Yelp is shit.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by earllogjam, Aug 17, 2011.

1. earllogjam

Gold Member

I have been burned so many times going to restaurants with good yelp reviews only to experience that the place is way over rated.

I really don't understand this phenomenon of bad places getting such good reviews. The only thing I can think of is that adage that if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all, so only the glowing reviews of places make it on their site.

Has anyone else have this problem with Yelp?

I think their reviews are shit. The format makes it easy to believe reviews and ratings but what it actually comes down to is taking the advice of people you don't know or wouldn't trust in real life. Or basically dumb teenagers who have very limited and specific horrible tastes.

I have a feeling that most of the reviews especially on some mediocre places with 4 stars are made by either the restaurant owners or their friends to prop up a lousy place - which makes the whole site basically useless and tragically flawed.

I am just beginning to understand the way Yelp works now, unfortunately.:frown1:

I think the site sucks big time and very unreliable.

#1 earllogjam, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  2. Serial Kisser

Serial Kisser Well-Known Member

I use NearMe

3. mako shark

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I use Yelp all the time but you have to read between the lines sometimes. Resturants (tastes) are a bit subjective so I pay more attention parking, service, parking and such...

4. TurkeyWithaSunburn

Gold Member

Albums:
  5. Not_Punny

Gold Member

Albums:
    Just like at Amazon.com, the reviews ARE sometimes fake. What I do is check the review history of reviewers that give glowing reviews. If the reviewer doesn't have an extensive review-history, I shit-can the review.

6. kenny233

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    That's a good practice. I always do that for product reviews on sites like Amazon.

I have used Yelp a few times and found it to be fairly accurate, but I agree with the OP that there seems to be a lack of mediocre or negative comments.

Draft saved Draft deleted