Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The food itself isn't too exotic or weird, the only real exception perhaps being haggis.

The phrase "English cooking" is here in the US a byword for brutality, particularly the horrible fate inflicted on boiled vegetables. I know it's not so bad, actually; I never had any problem with the food in England. Except for that haggis business.
We English accept no responsibility for haggis,the blame rests entirely on Scotland.
Why do you think the Romans built Hadrian's Wall ? :smile:

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Love-it

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dad was in England for the D-Day build-up, he will never eat mutton again.

I have heard that most meat is boiled in England, yuck, and that they eat a lot of organ meats, including lungs.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Dad was in England for the D-Day build-up, he will never eat mutton again.

I have heard that most meat is boiled in England, yuck, and that they eat a lot of organ meats, including lungs.

My arse is meat boiled!! The French believe that of the English too. It just is not true. Good food in England (and Scotland and Wales and my own Ireland) is very easy to come by, extremely diverse and as good as anywhere on the planet (outside Aisa - who kick everybody's culinary ass, if you ask me).

Boiled meat? Ha - an English roast is the best roast on the planet! (said grudgingly but truthfully)

As for offal - see my previous posts - I love offal - Why is eating an animal's flesh any better than eating its heart, liver, kidney - as long as it is all clean and properly butchered, it's all good. To quote Homer Simpson:
Mmmmm, hog anus!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Fajitas vs Chimichanga, I'd stick with the Fajitas.

Chicken Chimmichanga

If you really must, enchiladas are the way to go in my opinion, especially the chicken version:

Simply Recipes: Enchiladas Recipe
Simply Recipes: Mom's Chicken Enchiladas Recipe

I love Chicken Enchiladas! I once made a batch of really wicked good ground turkey enchiladas but haven't been able to duplicate the recipe. :redface:

Boiled meat? Ha - an English roast is the best roast on the planet! (said grudgingly but truthfully)

As for offal - see my previous posts - I love offal - Why is eating an animal's flesh any better than eating its heart, liver, kidney - as long as it is all clean and properly butchered, it's all good. To quote Homer Simpson:
Mmmmm, hog anus!

I'm not eating anything called offal nor am I wearing anything called a dread on my head.

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What about apple butter? Is that an American food? I know it's good wherever it's from. I think it is mostly America that has steamed crabs with old bay seasoning and it is a Maryland thing mostly but I'm sure some other places in America use it as well, because that is like the best way to make them. I couldn't stand pickled pigs feet when I tried them. It was almost like I was eating sour grissle. Tator tots and PB&J are both good. What about S'mores? they are good too but I'm not sure if they are considered American or not.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What about apple butter? Is that an American food? I know it's good wherever it's from. I think it is mostly America that has steamed crabs with old bay seasoning and it is a Maryland thing mostly but I'm sure some other places in America use it as well, because that is like the best way to make them. I couldn't stand pickled pigs feet when I tried them. It was almost like I was eating sour grissle. Tator tots and PB&J are both good. What about S'mores? they are good too but I'm not sure if they are considered American or not.

I may be wrong but I think everything you mentioned is of American origin. S'mores are definetely American! :biggrin1:

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My arse is meat boiled!! The French believe that of the English too. It just is not true. Good food in England (and Scotland and Wales and my own Ireland) is very easy to come by, extremely diverse and as good as anywhere on the planet (outside Aisa - who kick everybody's culinary ass, if you ask me).

Mmmmm, hog anus!

Eating the entire animal is how eskimo's have thrived where europeans, who ate just the meat, died of malnutrition.

ganja4me

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Some more foods that I think may be of American origin:

BLT
Cheesesteak
Crab Cake
Deviled Eggs
Dirty rice
Doughnuts
Pork Rinds
Onion Rings
Macaroni and Cheese
Sausage and Gravy (Shit on a Shingle)
Sloppy Joe's
JellO
Corn Dog
Meatloaf
Creamed Corn
Buffalo Wings

That's all I can think of. I'm not sure if they all are of American origin but it seems like they might be.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
when talking to people from the USA there are quite a few food items you have that sound absolutely disgusting to me, chimmychungas (if that's how it's spelled), tater tots, grits, chitlings - what do we in the uk eat that you think sounds foul. We have our popcorn with sugar on, peanut butter with jam makes me feel pukey, what do we eat that's vomit inducing in your eyes?
Chimichanga is pretty much just a burrito, deep-fried. I prefer the burrito. Tater tots are fried potatoes - bite-sized pieces of shredded, formed, and fried potatoes (similar to our hash browns). They are delicious, but probably not so good for you. As mentioned before, grits is made from hominy corn, and is like a very bland porridge.

Anything with lungs or kidneys sounds absolutely disgusting to me, as does blood pudding. Yorkshire pudding, while I'm sure it's tasty, seems disgusting to me if made in the traditional manner. I gagged the first time I tasted mincemeat. Trotter, tripe, and brawn also go in this group.

I do like herrings/kippers, as well as eel, or at least the eel I've eaten (unagi sushi). There's not much difference between eel and any other fish, except the shape. Bubble & squeak sounds pretty tasty, and I've made my own version of that many times over the years. And there's very little that compares to a good plate of fish & chips, lightly sprinkled with malt vinegar.

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I could eat a sunday roast with beef, roast potatoes, three veg, gravy and yorkshire puddings till it came out of my ears, it's like an oral orgasm.

I really can't think of one meat we boil, there's some war time song about boiled beef and carrots and maybe it's something we ate in the past.

I'm not big on organ meats or anything icky looking, although I can manage a bit of very nicely cooked liver.

yngjock20

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Bangers and mash...gross.

Blood Pudding...ick!

Mincemeat...WTF!?!

Yeah, I'd be sending over my own food for weeks if I ever moved to the UK.

Also, Vegimite is stupid gross...even though it's not a UK thing.

Chimichangas (Or chimichaaangas as Mr. Focker would say) are kinda gross too. I have enjoyed them on the odd occasion.