YAHOO LPSG CHAT TONIGHT!!!!

sammygirly: Okies, as promised - things are set up and ready to go and we sooooo look forward to you all coming and participating.  We've had tons of fun already just the few of us who have "dry runned" it.

impassioned_sm

If you are on my YIM friends list, I will invite you to the chatroom as soon as you log on.

If I am on yours, you can IM me and I'll add you and invite you lickity-split.

-or- You can use the "Go To Chat User" function and you will join me instantly.

If you can find your own way in, it's in Voice Chat, room name is LPSG: Meat and Greet!!:1

The only real rules are:

1. Identify yourself with your LPSG nickname when you enter so we know who we're talking with.

2. Don't use the "Hands Free" function please as it ties up the mic and causes echo/feedback/static.

3.  Turn on your sound/voice as soon as you enter to experience all the fun, and remember to type in the room as much as possible as well for those joining who cannot use voice.

That's about it besides the usual, be polite stuff we all already know  ;D

For your information, I am idling in the room as of right now and you can join at any point and time although it doesn't officially start until 9PM EST.  If I don't respond, I'm eating or otherwise away.

LETS MAKE IT AN EVENT TO REMEMBER!!

mindseye: Ack. I hate I missed this -- I had been looking forward to it, too. Let us know how it went and when the next one will be.

awellhungboi: Yeah, we missed you Mindseye. Hope you can make the next one.

It was a blast!

aussiechick63: I hope you guys all had a good time getting to know each other. Being during the day here was a bit harder for me and I couldn't make it. :'(
It would have been good fun to talk to everyone instead of going into an empty chatroom.

awellhungboi: Aw, Aussie, we wish you could have been there! We shouldl set up a more International one soon.

B_DoubleMeatWhopper

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[quote author=aussiechick63 link=board=meetgreet;num=1063402335;start=0#3 date=09/13/03 at 16:32:04]
It would have been good fun to talk to everyone instead of going into an empty chatroom.[/quote]

Aussie, console yourself that you can get into the chat room at all. Some of us can't. If the group decides to schedule a chat that's more convenient internationally timewise, I still won't be able to join in.

jackinman: Yep we really had a good time. Hopefully the interenational people can join us in the next one.

longtimelurker: As for quoting times for an international chat, would it be better to quote in GMT? I didn't know how far I was away form EST (although I have just checked via the Windows clock), but I presume that people know their time difference from GMT?

I suppose that the members that are likely to take part are all in the US (between GMT-9h and GMT-5h), Europe (GMT to GMT+2) and Australasia (GMT +8 to +12)?

I think the best time that would suit all 3 is to have GMT = 11:00pm or thereabouts. This would mean it would be between 2-6pm in the US/Canada, 11:00pm - 01:00am in Europe and 7:00am - 11:00am in Austalasia. Obviously, this would have to be over a weekend  :).

Obviously, if there isn't anyone at either extreme in any of the three continents (esp. the Australasians) then it may be a good idea to let people know, as it would allow a bit more flexibility in choosing times.

Sorry, Sammygirly - I don't want to take over your organising the chat sessions!!!  ;)

longtimelurker: Hmm - it's a difficult thing to simplify further... I know, I'll use one of those funky looking buttons at the top...

It appears that the BB doesn't like tables much, but it is there - just scroll a LONG way down the bottom! I'll hop over to Admin to see if they can sort it out!

Oh, and I decided that I don't think we have any Alaskans, so the US now spans from Pacific to Eastern timezones.

GMT USEuropeAustralasia
- GMT-8 (Pacific) GMT-5 (Eastern) GMT (W Eur) GMT+2 (E Eur) GMT+8 (Perth) GMT+12 (Auckland)
22:0014:0017:0022:000:006:0010:00
23:0015:0018:0023:001:007:0011:00
00:0016:0019:0000:002:008:0012:00

awellhungboi: Wow, LTL, I'm impressed!

If I can presume to speak for Sammy, anyone and everyone who wants to organize chats is certainly welcome to do so! Just be sure and let us know the times and dates.

Sorry for the America-centrism. I apologize if anyone felt excluded.

sammygirly: Yes, you're absolutely right Monstro - these things need not be organized ONLY by me.

Honestly, we did wait up very late to see if other timezones would join in - but it's just so very hard.

HOLY at the chart....I'm warning you now I'm TERRIBLE at timezones...

longtimelurker: HOLY - sammygirly? I don't think I've heard that one before.

Besides. I don't think I'd have spoken at the first one, anyway even if it was at a better time - just me being shy, I guess :-[! But if any of the other Euro members wanted to speak, they'd have had to stay up until about 4-5AM with a 9:00PM eastern start time!

Unfortunately, one of the best things about the internet is also one of its problems - the time differences, and looking at the times, the ones I listed are the only ones where people don't need to be up at stupid times (like 3 in the morning) to participate.

One alternative solution is that seeing how america-centric this boards population seems to be is to alternate between US/Aus friendly times and US/Eur friendly times. That way the timings are still convenient, the majority of the board can participate - and you're catering for us pesky foreigners! :)

7x6andchg: I think using GMT would be fine.

For those who are interested, I was going to pick up Sammy's torch and run with it - shooting for October 10th.

I think 2300 ZULU would be doable - we can certainly start that early and go from there. That would be:
3:00 pm on the West Coast of the US
5:00 pm Central US
6:00 pm Eastern US
11:00 pm London/GMT
12:00 AM Paris
8:00 AM in Perth and 12:00 pm in Auckland

If I'm reading that chart right....but I'd think that would be workable - we'd be able to start and for those Europeans who wanted to join us (the last one went until about 1:30 AM on the E coast of the US) could do so.

This whole long post just to say that I'll offer to organize and I'll shoot for 5 pm Central on 10/10.

Paul

jackinman: Excellent idea LTL and Paul. That sounds very good and looks fair enough for our Euro members to participate. I'll put put October 10 on my calendar.

longtimelurker: Just a thought for our wonderful moderators ::)

Would it be an idea to make this a sticky topic, or to have some other thread basically stating next chat planned for...

gigantikok: That's a good idea.

Don't make this topic sticky, but what until the next chat date has been planned. Post a topic with the date of the chatting posted in the title a week or so before the actual date, and make it a sticky topic.

Let people figure out the timezones themselves. :)

longtimelurker: [quote author=7by6etC link=board=meetgreet;num=1063402335;start=0#13 date=09/14/03 at 13:25:44]8:00 AM in Perth and 12:00 pm in Auckland

If I'm reading that chart right....[/quote]

That should be 7:00 and 11:00 respectively, I'm afraid - you switched lines half-way.

And remember, if you have daylight savings time in effect it will screw it up a bit. It will be 12:00PM in London (BST), for instance. Do you have daylight saving in effect over there????

I'll go and have tea now before my head explodes! :-/

7x6andchg: Yes we do - DST is in effect until the end of October...except in Arizona, Indiana, and I think Hawaii?

Anyway - it should be close enough - those are the start times and we'll be around for a while if last time is any indication.   :D

I will create a new one and stickify it when it gets closer.

Paul