YES! Black History Month is Necesssary.

lonestar692000

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
It's been 6 days, mr. wonderful...time for a response.

I keep bringing your infantile posts up because you continually profess that everyones views and opinions, other than yours, of course, are "ignorant." The fact of the matter is that you are the epitome of the word.

You are an egocentric, uneducated attacker who thinks you look cool by belittling others with your infliction of "I'm-right-your-wrong" views. You think it makes you look cool, but you are sorely mistaken, because it does the exact opposite.

I noticed in a later post, you make reference to your genitals. I'll not be going there, mr. wonderful.

Have a nice night and please enjoy the last word. I know you're just egocentric enough that you will lose sleep if you do not have it.

Ok but seriously why do you continually bring me up in this thread out of nowhere? Are you and mrgnat seeing each other?

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
People better recognize. Just because Barack is the popular one now, doesn't mean that he's going to get the position. I was in the military in Florida when that Bush mess went down. Thousands of us didn't get to vote, absentee. He still got the presidency. If Barack Obama is going to be the "First Black" I'll believe it when I see it.

God bless us all.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I will have you know that my state happens to have more people of color (Of every ethnicity) than Caucasian. THe world has not come to an end. People are not throwing chicken bones out of their windows, property values have stayed firm and low riders with dice in the mirror playing "Des Colores" is not de riguer....

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
yes ... in your State you're only in danger if you show your colors for a team other than the Dallas Cowboys, and only when they're losing (I'm surprised I'm still alive after wearing my Seattle Sea Hawks cap, that weekend Dallas lost to them)... and, in your State you don't have entire communities made up only of one group or another ...

in California, home of political correctness, you're in danger just by being of a different color than the neighborhood or community you might wander into, or by

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
yes ... in your State you're only in danger if you show your colors for a team other than the Dallas Cowboys, and only when they're losing (I'm surprised I'm still alive after wearing my Seattle Sea Hawks cap, that weekend Dallas lost to them)... and, in your State you don't have entire communities made up only of one group or another ...

in California, home of political correctness, you're in danger just by being of a different color than the neighborhood or community you might wander into, or by

Let me elaborate. As I told you I pay taxes in TX as in NC, NM, VA but I live in a little state right about VA. The pendulum is going to continue to swing back and forth until it hits the middle. How long that will take no one knows...

B_Nick4444

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Let me elaborate. As I told you I pay taxes in TX as in NC, NM, VA but I live in a little state right about VA. The pendulum is going to continue to swing back and forth until it hits the middle. How long that will take no one knows...

OMG -- VA!!! :eek:

trying to follow in CA's footsteps!!!!!!

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
All I know is that he can't be a dud. If he is, he'll set black people back 50 years.

Sweets ,

That isn't fair. We cant make him the great black hope and pile all of that on him. He is one person and as a mere human being subject to faults just like anyone else. We have to get to a point where seeing or accepting someone in color as the person in charge isn't such a novelty. We also shouldn't take any weaknesses or flaws in that person personally. Now that is behaving as if we are living 50 years ago. Black people are not monolithic though others and even we ourselves may look at folks as a group it isnt that simple.

D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Experimental Member
Media
Let me educate you pup, as well as some others. It seems you are clearly unaware that for over 100 years the only thing mentioned in U.S. history books about Black Americans was slavery. So yes, Black History Month is still necessary.

or the slave trade is limited to American slave trade and was spurred from the slave trade among tribes in Africa. Yeah yeah, I've read it.

However the american slave trade was more prolific that the trans-atlantic slave trade.

That being said, slavery should not be the only subject covered during Black History month. The problem is dedicating a month to Black History - is still a segregated, temporal context. I get it - there's woman's history, black history, etc. Covering the civil war in history class was important, because "black history" was a part of the lecture, part of the north versus the south. Not just something that was invoked in February, like the underground railroad.

Okay...I'm going on a rant now. I'll stop.

marleyisalegend

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
How have I been posting this long and missed this gem? OF COURSE black history deserves a month to be recognized, since the other 11 months are spent talking about how we're all thugs and newscasts about black violence and black crimes that, by numbers we commit less, yet are more likely to be discussed in the news than the people who BY FAR commit these crimes more than we do.

Black History Month has been EARNED because, contrary to popular belief, we've contributed VASTLY to science, medicine, technology, and damnit most importantly (to me anyway) we have injected our culture all up and through some damn art (especially music).

"The only race that has not made an (intellectual) contribution to civilization is the black race." A quote from a FAMOUS HISTORIAN, Arnold Toynbee.

1001 Black Inventions is a HILARIOUS play that culminates with "The Twilight Zone," a depiction of a typical American family trying to survive in a world without black inventions. Audiences laugh themselves into the realization that African American ingenuity is an integral part of their EVERYDAY LIVES.

Here are some everyday items we use that were invented by blacks. This is a LONG list I'll shorten for the sake of time and it will be noted that while some of these are original inventions, others are improvements of items that were already invented, or more practical versions: the wrench, eye protectors, egg beaters, air conditioning unit, 2-cycle gas engine, internal combustion engine, starter generator, electric lamp, pressure cooker, pencil sharpener, fire extinguisher, gas mask, traffic signal, folding chair, fountain pen, dustpan, hydraulic shock absorber, refrigerator, mop, helicopter, fire escape ladder, roller coaster, auto air brakes, automatic gear shift, cellular phone, elevator, golf tee, guitar, ice cream/ice cream scoop, ironing board, keychain, motor, lunch pail, small pox inoculation (Onesimus brought this method from Africa where advanced medical practices were in use long before Europeans had any medical knowledge), spark plug, stethoscope, thermostat control, toilet, trolley car.

Lewis Howard Latimer, born September 4, 1848. Though Thomas Edison is credited with the invention of the lightbulb, Latimer made SIGNIFICANT contributions to its further development.

William Hinton, 1883, was a black bacteriologist and pathologist and the first black professor in the history of Harvard. Hinton developed a test for syphilis which, because of its accuracy, was used by the United States Public Health Service.

Lloyd Hall, 1883, made significant contributions to food preservation, meat curing, antioxidants being used to prevent food spoiling,

My favorite part, our contributions in popular music. Ella Fitzgerald excelled in the use of scatting and vocally immitating instruments in jazz music. Her incomparable timing, phrasing, and range employed tactics that are often immitated and she's frequently referred to as a study-guide for jazz vocalizing.

I don't have enough time to tell you how awesome these entertainers are, but they're OFTEN cited as inspirations to popular artists today, Odetta, Bessie Smith, Billie Holiday, Ray Charles, Fats Domino, Louis Armstrong, Jelly Roll Morton, Aretha Franklin, Al Green, Marian Anderson, James Brown, Josephine Baker, James Booker, Grace Bumbry, BB King.

Many of these guys have performed for the presidents, and are not only known for their incredible showmanship onstage, but are as famous for, at the drop of a dime and with no rehearsal, picking up their instrument or opening their mouth and displaying more talent in that unrehearsed moment than most pop stars do today with 8 hours of choreography lessons a day and 3 months to prepare.

These aren't/weren't the people on the cover of the magazines, but their contributions to the actual art and not sensationalism of their private lives will be recongized in the future for being exceptionally talented, not for being on film sniffing coke and going on drunken tirades at the MTV Awards.

Other notables in black arts, Maya Angelou poet/activist, Anthony Davis composer (most notably of an operatic biography of Malcom X), Virginia Hamilton children's author, geez this could go on for days.

My friends and I in high-school often joked that black history month was given to counter the rest of the school year that was spent hearing about brave white soldiers, and white inventors and great/noble white presidents. Slavery and the slaughter of indians were subchapters within chapters that were usually discussed in a few paragraphs, unlike the PAGES that discussed white heroes in great detail and with heavy praise.

I feel that black history month is an attempt to recognize our SIGNIFICANT contributions to, well every fucking thing you do from the moment you wake up, shower and wash your hair, to the car you drive, to the music you listen to IN that car, to the television you watch after work to the food you eat at dinner.

The most popular idealogy I can think of is Eminem. Many members of my generation feel like HE is the one who brought rap to the mainstream and thus is the inventor/innovator of rap. I wonder if a black man talking about raping his mom would've been as well received. There are many people who naturally assume that everything was invented by white people and all black people do is suck up welfare funds and tax dollars while contributing nothing to society cuz we're all uneducated baby-makers and thugs. These mentalities and racisms aren't just employed by whites, but self-loathing blacks and anti-black hispanics who fall for the perpetuation of blacks as useless leeches.

Black history month is also in vein of the racism we've faced in this country. We spent YEARS being called unintelligent porch monkeys that weren't allowed to sit in white restaurants or use white fountains. I think BHM isn't JUST a celebration of our contributions, but a celebration of the fact that we've risen up FROM THE BOTTOM, from slavery and the INNOVATORS in science, medicine, art, education, technology, and politics.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree, we have 11 other months of white history.

You guys got the shortest, coldest month.

Lordy... "self guilty whitey" rhetoric.

Hispanic and asians are en force last I checked.

It's a shame Black History month and the great ppl we are reminded of aren't held aloft enough in many black communities. Not to go on a Bill Cosby rant, but the old guy does have a point. Curious if Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice will be held in great African American history.... doubt it.

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Lordy... "self guilty whitey" rhetoric.

Hispanic and asians are en force last I checked.

It's a shame Black History month and the great ppl we are reminded of aren't held aloft enough in many black communities. Not to go on a Bill Cosby rant, but the old guy does have a point. Curious if Colin Powell and Condoleeza Rice will be held in great African American history.... doubt it.

Rice has the stink of Bush on her. So, no.

Powell, maybe, he got out before the administration began to really show its corrupt and incompetent colors.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Rice has the stink of Bush on her. So, no.

Powell, maybe, he got out before the administration began to really show its corrupt and incompetent colors.

So because you disagree politically, Condy Rice as a black woman doesn't deserve recognition for her achievements both politically and private industry. Shame, and shame on you. If she was a Democrat, you be saying "Republicans would hate her because she's not only black, but a woman.

Back on topic. I think there needs to be more recognition of black history (mostly current) that exists without the "tow of plight". People like Stanley O'Neal, Colin Powell, Thomas Sowell. Not everyone needs to be a martyr or struggle to be a great contributor to American society. How about that for once....

B_New End

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If she was a Democrat, you be saying "Republicans would hate her because she's not only black, but a woman.

There have been lots of prominent black politicians, and alot of them dont deserve any special accolades. Rice hasn't accomplished anything of any significance, except a dismal job as diplomat as Secretary of State