned they do take breaks for periods of time,eg Snoozan and LP. They will be back:wink: ''And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make'':smile: