"You tell a lie enough times..."

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by D_dollar a week, Nov 10, 2008.

1. D_dollar a week

D_dollar a week New Member

"...the whole world will believe it."

Ain't that the truth.

Thought some of you might find this interesting. :smile:

2. Gl3nn

Gold Member

Very true.

State seperated from religion...yeah right

3. D_Tintagel_Demondong

4. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

ah, the wonderful effect that 'faith' has upon humanity...

Give up a belief in God... and you give up all rationale for this kind of evil.

If these people were not waving a bible.... how would they be seen?

As racists, bigots, and hate filled assholes... that's how.

Religion is the greatest source of evil in the world today.

5. D_Tintagel_Demondong

Cheers, mate.

Nothing has caused more death or destruction.

Join us Freethinkers :smile:

6. Gl3nn

Gold Member

Ooh, I like that view rec. Freethinkers...

7. D_Portelay Porquesword

Then again, the hate these people perpetuate have no foundation in any teachings Christian and otherwise. "Judge not lest ye be judged". Even in Zen the teachings are something along these lines : Non attachment, non resistance and non judgment.

Attachment to form and or content of the ego is not only limiting, it diminishes the essence of your being, which has nothing to do with any of this.

Maybe they are pissed off because "faggots" are also a vital aspect of life, one they cannot accept which is the source of the problem itself. Non acceptance of truth, or what is.

#7 D_Portelay Porquesword, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  8. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Here's the problem...folks look up the shit Jesus says in the BIBLE...

And the bible says a LOT of shit.... it says, for example, that anyone who eats shrimp should be killed.

And- BTW Jesus says of the old testament that EVERY JOT AND TITTLE of the old law MUST be observed.

So much for Jesus...

But not all the horror in in the Old testament.

Fact is modern Christianity is NOT predicated on the teachings of Jesus, but on the teachings of Paul.
    Jesus said he was the son of man, NOT the son of god... Paul said he was the don of god...

And there is PLENTY of horror in the writing of Paul to support a LOT of very evil actions.

As to free thinking... I have striven to be such all my adult life...
    Gave up God at the age of 10. Four years after giving up Santa ( and I got a fuck lot more outta belief in Santa than I ever did outta belief in god.)

The armies of Japanese assholes raping Nanking were all zen buddhists and Shintoists...

ANY belief of absolute certainty in one's OWN moral unassailability leads to evil.

Whether the moral absolutism of republicans, or religions...
    It is simply far too easy to subvert belief into zealotry.

And zealotry is madness.

And zealotry begets hatred, intolerance and murder.

9. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Phil, when Jesus was asked if He was the Messiah, he did affirm it.

A lot of evil is done in the name of religion. A lot of evil is done without it. Look at Lenin, Stalin, Mao, and of course Hitler. It is within the heart of every human to do evil. Doing good is a choice we all have to make within ourselves.

10. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I been saying that. If people are so sure that their beliefs are the right ones why don't they let their children grow up and make their own informed decisions instead of forcing their beliefs on their kids?

Nice wiki.

11. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

What is interesting about it? Pinpointing a small contingency on one side of the political aisle and attempting to characterize the entire party in the same ilk?

Would you like to play that game? Do you have any idea how I could work this angle?

Check mate.

Howsabout you introduce a practical idea that doesn't exploit a small political subgroup?

12. D_dollar a week

Way to overreact, buddy. :rolleyes:

13. D_Portelay Porquesword

:smile:

14. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

19 out of 20 posts attacking the conservative side of the aisle gets to be a little much.

No offense.:smile:

15. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

Great link! I actually spent time clicking all of the related videos as well.

My whole life I heard "the bible says..." as an answer to everything, so I understand how these people act in faith, even if it defies reason, or, is in some respects antithetical to JesusÂ’ teachings. I think they just need some world experience beyond the bible and to introduce diversity in their lives, to combat the narrow mindedness and hate.

