You MUST be on your period!!

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by ManlyBanisters, Aug 29, 2008.

1. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

I have never understood why men (and some women) so often use 'you must be having your period' as an insult or attempt to undermine a woman's argument / opinion / gripe / bitch / whinge.

Thing is I'm JUST as capable of being angry, irrational and argumentative when I'm not on my period as when I am. :biggrin: Why can't people recognise that? :rolleyes:

It doesn't annoy me anymore (it did til I was about 25 or 26) but I'm still curious about it.

Men - do you do this? Do you say it when you don't mean it or only when you actually believe it? Is it to piss the woman off?

Women - do you ever say this? Do you say it to piss the other woman off?

(Note: This was said to me in a blog comment yesterday and I just thought it was the weakest argument I've even seen here - I was going to post it in Women's Issues but then figured it isn't actually a women's issue it is more a men's issue, IME, or an interpersonal conflict thing - hence Relationships...)

2. cockoloco

Gold Member

Albums:
    No, I have never said it. I grew up with my mother, my sister and my grandmother and I understood that they could be bitchy just anytime. LOL

3. nicenycdick

Gold Member

Albums:
    There are times when my wife is just roaming the house with steam coming out of her ears...there is no chance of a having a rational discussion with her or in any way predicting how she will reacte to anything I do or say. When I was first married, I used to be perplexed by this behaviour. Then I noticed that my two daughters did the same thing...at the same times! I NEVER verbally expressed my belief that such behaviour was due to that time of the month...it would have been, at the least, impolitic, and, at the worst, fatal. But I knew...and they knew!

It is not a stretch that men, when faced with a woman doing or saying anything that seems beyond male comprehension, blame it all on menstruation. Otherwise, we'd have to blame ourselves...a horrible thought! God forbid that we men ever consider that the woman may be right and that we are just being selfish, blind and in denial!

This is why it happens. Wise men resist the urge to verbalize their assessment. But we think it...oh, yes we do!

4. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

LOL, I do it sometimes, but as a joke. It's harmless and funny if you see the ladies their faces :tongue:

5. got_lost

Gold Member

:lmao:

I've never said it to another woman.
    I don't think my husband has ever said it to me, though I am sure, as nice(read lovely)nycdick, he has thought it!

I used to work in a very male environment and I am pretty sure they thought it AND verbalised it! :rolleyes:

The stupid thing is, though it happens very very rarely, I can find myself sooooooo angry and frustrated and then just think to myself 'Oh, you must be due on!' :biggrin1:

6. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I've never said this to a woman...
    But to a slew of queeny friends of mine, that's a different story. :biggrin:

7. Viking_UK

Gold Member

I know better than to say that, having grown up with sisters. I can't think of any sentence more likely to guarantee a woman going off on one, whether she is or not.

8. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    Old School me

I always thought it was an Ultimate 'put down' towards Women

So i never and would never use the term
    (but then again i do accept it being said .. in a jock'ular way' .. providing the Women in Question sees it that way)
    enz

9. D_Jared Padalicki

D_Jared Padalicki Account Disabled

Okey, now I sound bad because I do that sometimes as a joke...:frown1:

10. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I've said it before...
    I grew up with a lot of sisters, so I know that there is some truth to it...
    Since I have matured (somewhat) I no longer verbalize it...:cool:

11. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    Naaaaaaaahh Pieter perhaps it could be Viewed as your Generations way/reason of imentioning it.
    enz

12. Captain Elephant

Captain Elephant Active Member

Albums:
    No way! My wife may say it, but I always watch my mouth about such matters. I even have to be careful talking about "blondes." I made a reference to her daughter the other day who is so blonde she's almost clear, and I realized that the generalization was not well received.

So I figured it would be better for everyone in my household if I just shut the fuck up.

13. cockoloco

Gold Member

Albums:
    LMAO!:biggrin1:

14. ManlyBanisters

Gold Member

Hmm, I guess it was just MY ex's, huh? :rolleyes:

At least I have a reasonable sample showing that guys know full well the potential impact.

So, do you all consider your female partners (youselves if you are a woman) more prone to conflict at that time of the month? Or is it a different type of conflict?

15. Xcuze

Gold Member

I dont recall ever saying that to a woman. I grew up with older sisters too. It would just be too obvious! But I can understand PJ saying it as a joke.

16. cockoloco

Gold Member

Albums:
    It was just your ex who said it, but many, many, many people think it.

I don't know if more prone to conflict or less tolerant, can't say really. But for the purposes of the conversation, yes there is a difference.

17. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Manly, dear Manly, there's no need to excuse your behavior, we all know that they gave you the wrong meds at the nuthouse!:tongue:

18. rbkwp

Gold Member

Albums:
    So, do you all consider your female partners (youselves if you are a woman) more prone to conflict at that time of the month? Or is it a different type of conflict?

WHEN i lived with a Lady and her Kids for 4 years MB

I KNEW a few days before/During-of Course/and a few days after..that she was much more prone to being rather Volatile..so believe me
    i tread VERY Carefully .. ha' TRUE
    --its just the way it is .. i geuss
    enz

19. D_Tintagel_Demondong

I grew up in a household where all of the females had horrible PMS. They could all cramp badly, and get very moody. I didn't mess with any of them while they were "on the rag."

To this day, I have a lot of sympathy for women during their period. My mother says that menopause was one of the best things that ever happened to her. My moral: a woman's period is not something that I take lightly.

20. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I've known gay men who are always bitchy and they don't have periods. They're very very snooty and particular, and hate sounding so stereotyped.

Bitch.

Draft saved Draft deleted