Xmas Tree Timing

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by exwhyzee, Nov 29, 2008.

1. exwhyzee

Gold Member

Until a few decades ago, Christmas Trees weren't purchased and decorated until Christmas Eve. These days, people put their trees up earlier and earlier (and even keep them up year-round).

For those who celebrate Christmas, when do you put up your Christmas Tree? Is it earlier or later than when you were a kid? Are there any differences in nationality? I know some Mediterranean nationalities focus more of Epiphany rather than Christmas...does that change the timing of the tree?

2. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

We put up a week before christmas, not too early. It's still the same as a few years ago. But we are taking much more effort to decorate it well so that we can get that cosy christals feeling.

3. Mem

Mem
    Gold Member

I'm too lazy to decorate for the Holidays. Once I got as a gift a cute ceramic bucket that has a reindeer hanging off the side. If I can find that I will set it out. I also bought one of those 18 inch trees once, but I don't know if I still have it.

4. SpeedoMike

Gold Member

stores were selling artificial Christmas trees in September... as for me, I don't do Christmas trees any more.

5. Principessa

Gold Member

We have always had an artificial tree as long as I can remember. My mom is big on Christmas as am I. The tree goes up December 1, but I have noticed in recent years it can take a week to fully decorate. :redface: She has been known to leave it up until February, just cause she likes to look at it.:biggrin1:

Dad on the other hand is ready to take it down New Year's Day. I like to leave it up until Epiphany, but that's it.

6. hung

Gold Member

Albums:
    Always a real tree. My parents always had a real tree. When I was much younger before I left home, the males in the family obtained a Cedar Tree from along the many streams near the Upper Mississippi River. It was appropriate to ask the land owner for permission. We usually obtained the tree from a relative's farm so there was no problem with getting permission.

I, at my mature age, still do a real tree. We get it from a Tree Farm and we have been known to have a Christmas Tree that is in the sixteen to eighteen feet tall range.

We usually put it up before the tenth of December and for sure prior to the first big Christmas event that we may be hosting at our home and leave it up through the 6th of January. Because they are real we water it each day.

In my youth, the tree did go up just a few days before Christmas and usually went down when it was to dry to safely keep it up.

Thanks for asking.

7. flame boy

flame boy Account Disabled

I usually decorate somewhere around the 8-10th December. Always have and always will!

8. camper joe

Gold Member

As a child I remember we got our tree about a week before Christmas. Usually on a Saturday afternoon we would go out into the woods and just pick one out. Drag it back to the house and set it up that night, taking it down with in days of Christmas morn.

Now the tree goes up earlier but it stay up still just a fews days after Christmas morning. I trend sick of it even before the day arrives.

#8 camper joe, Nov 29, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  9. got_lost

Gold Member

Bah humbug camper!!!!

As a kid my Mum would put it up Christmas eve and couldn't wait to take it down but would hang on til the 12fth night.

It was always this silver artificial one so when I had my own place I got my first real one.

After years of dragging the damned thing upstairs and spraying the hallways with needles, I'm back to an artificial one, albeit a green one. :rolleyes:

I like to put it up a week before Christmas, on a sunday afternoon and take it down on the 12fth day. But if no-ones coming to stay and we're not here on CHristmas day, then I keep it pretty minimalist.

10. D_Teasdale Tittithorne

When I was little we always went out on Thanksgiving weekend to get a tree, and since so much work went in to decorating, it could stay up well into January. So it seemed like it was around FOREVER.
    I've never really been into decorating for Christmas, and since I have a Muslim boyfriend, it seems a little silly to decorate our house. But over the years people have given me anti-Christmas ornaments such as political figures, phallic symbols, and bizarre found objects. So now I put my everything-but-Christmas tree up sometime around the first week of December, and this year I better get help from the boyfriend!

11. prepstudinsc

Gold Member

Growing up, we always had a real tree that we cut down. These days, because I get so busy at Christmas, I usually put it up the weekend after Thanksgiving and I always keep it up until Epiphany. That way, it stays up all through Advent, the 12 days of Christmas, and Epiphany. I just finished decorating my tree a little while ago. The past few years, I've put up an artificial one, just for the convenience factor. A real tree is always the best, though.

12. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    We always put it up on the 23rd, let the branches drop and decorate it on Christmas eve. It gets taken down shortly after New Years day. Always a real one, I cannot abide a fake tree.

This year I won't be in N. America for Christmas, it's just another working day where I live.

13. Nala

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I put it up at last on December 11, because the next day is my birthday. My mom used to decorate our tree the night before my birthday when I was a little kid.
    We had an artificial one when I was a kid. I always buy a real one. The tree will be taken down after Advent.

Draft saved Draft deleted