Pretty much when talking to my family now my standard response is:
    "Yes, yes, we're a christian nation, the bible "says" this, the bible "says" that, and meanwhile 50+% of the U.S. cannot identify Genesis as the first book." My aunt loves that. :biggrin1:

+1
    One of my favorite authors, Susan Jacoby, wrote a book titled Freethinkers, that you might enjoy. I'm already a secularist, but it is a great read. :smile:

16. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

No hootie- he did not.

He was asked exactly twice... Both times he replied that he was the son of man.

Period.

If your bible says different... then its been re-written... look at an original Catholic version... the guys who published the thing.

Those who want to defend a delusion always trot out the despots...

But its a lie.

In fact, Hitler was catholic. and the Pope NEVER denounced him, nor excommunicated him for the anti-jewish actions he took leading up to the war... he relocated them, took their property, ans exhorted the German people to violanece agasint them... and that was just fine with the pope.

Hitler's hatred of the jews was BORN in Christian preaching and christian anti-semitism.
    And Christian Europe turned a blind eye to his "final solution" right up till the day Eisenhower liberated the death camps.

As to Mao and Stalin... the biggest mistake made by folks indicting them for being godless is that totalitarianism is NOT godless... IT simply replaces the image of God with the image of the despot.

Look around Maoist China or Stalinist Russia and you will see statuary, pictures and altars... all set up to the glorification of the supreme leader....
    Despots co-opt people's natural tendency to want an all powerful daddy figure to make themselves the daddy.

They eschew "other religions" because they don't want any other gods before them.

So, sorry... fanatical dogma is the hallmark of religion-

And control of the masses is it aim.

Only religion can defend the killing of abortion doctors and the flying of planes into buildings.

Only religion can incite a people to kill their neighbors as in Rwanda and Bosnia.

Certainly... you can be evil and NOT be religious.

But truly evil people are rare.

Why religion is worse is because only religion can get otherwise good people to do evil.

Only religion can convince good people that murdering people is God's work.

The jews were nearly annihilated BECAUSE they were Jews... no other reason.
    Osama Attacked America BECAUSE we are infidels... no other reason.

And those fucks who tied a gay man to a barbed wire fence had heard in church that God said homosexuality was an abomination punishable by death.

There is NO morality in Church... no goodness in the bible.

Jesus won't really teach you to treat other people with compassion...
    'Cause jesus says that only Christians really count.

#16 Phil Ayesho, Nov 10, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  17. D_dollar a week

Oh, none taken. You're entitled to your views, and I, mine; in fact, I respect your backbone.

However, you "called" me out... I'm merely the messenger, friend. (You may bear arms, just please don't use them on me. :rolleyes:)

18. Axcess

Gold Member

According to the Bible the priests of Judaism religion asked Jesus if he was the Son of God and he says yes . He was condemmed to death because blasphemy . Just in case I don't believe in the Bible but just saying .
    Actually I don't agree that truly evil people are rare . Infact I think the opposite , that truly good people are rare. According to the Bible Jesus teached compassion to all people even your enemies. However I agree with the rest of your post.

#18 Axcess, Nov 11, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  19. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

But what would it prove even if he did 'affirm' it?

There are murderers who, if you ask them if they murdered anyone, will deny it forever.

There are also mentally deranged people who believe they are the reincarnation of Christ, The Devil and other religious/supernatural figures.

There are also other Messaianic figures besides Jesus.

To me, even if Jesus did affirm it it doesn't change the fact that the entire Bible is contradictory and ludicrous. I also cannot seriously believe in a religion which is nowhere near being the first. The first religion/belief system was thought up thousands of years before Christ supposedly showed up.

If anything, that one must be "true" and surely everything else is either ripping it off or just plain made up too. Or is every religion actually truthful? I don't think so.

20. D_Bob_Crotchitch

D_Bob_Crotchitch New Member

Phil rea John 4 where Jesus tells He is the Messiah. Then read John 10. You are one of the most hate filled people I've ever encountered on this board. Could your hatred come from your resentment and anger at the religion where your parents raised you?

Draft saved Draft deleted