You dirty homophones!

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
I'm a little heartbroken that I wasn't invited. :(
Me neither. They's probly askeered a us.

Neither was I--at least, I don't remember being invited. I think I just happened upon it and signed up.
Of course you did. You're probably the president.

BTW, Silvertrain belongs on that list for sure. Maybe he's the president.

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
Eye dew* knot like you're righting.

*I know this is not a homophone with "do" in all varieties of English, but neither is "whey" with "way."
Oh deer lord. Please tell me your knot one of those aspirant 'h' pronouncers. As if you were'nt fussy enough. :rolleyes:

Wear due ewe cum up with this stuff? To much idol thyme.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh deer lord. Please tell me your knot one of those aspirant 'h' pronouncers. As if you were'nt fussy enough. :rolleyes:

In Artford, Ereford, and Ampstead, urricanes ardly ever appen.

I was making a simple statement of fact: as "dew" is not homophonous with "do" in all varieties of English, so is "whey" not homophonous with "way" in all varieties of English. Neither pair is homophonous in Irish English, for instance.

Last edited:

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
In Artford, Ereford, and Ampstead, urricanes ardly ever appen.
I've seen you down in Soho Square, dropping 'h's everywhere. And I think it's "Ampshire".

I was making a simple statement of fact: as "dew" is not homophonous with "do" in all varieties of English, so is "whey" not homophonous with "way" in all varieties of English. Neither pair is homophonous in Irish English, for instance.
Well it may be factual, whether it's simple depends on your audience, I suppose.
Certainly not the LPSG masses (and 'ardly anyone under 35 it seems).

It's decided. I declare you President for Life of the Bad Grammer Society, weather/whether you like it or knot.

Last edited:

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And I think it's "Ampshire".

That does make better sense. I didn't look the passage up.

Well it may be factual, whether it's simple depends on your audience, I suppose.
Certainly not the LPSG masses (and 'ardly anyone under 35 it seems).

Well, "simple" in the sense of not having any prescription mixed into the description.

It's decided. I declare you President for Life of the Bad Grammer Society, weather/whether you like it or knot.

Great! How much does the job pay? (A slight modification of Chico's reply to Groucho's comment, "Do you want to be a public nuisance?")

maxcok

Expert Member
Media
That does make better sense. I didn't look the passage up.
Neither did I, but I was born in a theatre trunk.

Well, "simple" in the sense of not having any prescription mixed into the description.
:confused: Are you off your meds?

Great! How much does the job pay?
I'm afraid their's no monetary remuneration, but yule be paid in unlimited self-satisfaction and semantic snob appeal. We, you're humble subjects, will obeis ourselves before your most impressive literary prowesses.

sexualnapalm

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Last edited:

tgirlsrgreat

LPSG Legend
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
BTW, I think that Cal, Maxcok, Nudey, Hhuck, Bbucko, and ManlyBanisters and I may be the only people on the board, perhaps in the whole fucking world, who give a shit one way or the other about this particular subject.
now hold on there sparky:nono:

molotovmuffin

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Two expressions are homophones just in case they are distinct in derivation but identical in pronunciation. Pronouns and contractions present many homophone pairs, such as "its" and "it's," "who's" and "whose," "your" and "you're," and "there" and "their," all of which are subject to frequent confusion. What are more notable are homophones that give rise to substantive misunderstanding--not mere confusions of spelling or punctuation but a failure to understand the words that one is using.

May I add a pear to your pair? Oh never mind...I'm such a towhead:eek: