You banned Flashy? Seriously?

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
A 7 day ban isn't much. I'm sure many feel the site should be a free for all, but it just isn't. His ban fits in with numerous other decisions that have been made along the same lines. So I wouldn't class it as controversial.

But it'll be great to have him back. Awesome member.

D_Andreas Sukov

Account Disabled
Media
Considering how fast and furious you get attacked in the Political Forum if you are out of step with the left I'm not surprised Flashy had enough and posted in the fashion he did.

That said, I don't see that that one post was enough for a ban so there must be more....
What about us that are farther left than the "left"? :biggrin1:

Lemon...in about 20 years you will be a diehard conservative so....you're OK by me.
Didn't Churchill say 'If you're not a liberal when you're young, you have no heart; and if you're not conservative when you're older, you have no brain'? :tongue:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's a cliché rhetorical truism that's often misattributed to Churchill. The fact that WC was a conservative in his early political career before crossing the aisle to join with the liberal party makes it seem rather unlikely that he would make such a remark.

It's a cliché rhetorical truism that's often misattributed to Churchill. The fact that WC was a conservative in his early political career before crossing the aisle to join with the liberal party makes it seem rather unlikely that he would make such a remark.
He crossed back again remember? Before WW2. :wink:

D

deleted3782

Exactement.
And there's no mystery.
I don't [see?] why people don't get it either.

I get it. They don't like the decision. That's fair enough.

There are other models for internet forums like LPSG. One could, for example, start a forum with no moderation, where the posters would theoretically self govern and keep ad hominem attacks to a minimum. Maybe that's been tried elsewhere.

On the other end of the spectrum, one could create an invitation-only site that carefully controls who are members and limits or bans those its admins don't find worthy of the site. Maybe that's been tried elsewhere.

This site attempts to cut the difference. If folks want to be members of a wild-west forum that attacks the individual instead of the idea...so be it. If folks want to settle behind a secret password and associate with their own clique...so be it. LPSG gives a broad range of people a chance to play and exchange ideas and interests fairly. If they decide to reduce an argument to name calling, they might need some time out. If name-calling and personal attacks are your thing, this evidently is not the place to do it. LPSG can't be all things to all people, but the internet votes with its feet and this place has been around for a long time.

Focus on the issue, folks. Name calling is the function of those who perhaps hold a great deal of passion, but not much substance. We can do better in our discussions and debates.

D_Gunther Snotpole

Account Disabled
Media
Didn't Churchill say 'If you're not a liberal when you're young, you have no heart; and if you're not conservative when you're older, you have no brain'? :tongue:

I think the basic quote comes from the 19th Century French statesman Francois Guizot: "Not to be a republican at 20 is proof of want of heart; to be one at 30 is proof of want of head."

But, reworked so the polar opposites are Liberalism and Conservatism, it's been attributed to Churchill, GBS, Disraeli, Lloyd George -- and a lot of other peeps.

To exwhyzee: I won't pick out any one thing, but excellent post.

Last edited:

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Focus on the issue, folks. Name calling is the function of those who perhaps hold a great deal of passion, but not much substance. We can do better in our discussions and debates.
While I don't disagree with the general sentiment, your platitude rather insultingly insinuates that Flashy's posts lacked any substance and consisted entirely of name-calling. Nothing could be further from the truth.

D

deleted3782

Your platitude rather insultingly insinuates that Flashy's posts lacked any substance and consisted entirely of name-calling. Nothing could be further from the truth.

The one cited by hhuck did. A vast majority did not.