Xbox to release Guantanamo Bay video game

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_starinvestor, Jun 1, 2009.

1. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

2. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Hope there's an Easter Egg that includes a waterboarding level.

Or a Wii edition that allows you to replicate a flogging motion with those silly controllers.

3. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    "This game will not demean the reality of Guantanamo but will help to bring those issues to people who would not usually think about it."

Oh, fine. I love a good example of social responsibility.

"We approached Moazzam because it's very hard for us to know how to design the layout of the prison and he helped.

I'm sure historical accuracy was very important to the production team.

"But no US or British soldiers get killed in it. The only ones being killed are mercenaries."

Only "mercenaries". Then it's a-ok with me then. :rolleyes:

4. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

If you complete the final level of the game, you get a personalized card from Dick Cheney. LOL.

5. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

This game has epic fail written all over it.
    It reminds me of the game company who thought it was a brilliant idea to create a shooter that re-enacted the JFK assassination. Video Game Recreates JFK Killing - CBS News

6. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

I thought Dick Cheney might be featured in the game - waterboarding detainees.

As Dick Cheney is viewed shredding the Geneva Convention with scissors, a CIA agent can strip, hood and assault a detainee with a broomstick.

Ali Soufan, the FBI interrogator, actually got the most credible actionable intel from a detainee - Osama bin Laden's bodyguard - by giving the guy sugar-free cookies and talking to him (the guy was a diabetic).

From the latest Time Magazine:

The most successful interrogation of an Al-Qaeda operative by U.S. officials required no sleep deprivation, no slapping or "walling" and no waterboarding. All it took to soften up Abu Jandal, who had been closer to Osama bin Laden than any other terrorist ever captured, was a handful of sugar-free cookies.

Abu Jandal had been in a Yemeni prison for nearly a year when Ali Soufan of the FBI and Robert McFadden of the Naval Criminal Investigative Service arrived to interrogate him in the week after 9/11. Although there was already evidence that al-Qaeda was behind the attacks, American authorities needed conclusive proof, not least to satisfy skeptics like Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf, whose support was essential for any action against the terrorist organization. U.S. intelligence agencies also needed a better understanding of al-Qaeda's structure and leadership. Abu Jandal was the perfect source: the Yemeni who grew up in Saudi Arabia had been bin Laden's chief bodyguard, trusted not only to protect him but also to put a bullet in his head rather than let him be captured.

Abu Jandal's guards were so intimidated by him, they wore masks to hide their identities and begged visitors not to refer to them by name in his presence. He had no intention of cooperating with the Americans; at their first meetings, he refused even to look at them and ranted about the evils of the West. Far from confirming al-Qaeda's involvement in 9/11, he insisted the attacks had been orchestrated by Israel's Mossad. While Abu Jandal was venting his spleen, Soufan noticed that he didn't touch any of the cookies that had been served with tea: "He was a diabetic and couldn't eat anything with sugar in it." At their next meeting, the Americans brought him some sugar-free cookies, a gesture that took the edge off Abu Jandal's angry demeanor. "We had showed him respect, and we had done this nice thing for him," Soufan recalls. "So he started talking to us instead of giving us lectures."

After Waterboarding: How to Make Terrorists Talk? - TIME

7. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

P.S. The morale of the above story is: Interrogating (talking with) detainees is much different, and more effective, when gleaning intel - than applying torture (or "enhanced interrogation techniques"). Torture is used to elicit confessions (like when you want the detainee to give you a confirmation that Saddam Hussein was connected to al-Qaeda; don't worry if no actual connection exists; the torture will take care of this). So, "enhanced interrogation techniques" are not, in fact, "interrogations" at all. They are severe strong-arming tactics to get a detainee to cough up confessions.

Cheney and the Bush Justice Department desperately needed confessions in summer and fall of 2002 that Hussein was hooked up with al-Qaeda, that Hussein indeed had WMD. They were, after all, planning a pre-emptive invasion for early the next year.

8. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Congratulating me on my non federally-sanctioned gay nuptials, no doubt.

9. DiscoBoy

Gold Member

"My first response was hesitation - I was worried that it might trivialise my experience. I'm involved to make sure it is as true to life as possible."

"In the game, players control a detainee at the camp, which has been sold by the US Government to a shadowy agency called Freedom Corp.
    Before he is subjected to torture and scientific experiments, the character must shoot his way out of the detention camp to bring down his captors."

Glad to see that your true life experience of shooting your way out of a detention camp hasn't been trivialised in any way :smile:.

10. faceking

faceking Well-Known Member

Albums:
    Collect 5 Korans, and earn a Toilet Flush credit...

Draft saved Draft deleted