You dirty homophones!

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Well, to my American ear, it sounds a bit rustic if anything unusual at all. Would it seem any different if I had said "a hundred and some-odd years"? I assure you that the latter phrase is of widespread and long-established use.

That would sound weird, because "some-odd" in this context is - to me, at least - a tautology.

Talking of Grand Prix, you should try watching one with very excitable commentary in Chinese. :eek:
Lol! I can imagine.

Missed today's. :frown1: Too busy lobbying Bernie & David Richards for a Welsh GP.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
In another thread, Kenny233 offers another example: "That peaked my interest." The phrase is "to pique someone's interest." I am not sure what people who write "peak" in that context think that the phrase means, but the verb "to pique" comes from a French verb meaning "to prick" or "to pinch," which is also the source of the word "piquant."

sexualnapalm

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
In another thread, Kenny233 offers another example: "That peaked my interest." The phrase is "to pique someone's interest." I am not sure what people who write "peak" in that context think that the phrase means, but the verb "to pique" comes from a French verb meaning "to prick" or "to pinch," which is also the source of the word "piquant."

Thank you Cal, I love that one.

I have a friend who types All instead of I'll. It's not a homophone, technically, but it drives me bat shit crazy!!!!

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thank you Cal, I love that one.

I have a friend who types All instead of I'll. It's not a homophone, technically, but it drives me bat shit crazy!!!!

Maybe it's a homophone for him! Homophony is, after all, variable between accents.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

The same case can be made for clique and click; I see the latter batted about all too frequently. I don't have the heart to correct her, but my sister always ends her e-mails to me with "chow" :redface: