yoda

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
you know it is interesting.

I forgot how much i loved Yoda, and watching "The Empire Strikes Back" brought it all back to me. (it is on now)

during the three "prequels" they made him so annoying, but when you see just the 10 minutes of screen time in TESB, you realize what was so cool again.

Also, maybe it has to do with Frank Oz' voice not being the same over the years and being very different sounding in the recent movies then the originals...and also they had him talking backwards so much in the prequels that it just lost its luster and became annoying.

Also, the original Yoda was a puppet...and had some "life" to it...the new Yoda was CGI and totally annoying.

For example...

look how annoying in the new ones

YouTube - Yoda: Muppet or CGI?

and look how great in the Empire Strikes Back...so wonderfull...genuine, real, he is cute, funny, wise...just a perfect scene...just under 3 minutes, and it is better then all the hours of him in the 3 new ones

YouTube - Luke meets Yoda

Sometimes, simplicity is the best thing

anyone with me?

tripod

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I soooo agree with you Flashy! The original Yoda was largely patterned after Bodhidharma, the monk who brought Buddhism to China from India. Being a neo-Buddhist myself, I just love his wisdom and the way he talked during the Empire Strikes Back.

His speech was supposed to resemble the strange chopped up manner in which the master spoke to the disciple during Zen training. "Don't do that!" would be said as "Not to Do!" by a Zen Master and Lucas picked up on this and discombobulated Yoda's speech to resemble this no nonsense but thought provoking style. Talking this way is meant to catch the intellect off guard and penetrate the psyche to further the enlightenment of the trainee or disciple, just another tool in the arsenal of techniques used to blow the minds of the practitioners, paving the way for a glimpse into the true nature of reality.

Fuck CGI when it comes to a serious character with a lot of close ups like Yoda. Frank Oz was a genius protege of the late Jim Henson and created a masterpiece with the original Yoda, I'll take his work over CGI anyday.

His cameo as the corrections officer giving Jake his "personal items" back as he left Joliet prison in the Blues Brothers was AWESOME... too real! lol!!!!

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
very good points Tripod and very interesting...

in the later ones, nothing Yoda does or says is interesting, wheras his humor and character quirks are abundant in just that 2 and half minutes scene i posted...

the two favorites for me, are the first part when Luke says "I feel like..." and Yoda says "feel like what?" and luke spins around and points the blaster at yoda, and yoda simply howls and puts up his arm and all that protects him is his sleeve...i love that...

then when he says "Mine! Or i will help you not!"

and also "Slimy? Mudhole? My home this is!"

just classic