Yolanda King dead at 51

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by naughty, May 16, 2007.

1. naughty

Gold Member

This morning I heard that Martin Luther King's eldest child Yolanda passed last night from unknown causes. There is speculation that she had a heart condition. This family has been fraught with such tragedy to the point that none of the children of Dr. King have ever married. My heart goes out to her remaining siblings and family.

2. Mr. Snakey

Gold Member

This is sad news. We will never see the likes of fine men like her father ever again.

3. DGirl

Gold Member

I wish I knew MORE about her.

4. naughty

Gold Member

She was an actress, D GIRL. I remember meeting her and Dexter at the National Black THeater Festival years ago when she was doing a play down there. I am shocked...

5. madame_zora

Gold Member

I am sad to say that I didn't know anything about her either, until I heard of her passing. I didn't realise none of his children had married, but I have a great deal of respect for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Not knowing a cause, I just hope her passing was peaceful.

6. YourAvgGuy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I met Ms. King at our university in 2003. She was the keynote for the Martin Luther King Celebration and kick-off ceremony. Ms. King was a very articulate, versatile and compassionate young lady. In her own way, she created her own legacy through the words and life she lead. I am certain Dr. King would have been proud of her as was her mother...

I thoroughly enjoyed her speech as well as meeting with her personally at the reception and banquet that followed. Trust me, there have only been a few people I have met who've been exposed to so much and can be so approachable. She was one of them. I was impressed.

7. agnslz

Gold Member

How truly untimely and sad, she was my mom's age! I remember her from when she came to help dedicate our local Martin Luther King memorial in the '90s. I remember parts of the speech she gave. She quoted words from her father and also added her own great words. It was truly an honor to have her here for that. May she rest in peace.

Draft saved Draft deleted