Yoga for getting in shape

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by audiilike, Dec 3, 2010.

1. audiilike

audiilike Member

Just had a quick question for the Yoga enthusiasts here. If i were to start practicing yoga for an hour a day 4-5 times per week, what kind of resluts should I expect (physical/mental). Obviously it would be at a yoga studio, and from qualified yoga instructors.

In other words, could I do yoga as my only fitness regime? forgoing weight and cardio training? How long woudl it take to see resluts, with 4-5 hours/week?

I'm not interested in bulking up, my main goals would be lean muscle mass, and deffinition.

Thanks

PS. Doesn't hurt that the scenery is usually fantastic! Chicks in yoga pants = :notworthy:

2. PerfectlySexy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Well, a lot depends on the type of yoga. I do bikram yoga 3-5 times a week and go to the gym 2-3 times a week. Although yoga is touted for mental benefits I'm not sure I notice the difference over the gym. The main benefits are setting aside time for yourself, working through stress/anxiety/depression or whatever issues are present.

While you can focus on lean muscle mass and definition in a gym as well it is true that there is a difference in the physique you will cultivate from yoga vs weight training. Yogis have a certain look and if that's the direction you want to go than yoga is the right path.

How soon you'll see results depends entirely on the type of yoga and your determination. Although I choose bikram yoga I do not consider myself as having drunk the bikram kool-aid. I will say that doing a bikram yoga challenge such as 30 classes in 30 days or 60 classes in 60 days will leave you with a new body by the end of the challenge. But best thing might be to try some different classes, see what you like, and then decide how it fits into a larger exercise routine. For me, bikram handles cardio, lower body, and core but not chest and arm strength so I focus on those in the gym.

3. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Yoga is so various.
    What kind of yoga are you thinking of doing?
    Maybe you don't yet have any idea.

4. nudeyorker

Gold Member

I do two, two hours of Iyengar Yoga a week. I don't think I could handle any more than that. But the results are amazing I can't recommend it highly enough.

5. Bunny

Bunny New Member

Albums:
    I only do yoga for 2-3 hours a week, but notice that i'm more toned, but wouldn't say I've lost weight from it. Mentally, I suppose thats my 'shut off' time...Its great for becoming more bendy though :biggrin1:

6. oldbrownshoe52

Yoga means union with the Lord; and he's within you and without you. He's not really a he either or separate from "you" but this is the nature of language. Hatha yoga is the excercise kind, it is important to breathe durring Hatha yoga and feel your body from the inside, so to speak, suck in that Prana.

7. audiilike

audiilike Member

Thanks for the comments everyone! I guess just sayin "Yoga" is vary vague. My sister is an avid Hot Yogi, and that's all the yoga i've done. Im not sure which type is best for each result. But the relaxing side of it, is a plus.

8. haulthat

haulthat Member

Albums:
    Yoga is bad ass, but it doesn't burn enough calories to be an effective weight loss routine in and of itself. Integrating it definitely won't hurt. Will need to balance the two to make sure not to burn yourself out. Good luck.

Get Fit Q&A: Does Yoga Burn Calories?

Get Fit Q&A: Does Yoga Burn Calories?
    Q.
    I tried yoga and I felt a good burn in my muscles, but will it help me burn calories?

A.
    This is a great form of exercise, but it shouldn't be your primary source of calorie-burning activity. Burning calories in yoga depends greatly on the type you're doing. Some forms, like the more active Ashtanga yoga, will have you burning more than others. But, on average, you'll expend about 250 calories per hour in yoga class. Now, 250 isn't a puny number, but if you're looking to lose weight, you may also want to add a few cardio sessions to your weekly routine. But remember, some of yoga's many benefits include stress relief, mental clarity, and improved flexibility and balance -- all of which can help contribute to weight loss.

[Nestpert] Jessica Smith, a personal trainer and creator of the exercise DVD WomenÂ’s Health: Train Your Body Type

-- Grace Jidoun

9. erratic

Gold Member

Then yoga's going to be great for you as long as you're continually being challenged. It's awesome for consolidating strength in your core, and for encouraging lean muscle mass. It's not that you shouldn't be doing any other exercise (if you want definition you might still want to be walking, biking, running, whatever) and watching your weight, but frankly, there's a reason dedicated students of yoga tend to look amazing.

10. josty

josty Member

Albums:
    I would continue doing cardio every week, in addition to yoga.

11. audiilike

audiilike Member

Thanks! really appriciate all the feedback.

12. Guill

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've never tried bikram yoga which sounds like what you've tried with your sister. Over the last couple of years I've tried hatha, Iyengar, vinyasa, astanga (sp), and kundalini. My personal favorite is Iyengar with a little vinyasa incorporated in it. I think a big differnece on the level of work out is both dependant on the type of yoga and the teacher. Depending on how much yoga you've done I think it will be a good work out in the beginning and then will be less strenuous until you have the balance and flexibility to do harder poses. No matter the class or teacher it is possible to make whatever you're doing either easy or hard depending on your goals at the same time. The difference is whether you just exist in the pose to slightly less then your limit or work on pushing yourself and fill the pose with dynamic tension. I've gone to plenty of classes where some people come out having hardly worked and I'm drenched in sweat.

13. PerfectlySexy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I disagree. It definitely depends on the type of yoga. People report burning far more than 250 calories in bikram classes (500+):

On Common Ground - by Heather Molina: Calories Burned In Bikram.
    Bikram Yoga calories burned??
    https://yoga.com/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=17278&posts=10

However, I would also stress that weight loss should not be the goal, and was not the requested goal. audiilike requested definition and lean muscle mass which is where yoga can definitely help. Even if you don't lose weight, you'll look skinnier and more defined as fat is replaced with muscle. While doing yoga in addition to other cardio activity is preferable I definitely do bikram yoga in place of a cardio routine at the gym (though I bike and walk quite a bit as well).

14. D_Malcolm_MacPudd

D_Malcolm_MacPudd Account Disabled

i think yoga is more for your mental health. It loosens your body up, gets you ready for exercise, but i dont consider it a workout.

15. botticellisvenus

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Many yoga poses are such good stretches that they're used in physical therapy. Also, stretching and bending enable major blood vessels to remain malleable, including the biggest artery in the body, the descending aorta. If vascular disease runs in your family, yoga can help stave off a AAA (triple A) or abdominal aortic aneurysm. So, as you can see, yoga has many benefits.

16. D_Malcolm_MacPudd

D_Malcolm_MacPudd Account Disabled

yes but it is not a workout in my opinion. i do it about 5 times a week and hit the gym, its def not the same.

17. summoner

summoner Active Member

Albums:
    Your best bet is to try a few types of yoga and see which one has the best results for your body type and personality type. If you find out that a milder type of yoga suits you best, then I would suggest you stick with it and combine it with a mild cardio of your taste. That way you have best of both worlds in my opinion. After a while it becomes "symbiotic", one helps the other.

Still, this is my experience, and as they say "one mans poison is another ones medicine" (or smthng like that, lol)
    so you'll never now unless you try

Draft saved Draft deleted