You <heart> Barry Manilow?

D

deleted3782

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ursTBD0sZ0Bob Dylan is said to have once told Barry Manilow "Don't stop what you're doing, man. We're all inspired by you."

For others, there remains a stigma on his personality and work, captured (then discredited) in this clip from "Family Guy."

Some of his most popular songs have now passed the 30-year mark...and perhaps a bit of nostalgia could be tempering Manilow's popularity.

So where do you stand? If we were to raid your album collection, CD collection, or ipod, would we discover a few Manilow tunes? Do you have a favorite? Or...do you dislike his music and everything he represents?

I would spend a few weeks each summer in Pittsburgh with family friends who introduced me to Manilow (I think they even gave me his album "Even Now"). I will admit to knowing most of the words to songs on that album, but never would have admitted it to friends at the time. If I were to pick a favorite, I'd say it is Ready to Take a Chance Again, the opening song of Foul Play, a film dripping in classic 1970s goodness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=526538#cite_note-2

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm a Fanilow! As a child of the 70's who loved schlocky TV and the commercials it's kinda hard not to love one of the greatest jingle writers ever. :cool: :smile:

All his songs are the same! They're all stupid ballads that start out slow then build to some lame drum solo and then the same words sung with MORE FEELING and more background singers and more/louder instruments. The only song I care for, and then only for camp purposes, is Copacabana.

Mickactual

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
He put out a string of songs in the 70's that were very well written and produced, and for that I admire him. But he's been milking it of late...tho no more or less so than any number of others who've long since blown their musical wad. Personally I'd respect him more if he'd just come out of the closet already.

prince_will

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
He's a guilty pleasure for me. kind of like Britney Spears. I don't openly love their songs. lol.

Can't Smile Without You is one of my favorite songs to put on when i'm in a crappy mood. It's just so exuberant! and Mandy is pretty much a classic. Plus, i just remembered Weekend in New England from an old Friends episode. It's comfort food for the ears. It may lack in substance, but who cares when you surrender to it?

Looks Like We Made It looks as if it aged into prime cheese though.