XM/Sirius. So what is going to happen?

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I just got my renewal for 2 radios and it is $275 for a year. I know you can get different deals by calling to cancel, but I may just wait and see where this bankruptcy goes or how it ends up. $275 is more than I want to pay for a year of XM. I'd gladly pay half that. I guess it just costs too much to get satellites up in the air. One satellite is a half million dollar investment. Who knows how much it costs to get it up there. Quality has been going downhill, not the reception, but some channels have commercials now.

Despite the range of channel choices it's kind of the Muzak of whatever the category is. In fact I think XM owns Muzak or has an interest in it.

The reception is a lot better than FM is all. But then FM is fucking free.

We should find out more about the bankruptcy soon. They dragged out the fucking merger for months though. I just think they need a lower price point. You shouldn't have to call to cancel to get the half price deal. It's like all those supermarket cards I have stuffed in my wallet to get the regular price. Otherwise I have to pay tourist prices at my local supermarket. It seems like prices for products and services get more fictional everyday.

SpeedoMike

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
make sure they don't go broke and stop broadcasting... that's a lot of $$$ to be screwed out of. and yes, FM is still free (although Obama is probably cooking up a user fee as we speak!

D_Jurgen Klitgaard

Account Disabled
Media
My dad and I both have new trucks, and the Sirius trial term is about to expire on both. $275 is way too much though right now. I sure will miss having it though. I do wish though that they'd start putting HD receiver radios in these new vehicles.

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I (we) have two vehicles, both with XM. I had a portable with a boombox but only used it when camping, so I let my membership to that one expire. Now, I get calls about once a week, sometimes twice, wanting me to renew. I listened to music on the portable but Talk Radio in the cars.

I resent having to pay extra for a music royalty fee and have told them that.

I think with so many now having music on the ipods and plugging them in for car playback, XM/Sirius is hurting. Serves them right!

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I just got my renewal for 2 radios and it is $275 for a year. I know you can get different deals by calling to cancel, but I may just wait and see where this bankruptcy goes or how it ends up. $275 is more than I want to pay for a year of XM. I'd gladly pay half that. I guess it just costs too much to get satellites up in the air. One satellite is a half million dollar investment. Who knows how much it costs to get it up there. Quality has been going downhill, not the reception, but some channels have commercials now.

Despite the range of channel choices it's kind of the Muzak of whatever the category is. In fact I think XM owns Muzak or has an interest in it.

The reception is a lot better than FM is all. But then FM is fucking free.

We should find out more about the bankruptcy soon. They dragged out the fucking merger for months though. I just think they need a lower price point. You shouldn't have to call to cancel to get the half price deal. It's like all those supermarket cards I have stuffed in my wallet to get the regular price. Otherwise I have to pay tourist prices at my local supermarket. It seems like prices for products and services get more fictional everyday.

To launch such a satellite cost them half a billion dollars.

I bought Sirius for Howard Stern. His show has become shit since he no longer has a comedian on the show. He supposedly has a comedy writer (an unfunny ex-intern) but he no longer says anything funny. It's just bitching and complaining about American Idol and Jay Leno. He puts no effort into his show at all.

Howard does not work Fridays and takes 11 weeks of vacations off. He also had almost an hour of commercials during his 4.5 hour show. He is now also reading live commercials during Robin's news segment. Howard got a $80 million dollar stock bonus 6 months after getting there for reaching subscriber numbers and quickly dumped it while the price was high.

I had Sirius for almost 4 years since Howard got there. Their radios are shitty. I had to buy 5 different units in the 4 years to replace faulty antennas and power cords.

The last straw that made me cancel was after they merged and they said they would not raise prices. They added a music royalty fee of $2. Sirius is supposed to pay that for the music that they play. They also started charging $3 a month to listen online, which was formerly included.

Another part of the last straw was when they offered me a free radio when I called to cancel because mine was broken. The sent me a non working unit and tried to stall me to keep paying for the service. I returned it but they told me the unit was not in stock and to keep calling them to check when it would be in. Fuck that shit.

