You weird Yanks :-)

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
You are much more brave than I am. If I try something like tripe once and don't like, it I am NEVER eating it again. Then again if you cover most anything in a fancy French sauce it will be palatable. :biggrin1:

Who said I had a choice! Trust me - when you are sitting at Jean-Yves' kitchen table you eat what Jean-Yves serves and you fucking smile :biggrin1: - but it was good.

Pickled pig's feet and beef tongue. (I'm not kidding! They eat 'em over there!)

Mmmmm - trotters!! Yes - I love 'em! and tongue is an excellent meat. I used to have tongue sandwiches in my school luch box regularly. It was cheap in Ireland - it is a delicacy here in France - they do some crazy shit with it - all good.

Tete de Veau is the weird one - a calf's head:
Once cool, the meat is sliced into thick pieces and then warmed in the broth as it is ordered, and served, to meet [the chef]’s personal taste, with a piece of calf’s brain on top and a mustardy ‘sauce ravigote’. One head will yield eight to ten portions

I have eaten it here - and it is good - just a bit elaborate - I can't really imagine cooking it at home. But, as I say - the dish is tasty. Not for everyone tho'.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Im hearing that in England you eat Curry Goat and if you double park your Camel there is a stiff fine to pay. Is this true?:wink:

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Well here we have some of our own food terms and traditions that may still seem odd in other parts of the world, though tourism and the spread of Louisiana cooking and cuisine has increased moreso over the past decade.

So now one might find a crawfish (crayfish) platter up north somewhere, or maybe even file (FEE lay) gumbo. There are also other dishes like soft-shelled crab po-boy (a po-boy is like a subway), where the crab is breaded, fried, and placed on the sandwich shell and all; sausages like andouille and boudin ("Creole sausage made of pork, livers, and rice); frog legs and the like.

Even I haven't gotten around to trying all of it yet.

Louisiana's Living Traditions: Food Traditions

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Pickled pig's feet and beef tongue. (I'm not kidding! They eat 'em over there!)

They eat them in the US too. My parents used to eat pickled pig's feet all the time. I thought it was disgusting, and they pressured me to try it. Finally I did, just to shut them up. It was just as disgusting as I thought it'd be.

whatireallywant

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Im hearing that in England you eat Curry Goat and if you double park your Camel there is a stiff fine to pay. Is this true?:wink:

Curry goat sounds good actually. I've eaten goat before, and I love curry.

Goat meat is used a lot in West African and Caribbean cuisine. I've ordered it at Nigerian and Jamaican restaurants.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
People eat pickled trotters in the US, my great aunt was fond of them, she also used to make oxtail soup. When my Granny boiled a calf tongue, I had to stay out of the kitchen, I never tried it, it smelled so bad.

Blood sausage is usually called blutwurst, so people don't know what it is. (reminded of the quote attributed to von Bismarck, 'sausage and politics, better to not know what goes into them')

Reindeer sausage is made commercially here in Alaska.

I remember a British ad a few years ago, Peake-Friens company claimed 'our faggots have more brains'.

Y'all like to confuse us by calling cookies bisquits and bisquits scones.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
ooh fried bread did taste lovely.

When I was a kid I loved tongue, I didn't think it was actually tongue I just thought it was CALLED tongue.

Over here we have biscuits which we all know are called cookies in the USA, the round come in a packet type typefied by oreos, and chocolate chip cookies, but what do you call biscuits like penguins or club biscuits - individually wrapped, thickly coated with chocolate, a bit more expensive and usually 5 or 6 in a packet.

Incidentally jaffa cakes are cakes not biscuits :)

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
biscuits like penguins or club biscuits - individually wrapped, thickly coated with chocolate, a bit more expensive and usually 5 or 6 in a packet.

Incidentally jaffa cakes are cakes not biscuits :)

Club biscuits (I liked the raisin ones best) were so easy to unwrap, eat and then 're-wrap'. Penguins were more of a challenge but not an insurmountable one.

I learned the concept of plausible deniability on club biscuits.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Wow, I can't believe no one has mentioned two of my fave foods.

Fluffer-Nutter Sandwiches on white bread - Creamy peanut butter should be used for this.

Nutella on a waffle - Don't waste your time making belgian waffles! Just use Aunt Jemima frozen waffles. :smile:

Now that there is good eating! :smile:

modernluv

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
when talking to people from the USA there are quite a few food items you have that sound absolutely disgusting to me, chimmychungas (if that's how it's spelled), tater tots, grits, chitlings - what do we in the uk eat that you think sounds foul. We have our popcorn with sugar on, peanut butter with jam makes me feel pukey, what do we eat that's vomit inducing in your eyes?

Hey chimmichangas are tasty! And nobody doesn't like tater tots. Not sure about grits, never had them, I think they're mainly in the south. I should say there are some great foods I think (could be wrong) are uniquely American, including deep dish pizza, fish tacos, bagels w/cream cheese, and now I'm going to shut up because I'm making myself hungry and I'm not eating any of those things for dinner. :mad: Oh and I live in the LA area and supposedly we have better Mexican food than Mexico and better Chinese food than China, so, umm, that's good.

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I like clotted cream. It is something that they just don't make here in the states. It's great with jam.

There was that cooking show here from Britain that was hillarious. It was called - Two Fat Ladies. I saw the episode where they made "bubble and squeak" All their food seemed so unhealthy though - lots-o-butter or lard.

camper joe

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well some of these foods I have never heard of before, strange what some people eat. As for me I love peanut butter and jelly sandwich's.
I prefer grape jelly but in a pinch will settle for apple jelly.

agnslz

Loved Member
Media
Chimichangas are heavenly! I eat beef tongue and tripe all the time. Tripe is called menudo in Spanish and it is my favorite with posole (hominy). Oxtail stew will forever remind me of my grampa (he made the best) and I love it!