YMCA's and showers

coachreffn

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I would imagine that YMCA's that are fairly established would have the gang style showers of another age. Most YMCA's now do not build new facilities but either borrow facilities at a school/college or they rent/lease/buy old gyms that have failed.

The last Y that I joined did have all male nude swimming every morning at 7:00 AM. You would go there and all of these elderly men would be in the pool. They were in great shape having worked out at the Y pool all those years. It was seen as the norm and was not erotic in the least. Not due to the men's ages but to the attitude. At firstI always wore a suit but they looked at me a bit odd. So I went nude. Great camaraderie there.

Reactions: Buddie

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The first gym I ever went to was a YMCA. This was as a young fratpack-er. The shower was communal and I guess it spoiled me for life. All through high school and college and beyond, I love the communal shower...guys just hanging out. I agree with another poster about being in a stall with a shower curtain. Nothing worse than a shower curtain sticking to you as you try to clean up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddie

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
I would imagine that YMCA's that are fairly established would have the gang style showers of another age. Most YMCA's now do not build new facilities but either borrow facilities at a school/college or they rent/lease/buy old gyms that have failed.

The last Y that I joined did have all male nude swimming every morning at 7:00 AM. You would go there and all of these elderly men would be in the pool. They were in great shape having worked out at the Y pool all those years. It was seen as the norm and was not erotic in the least. Not due to the men's ages but to the attitude. At firstI always wore a suit but they looked at me a bit odd. So I went nude. Great camaraderie there.

I'm amazed ( and frankly just a little skeptical) when I see there is nude swimming at the Y, esp nowadays. You sure you're not just sayin that to get us interested?

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
The first gym I ever went to was a YMCA. This was as a young fratpack-er. The shower was communal and I guess it spoiled me for life. All through high school and college and beyond, I love the communal shower...guys just hanging out. I agree with another poster about being in a stall with a shower curtain. Nothing worse than a shower curtain sticking to you as you try to clean up.

Good man! Let's destroy all the individual stalls in the country !

ZipidyDodaa

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In Hot Springs, Arkansas, the Y is open showers; so is another high-class health club in town. The Y has 4 heads in the open shower area, which includes a bench in the shower area. They need to beef up the A/C in the summer; it gets TOO hot in there.

I have been in that Y before. I stayed a weekend in HS and did all of the regular tourist things... Nice place, especially the bath houses! ;)

GodotNYC

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Our Y is a very traditional "Christian" organization so no chance of nude swimming.

Actually, traditionally, all Ys (which were, by definition, Christian organizations) in their first several decades of existence, not only allowed nude swimming, but often required it (this was before Ys became co-ed, of course). The same was true for numerous parochial schools and Ivy League and other universities. Bathing suits were considered unhygienic- Christian modesty didn't enter into the equation.

You guys all realize that the main reason gyms are switching to single-stalls is because of the greater awareness that gay people lurk among us, right? I know it's sometimes hard to believe, but statistically the majority of men at a gym are heterosexual, and the fact that we're all here confirming their fears that they're going to be ogled has a lot to do with the fact that now everybody wants more privacy.

Anyway, if you're really looking for action at a gym, the single stalls don't hinder that at all- I use the NYSCs here in New york, and the stalls all face each other. If you're interested, you leave the curtain half way open. That way the people who AREN'T don't have to worry about gay guys checking them out. (And the curtains also make it possible for two people to share, if the attendants aren't too zealous.) And if no one is interested in you, you can always take extra time changing in the main locker room.

(If you haven't figured it out, I have no nostalgia for group showers at all. Anyone who was an under-developed, over-developed, overly fat or overly thin kid knows why.)

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
is it safe to say all ymca's have open showers? has anyone ever seen anyone that doesnt? are there any other gyms like this?

In Sept. 2007 I was in a YMCA in Memphis TN that had curtains around every shower head. The attendant told me that he worked out at a different gym because he felt that curtains provided insufficient privacy; he wanted more substantial cubicals. I told him that until the 1970s, YMCA shower rooms were totally open and that men and boys were required to swim nude. I think he was shocked.

D_Randy_Cox

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The Y in Fort Worth TX just got done with "wonderful new renovations" Now totally "family friendly" and co-ed with ALL private stalls for showers, etc. Oh well, no sense joining now! LOL

I joined my local Y this month, and I love it! I paid a little extra for the adult only locker room (must be over 18 to enter). Not only does it have an open communal shower, it also has a steam room and a hot tub that EVERYONE uses completely naked. It offers a towel service, and even has a lounge in the locker room with a TV where guys can sit, relax and chat. I really enjoy the open casual atmosphere there. Like other guys, I walk from my locker to the shower, to the steam room to the hot tub and back to the shower naked. For the most part it's guys 30+ in there, but on occasion I have seen a few younger guys (18-30). The guys are totally uninhibited because they like me grew in a time where male modesty wasn't indulged in the slightest - not like the way it is today. I haven't seen any towel dancers whatsoever there. When guys enter the wet area, there is no modesty at all. It's just guys acting like guys, the way it should be.

Because my Y has a basic changeroom for guys of all ages as well (which has an open shower only), the shy guys tend to use that as the membership is about $15/month cheaper. If guys are going to shell out the extra money for the enhanced locker room, they are more likely to use all of the facilities it offers.

The shower room at my Y doesn't look that much different from the one in this pic taken in the 1930's except for newer fixtures. Unfortunately rub downs aren't offered:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

dickman45885

Sexy Member
Media
Open showers at my Y and no one really cares...but then mostly older guys when I go....we are not the best of shape, but remember round is a shape. Stand and talk in the shower and change room nude. All of us pretty comfortable with nudity.

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
Actually, traditionally, all Ys (which were, by definition, Christian organizations) in their first several decades of existence, not only allowed nude swimming, but often required it (this was before Ys became co-ed, of course). The same was true for numerous parochial schools and Ivy League and other universities. Bathing suits were considered unhygienic- Christian modesty didn't enter into the equation.

You guys all realize that the main reason gyms are switching to single-stalls is because of the greater awareness that gay people lurk among us, right? I know it's sometimes hard to believe, but statistically the majority of men at a gym are heterosexual, and the fact that we're all here confirming their fears that they're going to be ogled has a lot to do with the fact that now everybody wants more privacy.

Anyway, if you're really looking for action at a gym, the single stalls don't hinder that at all- I use the NYSCs here in New york, and the stalls all face each other. If you're interested, you leave the curtain half way open. That way the people who AREN'T don't have to worry about gay guys checking them out. (And the curtains also make it possible for two people to share, if the attendants aren't too zealous.) And if no one is interested in you, you can always take extra time changing in the main locker room.

(If you haven't figured it out, I have no nostalgia for group showers at all. Anyone who was an under-developed, over-developed, overly fat or overly thin kid knows why.)

Pretty sure Ivy league schools never had nude swimming...

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
In Sept. 2007 I was in a YMCA in Memphis TN that had curtains around every shower head. The attendant told me that he worked out at a different gym because he felt that curtains provided insufficient privacy; he wanted more substantial cubicals. I told him that until the 1970s, YMCA shower rooms were totally open and that men and boys were required to swim nude. I think he was shocked.

Despite many entries on the subject, I can't believe the Y promoted nude swimming. What was their rationale? I've heard it was to keep material from suits from clogging the drains, but that surely can't be the real reason. And you say yours had nude swimming in the 70's?? Tell us more.

B_Lightkeeper

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The old Y in Birmingham on 20th. Street had nude swimming and the showers located on one side. Steam and sauna area were cothes optional. Most went au natural. Nude rooftop sunning was allowed before all the hi-rise buildings were built around it.
Unfortunately the building was demolished and a newer location. I never went in in before I left Birmingham.

Incidentally, the old Y also had rooms for rent. Not per hour (I don't guess) but week, month and probably longer.

FRE

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Despite many entries on the subject, I can't believe the Y promoted nude swimming. What was their rationale? I've heard it was to keep material from suits from clogging the drains, but that surely can't be the real reason. And you say yours had nude swimming in the 70's?? Tell us more.

There's really very little to tell. Nude swimming was an olde tradition which was continued long after pool water management technology improved to the degree that the original reason for nude swimming ceased to exist.

Actually, it is difficult to argue that suits should be required. They seem to serve no useful purpose when it is only men swimming. In any case, suits are a nuisance to deal with. On the other hand, probably those who are uncomfortable nude should be permitted to wear suits, but it should be optional.

One time I was put in a very uncomfortable situation in the shower, not the pool. When I arrived at the YMCA after work, a black kid asked me where the weight room was; I told him, even though I was there to use the indoor track because running outside with the ice and show was impractical. Later, in the shower (it was a large open rectangular shower room with perhaps five shower heads on each long side), he took the shower directly opposite mine. He had a huge erection and persisted in staring at me. He was a very good looking kid, perhaps 16 years old, and there was no way that I was going to have anything to do with him. I was scared to death that I might get an erection. To deal with that fear, I carefully avoided looking in his direction and actually turned my back to him. As an excuse to get a frontal view of me, he walked over to the door to the swimming pool, opened it a crack, and looked out. When I walked to the drying area, he followed me, still with an erection, and stood about three feet from me. Then, he followed me to my locker, still with an erection, and watched me dress. I had to go through all sorts of mental gymnastics to avoid getting an erection and was really glad to get out of there. It amazed me that a kid could be so bold in a shower room with several men present. They had to notice; I wonder what they were thinking.

I'm sure glad that that never happened again. If he had been a few years older, I might have invited him to my condo, but I wasn't about to have anything to do with a kid that age.

AustinTX

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
In the 60's, not only did the men swim nude at the YMCA but if your school, junior and senior high, had an infoor pool the boys HAD to swim nude. Each semester for 4 weeks we had swimming and diviing in school and not only did the students swim nude but so did the coaches. All parents knew of the policy and no one, that I knew of, objected. There was just no way to deal with a wet suit afterwards so everyone just did without. We saw each other naked in the showers so it was no big deal to be naked in the pool, just more water. Thinking back, I was amazed at how many of the guys didn't know how to swim so this was an opportunity for them to learn. I remember one of the "jocks" who was totally terrified at the thought of getting in the pool and how he overcame his fear and learned to swim.
I am amazed at how things have changed. You hear guys says how the would love to go skinny dipping but are just too embarassed to do it. Why? I have a pool and rarely wear anything. I have friends with pools and they do the same.
Are we reverting back to Victorian times? You would think that with all a person can view on the internet seeing nudity in real life would be no big deal. Why have men become so afraid to see or be seen by another man? If they fear that another man might be gay and come on to them, they need to give up that idea. For most gay men it just doesn't work that way. As a gay man I do enjoy men, clothed and naked, but I would never think about stareing or commenting about any man that I do not know. Nor do I know of any gay man that would. Now I might comment about what I saw later to a friend but that's it. My guess is many of these men who have the problem really don't trust themselves and are fighting with their own feelings.
Bottom line, if you have a problem with naked men in the pool...don't swim. Besides, it's difficult to swim while try to cover your junk with one hand.