WTF - UK Wage Issue

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is definitely my last month in this shithole. However, my wage slip/accountant thing has arrived. Apparently my wage for January is 757.29. Which is what it was in December. I turned 22 on 2nd January so shouldn't I be on 5.52 p/h? Or is that only if you're 23 or older?

I think I should be on 5.52. Anyone have any advice? Should I ring the accountant tomorrow or is everything in order? To make matters worse I get paid by cheque which takes days to clear...ahhhh.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
This is definitely my last month in this shithole. However, my wage slip/accountant thing has arrived. Apparently my wage for January is 757.29. Which is what it was in December. I turned 22 on 2nd January so shouldn't I be on 5.52 p/h? Or is that only if you're 23 or older?

I think I should be on 5.52. Anyone have any advice? Should I ring the accountant tomorrow or is everything in order? To make matters worse I get paid by cheque which takes days to clear...ahhhh.

UK Minimum wage for those 22 and over is £5.52 per hour. It's possibly just an oversight. I remember you had hassles last month? They seem a bit dim don't they!

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah. I spose I'll talk it out with the bossman when he gets back. If he is stubborn and as usual wanting to pay me as little as possible, I'll ring his accountant tomorrow and let them know.

Will they be able to recalculate it and sort it that day? Because its nearly, if not more, than 6 weeks since I was last paid. Or will be once the cheque clears etc.

This was going to be my last month anyway. I was hoping it would be hassle free but now I have to sort out my own wage! I did check the website so at least I have that to show him and I did recalculate it and it came out as ~956 which is about right...at least not as wrong as the other calculation anyway :smile:

This is so annoying!

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah. I spose I'll talk it out with the bossman when he gets back. If he is stubborn and as usual wanting to pay me as little as possible, I'll ring his accountant tomorrow and let them know.

Will they be able to recalculate it and sort it that day? Because its nearly, if not more, than 6 weeks since I was last paid. Or will be once the cheque clears etc.

This was going to be my last month anyway. I was hoping it would be hassle free but now I have to sort out my own wage! I did check the website so at least I have that to show him and I did recalculate it and it came out as ~956 which is about right...at least not as wrong as the other calculation anyway :smile:

This is so annoying!

I can't tell you what your employer can or can't or will or won't do! It's not 6 weeks since you turned 22 and that's the main issue, isn't it?

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah I know. Its sort of casual work. I've emailed his accountant just now telling him he's miscalculated. Its funny, his accountant apparently established his business in 1983 so you'd think he'd know what he's doing.

Anyway its a bit annoying and I was hoping to get the full amount recalculated and banked asap. But apparently it will be credited to my wage NEXT MONTH? That's what the boss says and I don't want to stay here another month :redface:

I shouldn't have to wait a month for my wage because of an accountant's mistake?

ruperty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
i had a similar prob when i turned 22. businesses will do everything they can to avoid paying higher wages; even if it means 'forgetting' to increase the minimum wage. as long as they DO reimburse you for the full amount, i think it's ok. make sure they do it though, the crafty swines!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This is definitely my last month in this shithole. However, my wage slip/accountant thing has arrived. Apparently my wage for January is 757.29. Which is what it was in December. I turned 22 on 2nd January so shouldn't I be on 5.52 p/h? Or is that only if you're 23 or older?The minimum wage in the UK is based on age? What a bizarre concept.:confused::eek:
Why days? In the US a payroll check can be cashed immediately as it is assumed your employer is not a bankrupt scoundrel.

Will they be able to recalculate it and sort it that day? No, I have had a few payroll problems in the past. The correction is always made in the next pay period. Because its nearly, if not more, than 6 weeks since I was last paid. Or will be once the cheque clears etc. I remember you mentioning that. That's total bullshit!
This was going to be my last month anyway. I was hoping it would be hassle free but now I have to sort out my own wage! I did check the website so at least I have that to show him and I did recalculate it and it came out as ~956 which is about right...at least not as wrong as the other calculation anyway :smile: This is so annoying!

Yeah I turned 22 on the second day of January. We shall see. Tonight will be a long night!
:party: :birthday: Happy 22nd Birthday! :birthday::party:
:boobies2::beerchug2::boobies2::beerchug2::boobies2::beerchug2::boobies2::beerchug2::boobies2::beerchug2::boobies2:
Every young man should have beer and boobies for his birthday. Hope your day was boobiful. :tongue::smile:

Yeah I know. Its sort of casual work. I've emailed his accountant just now telling him he's miscalculated. Its funny, his accountant apparently established his business in 1983 so you'd think he'd know what he's doing.

Anyway its a bit annoying and I was hoping to get the full amount recalculated and banked asap. But apparently it will be credited to my wage NEXT MONTH? That's what the boss says and I don't want to stay here another month :redface: You shouldn't have to. :confused: It is not uncommon for a final paycheck to be mailed. :cool:

I shouldn't have to wait a month for my wage because of an accountant's mistake?
No you shouldn't; but don't be surprised if he doesn't want to admit his mistake. I would be curious as to why it has taken 6 weeks to be paid though.:confused: Is there some agency you can report that to?

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
There's also the bizarre concept of jobseeker's allowance NJ, so you could be 16 live in your own flat and receive less than someone of 25 still living with their parents.

• Person aged 16-17: £35.65
  • Person aged 18-24: £46.85
  • Person aged 25 or over: £59.15

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why days? In the US a payroll check can be cashed immediately as it is assumed your employer is not a bankrupt scoundrel.

There are different banking systems here. In some ways they are more sophisticated (better integration for example) than US banks, in others incredibly backward, this being a notable example. There isn't really such a thing as a 'payroll' cheque here, the nearest would be a PO/Giro/Bankers Draft but they all cause problems of their own and only the Giro would really be a suitable method for salary payment.

Some banks will cash a cheque against uncleared funds, some won't it depends on the account and your relationship with your bank. If paid by Giro you can cash it at a Post Office otherwise it takes 3 working days for the cheque to clear, possibly more depending on where it's paid it into. The only real exception (other than paying for express clearing) is if the cheque is drawn on the same branch of the same bank the payee is paying into, then it clears the same day (usually).

Many employers pay by BACS and just give the employee a slip. Wage payment by cheque is a real drag and I'm surprised anything other than a very small outfit would do this, not least because of the cost.

No you shouldn't; but don't be surprised if he doesn't want to admit his mistake. I would be curious as to why it has taken 6 weeks to be paid though.:confused: Is there some agency you can report that to?

Yes, though it's not unreasonable to have to wait one wage cycle (depending on the amount of the error) but I agree, I suspect these guys will mess him around. He can report the delay but only to a tribunal which is a bit premature as he's still an employee!

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There's also the bizarre concept of jobseeker's allowance NJ, so you could be 16 live in your own flat and receive less than someone of 25 still living with their parents.

Yes, but the 16 y.o. in the flat may be entitled to housing allowance and other benefits that the 25 y.o living at home isn't. JSA is only part of the picture.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
But the housing benefit doesn't go in his pocket does it? If someone's on the dole and living with parents their parents often don't take any money for board off them, if they do take some it tends to be very little, and what they get for that is use of all the household facilities, meals, etc., if something breaks down they don't have to find the money to replace it, the young person living on their own has to pay bills, buy food, furniture etc out of the actual amount of money they get.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What us a job seekers allowance? Is that paid weekly or monthly and who gets it? :confused:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But the housing benefit doesn't go in his pocket does it? If someone's on the dole and living with parents their parents often don't take any money for board off them, if they do take some it tends to be very little, and what they get for that is use of all the household facilities, meals, etc., if something breaks down they don't have to find the money to replace it, the young person living on their own has to pay bills, buy food, furniture etc out of the actual amount of money they get.

If the 16 y.o. gets his rent paid and the rent is more than what the 25 y.o. pays his folks plus the difference between their respective JSAs (very likely) then he's ahead in that one aspect.

There are benefits for council tax (though at 16 he wont pay anyway but at 18 would get 25% off assuming he lives alone) - whereas the 25 y.o. pays (if not exempted for other raesons) 100% - that alone can be £100 per month. There are grants for emergency furniture and domestic appliances and so on. It's not so cut and dried.

Of course those figures are predicated on the assumption that it's more likely a 25 y.o. will not be living at home whereas a 16 y.o. will. That's a reasonable assumption in the majority of cases.

I didn't say it was an equitable situation, it isn't. Merely that you omitted salient facts when it comes to establishing differences in (effective) income. I agree, the 16 y.o. will almost certainly be worse off, but not always and not necessarily to the degree you implied. :biggrin1:

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Job Seeker's is for the unemployed. They are supposed to be looking for work while on it and it is meant to get them by during the interim. Many however never look for work and just 'dole doss'.

My bank tells me seven days for a cheque to clear but its always in after three days. Why don't they just tell me three days? :rolleyes:

I'm hoping to be walking to the bank with a cheque soon. Anything is better than nothing at all :smile:

Still waiting for the accountant to get back to me.

ruperty

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What us a job seekers allowance? Is that paid weekly or monthly and who gets it? :confused:

these are apparently the kind of people who are on jobseekers allowance (aka the dole). if you haven't got a job, then you can get free cash from the government! i've been unemployed for a few weeks now, but haven't claimed it. i can't bring myself to walk into an office and say "i want jobseekers allowance".

YouTube - League Of Gentlemen

it's the league of gentlemen in case you didn't already know ;)

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
these are apparently the kind of people who are on jobseekers allowance (aka the dole). if you haven't got a job, then you can get free cash from the government! i've been unemployed for a few weeks now, but haven't claimed it. i can't bring myself to walk into an office and say "i want jobseekers allowance".

There are 'strings' attached, not significant ones though. It's only free if you've never worked, otherwise you probably have paid for it through NIC!

seahorses

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Working for a company where your wages are paid straight into your bank account using the BACS payment system, the money, in theory, is available immediately. Being paid by cheque is different; your cheque, when paid in, will take as long to clear as any other cheque. Jobseaker’s allowance, is paid by Giro cheque, which although treated by your bank as any other cheque, if paid in as a cheque to your account, can otherwise be cashed instantly at a post office.

Jobseaker’s allowance might be organised through the government, but it’s the taxpayers who provide it. So those who sit on their fat arses all day drawing it and with no intention of getting a job, or worse, have a job (casual or other wise) and still draw it, are robbing you and me.

If you have a casual job you’re entitled to be paid at the end of each shift, however you may have an arrangement with your employer to be paid at the end of the week, or even a week in arrears; that’s up to you. Having been involved in all manner and types of payment for services rendered during my life I wouldn’t settle for being paid anything less than weekly for a casual or part time job. Even less would I inform a boss I intended leaving his employ with such a large amount of unpaid wages hanging in the balance; it’s an open invitation to be ripped of. I’m not saying that’s going to happen, but you only need it happen once to appreciate what I’m saying.