I wouldn't accept their service if it was free. If I want to listen to Howard I can download the show from a torrent site later in the day. I also found a way to listen to the show live through a Pirate Radio site. There is another way to listen to the show via a blog after 12 noon.

Sirius is an outdated product. Wifi and internet radio is the new medium that will lead to it's failure. The stock has been doing poorly. The only money they made was the hostile takeover of XM and getting rid of their music channels and office building in Manhattan.

Sirius XM is due to fail. The stock has been as low as 15 cents, at one point it went down to 5 cents. It's a product that can be foiled by clouds, trees or tunnels. Better to download the shows or music and listen on your Ipod.

The Opie and Anthony show is much funnier. It is laugh out loud funny. It's on XM but I download it from the torrent sites. Howard's next contract looks doomed. He shot himslef in the foot with wanting the merger now he has no other satellite radio company to bargain with. If he stays it will be for less money are less work. He has also become insane recently and said "I will piss on my audience if I want to".

Last edited:

pwrdick

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I had not even considered buying a satellite radio until I bought my new car last June and they provided 6 months free satellite. The radio built into my car gets good sound quality - so it might be better than a purchased radio unit. I got hooked on it because I travel far enough every week to need to re-set my stations, and it was nice being able to take a two hour drive and listen uninterupted to the same program.

When my 'free trial' period was over this last December, I called to subscribe. They've got much more attractive offers than what you seem to be offered: I paid $288.04 for I believe three years of service. That included a weird music royalty fee that they didn't inform me that I was going to have to pay in addition to my lock-in subscription. But I am fine making sure artists are compensated for their work, even though we don't pay it via FM stations ourselves (borne by the commercials, which I am also happy to avoid).

I'd recommend calling Sirius and letting them know you are going to drop it unlesss you see a better package and have them walk you through the different approaches. I doubt there's any more upside with their bankruptcy - they just had their first profitable quarter.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Free yourself from FM Radio. Unless you have access to a lot of good college radio stations (such as in Boston) then why subject yourself to the same 5 songs, fifteen times a day for three months at a time? On some stations, you're guaranteed to hear a Beyonce or Lady Gaga record every hour on the hour. Ugh! Even Satellite radio has its moments where you're stuck listening to the same artists repeatedly, even if they do sometimes dig in the crates and find something different.

Just grab an iPod, fill it up with thousands of the records & audio podcasts you want, set it to shuffle and get a car system that will allow you to make the connection. At least this way you'll really control what you want to hear.

toreadore

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
275 seems a lot, I have 2 radios I pay for one in my car and one in my partners car I think the fee is about $ 12 - 15 a month... But we have had them for at least 6 years.. maybe it's the old contract price im able to keep same as with our cellphones...

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
InvestorPlace.com: Time to Get Serious on Sirius (SIRI) Stock Valuation?

Satellite radio kingpin Sirius XM Radio (SIRI) finally broke back through the $1/share barrier a couple of weeks ago after nearly 18 months in penny stock territory. But the euphoria didn't last too long, as the stock opened below $1 this morning and has been struggling to get back to the heady levels of last week. Volume is very heavy, at more than 52 million shares in the first hour of trading, not far from the three-month daily average volume of 53.5 million shares.

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Another thing that pissed me off if when I had three accounts, each one had a different billing starting date and it was hard to keep up with renewals. Although I would receive notices, I called and asked them if I could have all accounts changed to one. They said they couldn't pro-rate.

When (and IF) I renew next renewal date, I'll insist on a better deal or else cancel.

As I previously posted I gave up one account and have been besieged with weekly calls offering me a special rate if I would come back.

B_dxjnorto

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
As I previously posted I gave up one account and have been besieged with weekly calls offering me a special rate if I would come back.
Yeah, I'm just gonna wait for the calls or coupons. Mem has a lot of good ideas, but they are effortful and cut into my LPSG time. :smile2: