Xanax

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
ZOS23xy
Spike Milligan and a few dozen other nice talented gentlemen and ladies were given the opportunity to be free of the darkness that caused them pain and misery and death....

aaaaahh YES' Spike Milligan was one of my most favoured persons ever
but i was just thinking...perhaps ..and its only a perhaps...he may well have lost some of his Natural Zaniness? if he were on xanax type meds..for too long .. that is..ha
enz
(when living on the Central Coast of Aussie..i went a few times just to be within the presence of his abode.)

ColonialBoy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why not embrace your neurosis/melancholia as something that can lead to an enhancement of your life, rather than trying to blunt it with drugs or religion? Feeling neurotic gives you a clue that your life is out of balance; it is a catalyst for self-discovery.
I should just "pull myself out of depression". On my 8 years on antidepressants I've never thought of that.

I score high on the neurosis scale. Its getting better. But there are some people with ongoing external problems that wont go away. There is no simple solution.

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
Xcuse my jumping oin here but I was diagnosed with GAD about a month ago when, as I was walking home from the gym, I had a panic attack that kept me literally in hell for 2 months before I finally sought help. D.O. doc put me Buspar because it seemed more mild and less addicting from what I read. Went from 5 to 7 .5 to 15 twice aday and then had to avoid the knife drawer in the kitchen so I've been on generic Xanax XR (24 hr. Extended release) 1MG at bedtime for about 1 month. Basically, can't remember sleeping this good for a long, long time.

Got my self a gay CBT therapist who says I have been riding the wave of anxiety my entire life. I have, however, managed it very well. Good eating, exercise, learned years ago to take care of myself, quit smoking, drinking 20 + years ago.

Problem is panic attack after doing what I am suppose to do, working out! So now I have to exercise through the anxiety. It is getting easier but the fear is always there. I also got Vertigo, and even Trimengal nerve left facial numbness from my attack. Pysical Therapist said Could have been triggered when I had my mandibular Tori (bones in the bottom of my mouth) removed or from Cervical nerve pinch

My D.O. Doc will no longer Rx me so I have to see an expensive Nurse Practictioner Monday. I talked to my therapist today who said I need to be straight forward with her on what I want. That is, not only to be anxiety free but to be so in such a way that I can relate better to people than to data (I'm a system's analyst - that alone makes me worry about the furture!) and I want to change careers in order to help people more directly (and meet a HOT COWBOY!) :biggrin1:

I am very fearful of AD's even though my best friend has been on Ativan and Paxil for as long as they have been around due to he has been HIV+ for 25 years and with his other meds he cannot function without the AD and Ativan and he has no complaints. I also have another friend who advised me to not fear getting hooked on XANAX as it is an extremely low dose and will most likely be very short term (although I still fear the withdrawal symptoms). He has been on an off the regular Xanax for 15 years without a problem although sometimes I think he is more anxious than me!

CBT told me today about 4 more sessions I will be okay. He siad next week to not take my morning 0.5 Xanax (I take 1 MG when I go to bed and sleep like a baby, although it takes a few hours for me to feel comfortable enough to drive and I am fine). The 0.5 my Do_O. doc said to take in the morning but I actually take it about 12 hours after the 1 MG that wears off form 10-16 hours. Hell, sometimes, I don't feel it at all if I am really stressed and simply sleep from exhaustion trying to do my relaxation exercises, breathing, muscle, visualizing, etc.).

I am going to make sure the Nurse Practictioner and my CBT as well as myself asr on the same page and I told him today that in no way will I accept, especially for what she charges!) anthing that will make a zombie out of me, not allow me to drive or do my job, turn me into a no-personality idiot (I have enough problem with that now!), and absolutely will not allow anything into my body that causes a limp dick!

I get up early in the morning, stretch, exercise, fix my lunch while having dinner, drive to work, sometimes up to 10 hours per day, talk to friends, family and co-workers, walk up to strangers and introduce myself, keep the outside of my home as well as the inside, about as good as a single man can do who works full time (tha God I got a job JUST ABOUT THE TIME I HAD THE ATTACK, BTW) so, I am not depressed just anxious. Alright, maybe a tiny bit of agoraphobia or even OCD but not to the point of checking, etc.

If I have to take Xanax to just get the racing ILLOGICAL thoughts to stop so I can think again and if I just want to sit and listen to nothing, then that I what I want!

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
When I was a young man I had a wise (although a bit too "flow and glow") physician who diagnosed what I assumed was unresolved anger issues. It wasn't. Just anxiety, which can be a major problem if left untreated. Instead of meds he directed me to a local transcendental meditation center, one that wasn't focused on "a higher power." These guys were more into fine-tuning their physical world with practiced meditation. No one even said the word Yoga. Damn if it didn't work. But it took me a couple of months to control my breathing, learning to recognize the white noise state in my head (a bitch to do for those who suffer tinitis), and basically calm down. Learned to control my blood pressure, stop cuts from bleeding, and block pain. It was all good. But . . . .

As a long-time believer in Better Living Through Chemistry (for those of you who remember the hokey science indoctrination museum at Disneyland) I also discovered LSD. Fortunately, I'd learned to meditate before discovering Acid. In the right dose (miniscule) it was obvious that a short mild "trip" left me happy, buoyant, and anxiety-free for three or four months at a time. Unfortunately, it's hard to get good Acid these days.

I still meditate, but now -- just for the special occasions when I haven't the patience or time to oooohm out, I've discovered an old-fashion 10mg Valium works wonders. But we're all different. For me a Valium just quickly imbues me with a calm sense of aplomb. The Squeeze (who is a monster-sized muscle bear and weighs over 100 kilos) tried one and immediately went to sleep.

Xanax, regardless of dosage, doesn't seem to do anything that I can tell. But that's me. Good old Valium is always somewhere handy in my life, not unlike those hammers hung next to fire alarms and fire extinguishers so you can quickly break the glass.

Still, meditation is my preferred method of chilling away the willies, but it takes about 30 minutes of seclusion, whereas 10mgs of Valium takes 5 minutes.

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
15shooter, about 75-85% of what you wrote, along with MLB's tinitis, and "security blanket/fire extinguisher" mentions, sound painfully familiar. I got to a point where I didn't take anything at all for a few years, but much later, out of nowhere, I developed insomnia. It was mildly annoying, here and there. Then, it was more and more "here", than "there". It got to a point where 20-40 minutes per night were average. When it got to where I had only slept for 10-15 minutes, two nights in a row, and couldn't swallow or breathe without choking (or at least thinking I would, or was), I finally saw a doctor. To sleep, I take Klonopin, at a very low dose, and Xanax, "as needed", which is about once a month, or two. I thought I was just, well, "crazy", but after a heart-to-heart, after I broke into a panic attack in front one of father, I was told, "Oh, I've had that for years. Let's get you out of this situation (a completely stress-free one, by the way)." About 2.5 minutes later, I was entirely fine. The point is, as MLB said, while our individual cases are all different, we're definitely not alone.

Rikter8

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Holy old thread revival.

Xanax is probably the only thing that has saved me to this point.

It is easy to get addicted to it though. Use with caution. I try to do without it, but when the anxiety gets so bad, I must take one..

People without social anxiety really have no idea how crippling it is.

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
Prior to my PA, despite the fact that I would fall asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow, I was waking up every 2 hours and don't know how long it was taking me to get back to sleep. As far as tinitis, I swear that I could hear the motors on the electric boxes (underground wiring) almost a block away!

Yes, we are all different. I will report back what the Nurse Practictioner says Monday but I am SOooooooooooo afraid of sides from anything. On my "Automatic Thought Record" from my CBT, a sort of self-analysis that is suppose to be 90 something % effective for Generalized Anxiety Disorder, I almost always "castastrophize" vistually every thought I have or anthing someone says to me. It is a thought habit formed from when I was really little and diagnosed with some ordinary-every-day heart symptom these days but back then it freaked out my parents and they became extremely over-protective. Just to keep the humor up, it also bother my mom that I "crusted-over" several pair of underwear each night! :biggrin1: I was so fucking horny in puberty that I ALWAYS had to follow a wet dream with another JO!
:biggrin1:

I am a systems analyst so my job is to critically think, look for possible trouble down the road, so to speak. Looks like another job may be in order if I am to truly whip this puppy. But I just got this one after 18 months of unemployment!

15shooter, about 75-85% of what you wrote, along with MLB's tinitis, and "security blanket/fire extinguisher" mentions, sound painfully familiar. I got to a point where I didn't take anything at all for a few years, but much later, out of nowhere, I developed insomnia. It was mildly annoying, here and there. Then, it was more and more "here", than "there". It got to a point where 20-40 minutes per night were average. When it got to where I had only slept for 10-15 minutes, two nights in a row, and couldn't swallow or breathe without choking (or at least thinking I would, or was), I finally saw a doctor. To sleep, I take Klonopin, at a very low dose, and Xanax, "as needed", which is about once a month, or two. I thought I was just, well, "crazy", but after a heart-to-heart, after I broke into a panic attack in front one of father, I was told, "Oh, I've had that for years. Let's get you out of this situation (a completely stress-free one, by the way)." About 2.5 minutes later, I was entirely fine. The point is, as MLB said, while our individual cases are all different, we're definitely not alone.

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
Shit, sorry about that! I saw the month, not the year when I searched!
I am on the XR version and I have it timed to a tee as to when it starts to wear off.

Oh, please feel free to post newer threads' links. :smile:

Holy old thread revival.

Xanax is probably the only thing that has saved me to this point.

It is easy to get addicted to it though. Use with caution. I try to do without it, but when the anxiety gets so bad, I must take one..

People without social anxiety really have no idea how crippling it is.

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Xanax, regardless of dosage, doesn't seem to do anything that I can tell. But that's me. Good old Valium is always somewhere handy in my life, not unlike those hammers hung next to fire alarms and fire extinguishers so you can quickly break the glass.
Same here on both counts.

D_Chaumbrelayne_Copprehead

Account Disabled
Media
There are a lot of us out there in society who have a long-term problem with anxiety. Effexor really helps with mine. There are a bunch of different drugs now that can help with both anxiety and depression in different ways. You don't have to tranq yourself out with stuff like Xanax.

Not every GP knows psychiatric meds. If you have health coverage, find a psychiatrist on your plan. Or a psychiatric nurse practitioner.