You are where you belong, Arlen.

Discussion in 'Politics' started by B_starinvestor, Apr 28, 2009.

1. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Many times people partner with those that share the same qualities, characteristics, objectives and integrity.

Arlen Specter is one of those people.

FYI:

"I am staying a Republican because I think I have an important role, a more important role, to play there. The United States very desperately needs a two-party system. That's the basis of politics in America. I'm afraid we are becoming a one-party system. I think as a governmental matter, it is very important to have a check and balance"

-Arlen Specter March 17, 2009.

Good riddance.

His principles fit in nicely with his new party. Self interest is the only interest. Principles are a non-issue.

Words mean nothing. Lie, twist, pander...anything to get a vote. And then turn your back on the very people that provided your ascent.

I'd rather the Dems had 95% of Congress, than have one worm like Arlen Specter in my camp.

Once again, good riddance.:wave:

Nice legacy. Bet the grandkids are proud.

2. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

You're losing more moderates to the other team, and you're saying "good riddance"?
    Seriously, how many more people need to leave your party before you actually understand why the Republican base is dissipating?

3. sargon20

Gold Member

Ahhh are our little feelings hurt? Keep up the good work!! Heckuva job star!!! No schoolyard name like you chanted when 'Colon Powell' endorsed Obama?

uhhh no............
    You might think, perhaps hope, that Republicans will engage in some soul-searching, that they’ll ask themselves whether and how they lost touch with the national mainstream. But my prediction is that this won’t happen any time soon.

Instead, the Republican rump, the party that’s left after the election, will be the party that attends Sarah Palin’s rallies, where crowds chant “Vote McCain, not Hussein!” It will be the party of Saxby Chambliss, the senator from Georgia, who, observing large-scale early voting by African-Americans, warns his supporters that “the other folks are voting.” It will be the party that harbors menacing fantasies about Barack Obama’s Marxist — or was that Islamic? — roots.

Why will the G.O.P. become more, not less, extreme? For one thing, projections suggest that this election will drive many of the remaining Republican moderates out of Congress, while leaving the hard right in place.

-Paul Krugman Nov 3, 2008

Note the date. It's all coming true. And this hard right is where star amoung many others live.

#3 sargon20, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  4. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    The splinterization of the republicans continues. In catering to the far right they further polarize the party and now isolate themselves from any moderating influences whatsoever. They'll be left with a tiny core base of the most rabid ideologues at this rate. You think this is a good thing, star? You're trying to stand on "principle" here? Don't be a fool.

5. B_starinvestor

Its like a popular local Democrat says, "We'll take anybody."

Indeed you will.

No need for integrity, principles or consistent conduct. Anyone with a heartbeat and a registration to vote...come on down.

You need a pack of cigarettes? No problem. Here. Now you're a Democrat.

When you have given up, lost ambition and abandoned your goals and dreams...the Democrats are there to embrace you.

And make sure your bills are paid.

6. B_starinvestor

Nick, what is your deal with bringing up the far right all the time lately? How many people do you know on the far right? How many people here on LPSG are on the far right?

As I've said before, inferring that the Republican party is dominated by the far right is exactly the same as inferring that the dem party is dominated by lazy, multi-generational welfare recipients.

Specter is a vote-whore. Nothing more, nothing less. If a Dem defected to the republican party to whore votes, I would kindly ask him/her to get the f*ck out and watch the door on his way.

If you can't figure out where you're at by the time you are 70..WTF?

One more reason why I can't stand politicians. Their morals end where their paycheck begins.

7. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Specter didn't change, his party did.

8. B_starinvestor

Since March 17th? How so?

9. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not since the 17th, no. But in an article from TheHill.com which I linked to in another thread (and with which you are obviously familiar), he is quoted as saying this:

Leaving aside the fact that he still considered himself a Republican and denied any party-switch (obviously subsequently reconsidered), his point of the GOP becoming a "regional party" shows that he understood how stiffening harder to the right has cost his party not just votes, but entire regions and demographics.

His positions haven't changed, but as the Republicans fall ever-harder into Palin/"Joe" the "Plumber" territory, where the organizers of national protests seemed oblivious to what "teabagging" actually meant, where there is no room in the platform for marriage equality for all Americans or any reasonable consideration of climate change and where Michelle Bachmann goes on record suggesting that there's some connection between Democratic presidents and Swine Flu outbreaks, I don't blame him for folding his napkin and crossing the aisle.

Yeah, the party's not a big tent anymore.

10. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

No... the change started way before that.
    It started before the 2008 Election.
    It started before 2006 when Democrats regained a small majority in Congress.
    It started before Bush II got into office.
    It even goes before Bush I.

Get the picture yet? Somewhere between Ford and right now, your party lost its focus and became a party that spoke of traditional values but didn't act anywhere in coherence to it. Everything you said about Arlen can be applied to most modern day conservatives.

11. rawbone8

Gold Member

Albums:
    He'd been targeted by the far right for the crime of heresy and they planned to contest his seat in the next primary. Avlon has an interesting analysis that is not very complimentary toward Specter, but it also criticizes the shift of power in the GOP and nails the issue of the right alienating the centrists within their party.

Specter's Shocking Defection - The Daily Beast

12. B_starinvestor

Yah, I got the picture. Specter make a rah-rah republican speech on March 17th, dipshit. That's why I asked what's changed since then.

Oh really? Somewhere between Ford and right now? Were you rolling at a rave for the first half of this decade when the repubs were the party of choice? How long does that ecstasy last anyway?

13. sargon20

Gold Member

Other than the 'Big Tent' on display at conventions were they ever the 'Big Tent'? If it weren't for the Deep South they would never have won a single presidential election since the 60's. The South went republican after the civil rights laws of the 60's were passed and hasn't looked back since.

14. Hotrocker

Hotrocker Well-Known Member

Albums:
    http://www.lpsg.org/131882-the-scourge-of-democratic-ideal.html

#14 Hotrocker, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  15. B_starinvestor

A couple points, Bbucko.

Many on this site love to fantasize about the Joe the Plumber and Sarah Palin movement. Its grossly inaccurate and incorrect. It is a liberal fantasy. Period. Great soundbite.

Marriage equality is a big deal to a tiny, far right fringe of the republican party. Its not even an issue in terms of losing members of the party.

Michelle Bachmann is a fucking publicity whore dipshit. No one listens to her - even in the republican party. She's embarrassing. You get that kind of shit in Minnesota, i.e., Jesse Venture, Al Franken, and so on.

16. B_starinvestor

echo?

17. sargon20

Gold Member

Huum did you miss the RNC Convention? Not too many libs in the audience.

Vice Presidential Candidate Gov. Sarah Palin (AK) Full Speech at the RNC

#17 sargon20, Apr 29, 2009
  18. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

Fuck you, star. For once, I tried to be nice and you call me a dipshit? Fine.

I'll just sit here and laugh at your sorry ass as I watch your ideals and dreams go down the toilet. You toot the rhetorical horn of the conservatives, and everyday your numbers get lower and lower. You don't even understand that everyone has figured out just how big of a hypocrite the GOP is. They talk about how the party welcomes all and loves everyone, yet do more and more to scare off those who aren't exactly like themselves.

That's why Colin Powell left.
    That's also why Arlen left.
    And it's probably why Steele wasn't invited to "tea bag". But I digress... :rolleyes:

This goes BEYOND the typical politics that everyone can see on the surface. When someone who has been a Republican for over 40+ years, elected 5 times to office as a Republican, and thinks he needs to become a Democrat in order to win? SOMETHING IS FUCKED UP WITHIN YOUR PARTY. And sadly (or laughingly, whichever you want to choose), you STILL can't see it.

Sorry bitchinvestor, I don't do drugs. I haven't even smoked weed. Even at a rave. I bet you can't claim that and you probably never been to a rave, now can you? :rolleyes:

And BTW, just to remind you AGAIN... I voted Republican in 1994. That's because there was at least ONE governor in Massachusetts that actually had a head on his shoulders, didn't just go along blindly with the GOP's tired moralistic rhetoric yet STILL maintained his party affiliation. Can you say that you EVER voted Democrat despite your preferred party affiliation? Once??!? That's something else you probably can't claim either, now can you? :rolleyes:

Perhaps if you had more Fords and Welds speaking for your party and not as many Limbaughs, Hannitys, Palins and Becks, people would take your sorry asses seriously. But go on and be a whiny bitch, too proud to admit that the GOP has lost its way and is losing people that could actually save them. I'll be waiting for 2010 when the GOP loses even more seats.

#18 B_VinylBoy, Apr 29, 2009
  19. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Read a couple of quotes that are being reported today surrounding the Arlen Specter defection:

Former congressman Tom Davis, a Virginia Republican: “The party has become more of a private club centered in the South and rural areas. It’s not a hospitable place at this point. Other moderate lawmakers look at this and wonder, ‘What are we doing here?’”

Arlen Specter: "As the Republican Party has moved farther and farther to the right, I have found myself increasingly at odds with the Republican philosophy and more in line with the philosophy of the Democratic Party....Social conservatives in the Republican Party have made no bones about their willingness to lose the general election if they can purify the party.... There ought to be a rebellion against them. There ought to be an uprising."

Moderate republican Olympia Snowe: "Many Republicans feel alienated and disaffected from the party.... Ultimately, we're heading to having the smallest political tent in history. If the Republican Party fully intends to become a majority party in the future, it must move from the far right back toward the middle."

Democratic senator John Kerry: "This is now officially a Republican Party where moderates need not apply."

--------------------

There are multiple signs that the republican party is shrinking. That they are pushing out both moderate lawmakers as well as moderate voters.

Instead of a bit of honest reflection on Specter's words that the party is moving further and further to the right, there was an e-mail circulating today on Capitol Hill among republican congressmen.

The e-mail circulating read "Swine Flew".

#19 D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse, Apr 29, 2009
  20. sargon20

Gold Member

Centrism Is for Suckers

Draft saved Draft deleted