aninnymouse

Cherished Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Oh, like you don't.

If I had one, I MIGHT. Though, when I was a child, I had a bad experience with some pepper. At least I think it was pepper. Alls I know was, It burned!

Anyways, yeah, Getting inappropriat vision of Audrey Rose here.....Someone take her teefesis out. ;-)

Attachments

xX_Sarah_Xx

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It seems to have been exacerbated from sexual activity/antibiotics/and a new lube. Since I am uninsured I am unable to call up a gyn for any pharmaceuticals by prescription. And there are a million to choose from!

Is there an over-the-counter that you ladies could recommend to use on the inside/outside?

Note that I'm itchy on the external labia only- no discharge at all.

I'm not looking for homemade suggestions such as tampons soaked in yogurt or anything like that.

Hey guys, one little remark, a lot of people seem to mess up a yeast infection with a fungal infection. While both occur when your bacterial flora is messed up, they're not the same.
(Especially since MR is on antibiotics - fungal infections are a very common "side-effect" - candida infections are especially common).
Yeast infections are usually somewhat "lighter" and occur more easily, less related to antibiotics use. Hormonal imbalances can sometimes trigger yeast proliferation too.

If it is a yeast infection and you're itchy on the external labia only, what could help is just hydrate the area. (This is not an evidence-based approach but in practice often has effect, it just hasn't been researched). Use some hypoallergenic, non-perfumed hydrating cream - the same kind you would use on your skin after a bath (only the outer labia though, if you're itching on the inside as well, those creams don't have the right pH). Aside from that, try to wear cotton panties without pantyliners. At night, don't wear panties if you can keep from scratching. If you can't, keep them on but use cotton ones - they "breathe" more.

The problem might last as long as you need to take those antibiotics. They mess up your bacterial balance giving the yeast cells and fungi a higher chance to proliferate.

When you're itching on the inside too, you will need an antimycotic creme. Gyno-daktarin and canestene are OTC on the Belgian market but I don't know if it's OTC in the USA? Any gyn-creme that has miconazole nitrate or clotrimazole would be your best bet then (I believe those are the active substance best researched/most deemed safe-to-use).

That is... if I remembered it all correctly from my course. I will look it up when I have the chance (course isn't within my reach right now). Hope this has helped some!

Edit: Gyno-daktarin and canestene are NOT homeopathic, they are actual active substances with evidence-based effectiveness. Active substances always have (per definition) a chance of side-effects. You're right in hesitating to put any stress on your womanly parts if it isn't really necessarily given what you've been through recently. I would suggest trying to hydrate first. It should sooth the itching and speed up the natural healing process, even if your bacterial flora is a bit messed up right now...

Best of luck!

Last edited:

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Most of this stuff is not available in the US and certainly not available to me locally. I deal with yeast in various parts of my body regularly because of Lupus. I get thrush pretty easily as well. The vaginal yeast is usually not even a noticeable issue until I have to take a stronger dose of antibiotics than usual (like Cipro for example) but the penicillin seems to be making it a bigger issue this time as well. I'm supposed to take a low dose antibiotic daily to combat the problems with UTIs. So when you put two and two together along with the Lupus you can see why I'd battle it so frequently.

I was on VERY strong antibiotics post-hysterectomy to help avoid infection like Staph (because I get that pretty frequently too with my immune system being compromised) and when I got home I had the nastiest looking yeast rash under both breasts and oral thrush. I'm very sensitive to it as you can see.

Since I have to go through the Indian clinic it would literally be an all day wait at the walk-in clinic to get something prescription strength so I thought I would ask to see what you ladies used vaginally for a yeast infection once it has already made itself known.

I look in the aisle at the store and there are so many treatments and brands that I don't even know where to start. And I'm only newly uninsured to not get a diflucan (the yeast infection pill) by making a call to my doctor.

Oh the joys of being me!