XM radio VS. Ipod

B_Marius567

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
why pay .99 for a song for your IPOD when for only 12.95 a month for XM radio you can listien all the songs, news and talk radio want?

woodworshiper

Just Browsing
Media
Not being an ass, serious question: Why pay 12.95 a month when digital radio is free? (less cost of reciever of course) Maybe picking exactly what you want, and chosing when you hear which song? Saw your xtubevid...You got a lot to be shy about...

bobabooey69

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have XM in my car, I like it as I have discovered music in my favorite genres ( and gotta love NO ads). But I also like owning all my own music and being able to take it anywhere with me on my iPod.

JMeister

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why pay $12.95/month to listen to the same 150 songs of each genre over and over again? Or did they fix that problem?

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I am buying a head unit for my car that has Sirius and a USB jack in it spcifically for an iPod. I like having both.

Why?

When I travel, I hate having to switch stations on a regular radio every 60 miles of so. I can have one NPR station on all 10 hours it takes me to get to Maine, where I vacation.

I like the programming and the variety of programming better on Sirius than on regular radio.

I can only get Howard Stern on Sirius.

I listen to regular radio for local programming.

I like the ipod and the way it integrates with iTunes, and when I was to listen to something very specific I'll use my ipod. If I just want to listen to music I may not necessarily own or if I want to listen to the real-time NPR feed, I use the Sirius.

RideRocket

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Your comparison is like comparing apples and oranges. The two really have nothing to do with the other. Although the satellite radios (XM and Sirius) are beginning to delve into the portable player market, there's still a lot of constraints.

Picking and choosing the songs you want and being able to choose when you listen to them is the level of user control that make mp3 players so attractive. Satellite radio may give you 'control' over a genre of music, but not to the level afforded by mp3 players.

I actually do both. I have Sirius radio in my car (and can listen to it over the internet) and buy songs regularly for my mp3 player (Zen Vision: M).

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't have either one yet - don't have the money. I'd like to get an mp3 player though. I could take it when I work out (give me incentive to go) and have music I like playing while I'm walking or whatever. Also would be good on road trips if there aren't any good radio stations.

I actually like flipping radio stations every hour or so on road trips though! I like to see what radio stations different parts of the country have. Of course if all they have is music I don't like, or worse, preaching stations(!) I will want the mp3 player! Mostly what I like in the way of radio stations are college radio or community radio. There aren't that many of those except in a few cities and college towns.

If I can find steady work again, and get a new car, I might have XM or Sirius in it, don't know which one of those I'd prefer though. Whichever one has the best indie rock and/or world music stations... Although San Antonio has college radio so I'm pretty happy with that.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It all depends what kind of music someone likes. For me i havent listened to a radio station in years for music. I used to like Talk radio. i just dont have the stomach for it anymore. I do like NPR. Its so nice and quiet on the AM( Medium wave) band..:smile:

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Your comparison is like comparing apples and oranges. The two really have nothing to do with the other. Although the satellite radios (XM and Sirius) are beginning to delve into the portable player market, there's still a lot of constraints.

your post said it all. that's exactly how i feel.

I don't have either one yet - don't have the money. I'd like to get an mp3 player though. I could take it when I work out (give me incentive to go) and have music I like playing while I'm walking or whatever. Also would be good on road trips if there aren't any good radio stations.

i love "This American Life" and get it as a podcast on my iPod. I only let myself listen to that show when I'm working out. It's a good incentive. Like I posted, road trips make an ipod and/or Sirius indispensible for me. I tend to fall asleep easily and the sounds, especially talk, keep me awake.[/quote]

gjorg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Listening to the same songs over and over or even shuffing songs sounds like it's for pre teens!

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yeah, NPR is the only radio I listen to anymore. I don't see the point of subscription services. I suppose if I was on the road all the time it might have some appeal. There's nothing worse than traveling thru some hick area where all you get is christian and country. But, that's what the iPods' for.

I have some obscure stuff on my iPod and ten years from now it might be impossible to find on a subscription basis. By owning it, I don't have to worry about that.

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I actually like flipping radio stations every hour or so on road trips though! I like to see what radio stations different parts of the country have.

I think it's fun when I'm driving somewhere and happen upon some ballgame (baseball, basketball, football, or whatever) being broadcast, whether it's a major league game or an area high school or college. That, and local news, are the only things that feel "regional" on the radio. I don't think that I'd like listening to the same programming coast-to-coast over satellite radio.

I still have my iPod, though. It's not just for music, either -- I can keep my calendars on it, use it as an address book, carry regular data files, and read text notes of driving directions. NPR podcasts are like my own on-demand radio shows, too.

And, if I set it to shuffle through my whole library, it'll go for days without repeating a track. Doing the same with my CD collection is physically impractical.

Lastly, my opinion about satellite radio -- I'm old school. I grew up when the only subscriptions anyone paid were for newspapers and magazines. TV and radio were free, and as far as music went, once you bought it, you owned it. I hate cable TV subscriptions (at its core, TV should be a public information resource), and I'm not going to pay for listening to radio when I could push a button and do it for free.

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think it's fun when I'm driving somewhere and happen upon some ballgame (baseball, basketball, football, or whatever) being broadcast, whether it's a major league game or an area high school or college. That, and local news, are the only things that feel "regional" on the radio. I don't think that I'd like listening to the same programming coast-to-coast over satellite radio.

I feel the same way. I have an iPod and love it but there's something kinda nostalgic about listening to a scratchy AM radio broadcast of vintage music, news or sports. I guess it reminds me of my youth when I spent countless evenings huddled around a battered old AM radio tuning in broadcasts from far away.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, NPR is the only radio I listen to anymore. I don't see the point of subscription services. I suppose if I was on the road all the time it might have some appeal. There's nothing worse than traveling thru some hick area where all you get is christian and country. But, that's what the iPods' for.

I have some obscure stuff on my iPod and ten years from now it might be impossible to find on a subscription basis. By owning it, I don't have to worry about that.

Yeah, those hick areas where all you get are Christian and country is what I'd want the mp3 player and/or XM/Sirius for! :biggrin1: I've driven through a few of those on road trips. I had a CD player in my car and I'd pop in a CD for those times.

Not a big fan of talk radio but some of the stuff on NPR is good. College and community radio sometimes have good talk programs too.

Commercial talk radio - forget it. It's mostly just screaming, ranting and raving. Ranks down there with the Christian and country. (and actually, I'd prefer the country over it...)

LeeEJ

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If you like talk programs subscribe to podcasts, you pick your topic and listen to it commercial free. NPR has lots of great podcasts, CarTalk is the best those guys crack me up.

I was so happy when Car Talk became a free podcast rather than paid downloads through their site. On the other hand, I'm bummed that Ebert & Roeper got pulled, since they're just about the only relevant movie review show I ever watched (although it was always better when Siskel was still around). At least NPR Movies kinda fills that gap.

Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me is another gem. Hilarious.

In both cases, I'm happy to get them as podcasts, since I'm not always near a radio when they're normally broadcast.

chico8

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was so happy when Car Talk became a free podcast rather than paid downloads through their site. On the other hand, I'm bummed that Ebert & Roeper got pulled, since they're just about the only relevant movie review show I ever watched (although it was always better when Siskel was still around). At least NPR Movies kinda fills that gap.

Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me is another gem. Hilarious.

In both cases, I'm happy to get them as podcasts, since I'm not always near a radio when they're normally broadcast.

That's the great thing about podcasting. I love Science Friday but rarely have the time to listen to it when it's broadcast. I just download it and listen to it over the weekend. It's all automatic so I don't have to do a thing.

Being freed from the constraints of radio programming is why I see no point in satellite radio.