You weird Yanks :-)

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh I've done that NS, when I was a kid I had strange eating habits so while the rest of the family tucked into sunday roast I was eating yorkshire pudding with lemon and sugar and frozen peas - which had to be birdseye ones. I also used to throw a fit when someone tried to feed me the round half of sliced bread (the side that was uppermost when it was cooked). Thank god I grew out of my food obsessions and now I eat most things apart from icky things as I've mentioned before.

kalipygian

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I could eat a sunday roast with beef, roast potatoes, three veg, gravy and yorkshire puddings till it came out of my ears, it's like an oral orgasm.

I really can't think of one meat we boil, there's some war time song about boiled beef and carrots and maybe it's something we ate in the past.

I'm not big on organ meats or anything icky looking, although I can manage a bit of very nicely cooked liver.

Meat that was preserved by salting in a barrel required soaking to remove some of the salt, cooking everything in a great big pot, stew style, was the most convenient way, in a military campaign.
Perhaps in WWII europeans thought K rations were what Americans ate at home, some Afgani's or Iraqi's might suppose the same about MRE's today.

SteveHd

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
What about apple butter? Is that an American food? ....
My guess: no.

As I recall apples aren't native to America. They were introduced by Europeans. Something that I know definitely isn't "American" is apple pie! That of has ramifications to a certain well-known phrase.

Many foods Americans think are "American" actually aren't.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I love Chicken Enchiladas! I once made a batch of really wicked good ground turkey enchiladas but haven't been able to duplicate the recipe. :redface:

How did the turkey taste ? The chicken the way I had it was breast and cut into chunks. I would think the ground turkey would be similar to ground beef ? I used to substitute various ground meats for beef in homemade chilli recipes. I actually prefer ground pork to beef for hamburgers as well.

AAALady

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
:tongue: How about which English food we dearly love? Scones with strawberry jam and clotted cream is to die for. I could eat them until I exploded.

AAALady

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
What about apple butter? Is that an American food? I know it's good wherever it's from. What about S'mores? they are good too but I'm not sure if they are considered American or not.
This has an interesting timeline of foods. Some things we think of as modern aren't. lol

Food Timeline: food history reference & research service

Although they do say that apples have been used in all sorts of recipes all over Europe, they say that "Food historians generally credit people of German descent (including the Pennsylvania Dutch) for introducing apple butter to our country."

And s'mores are pretty much American camp food. Yeah, right before we put the kids to bed, let's give 'em sugar and caffeine. :wink:

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Has anyone mentioned haggis yet? That is something that gets seems to be like extreme eating.
America is a true melting pot...a lot of what we eat is influenced by those who have come here and brought their own food culture with them.

I have to say that the comment about America inventing fat people made me laugh.....I think it goes back farther than that.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
:eek: I though GRITS was a meaning for
GIRLS RAISED IN THE SOUTH:biggrin1: so eat more grits

GRITS is like similar variants served the world over. This is one I've eaten for years here and there. There's a growing tendency to use maize with the husk removed which is a shame because the husk adds some texture as well as nutrient value.

Maize meal without husk is often called breakfast meal. The reason it's becoming more popular, especially in the cities, is ironically, economic. More people are able to afford the more expensive, yet less traditional, and IMO inferior product and buy it as mark of social standing.:rolleyes:

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Bread and butter pudding, I forgot that, I don't know if it's also eaten in American but ick, it's slop.
And deep fried mars bars (or as I prefer to call it 'instant heart attack')that famous Scottish delicacy. Why would anyone fry a mars bar and I still have my doubts that this isn't a huge Scottish wind up :)

Kenyth

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
OMG deep fried mars bar!!!! It is a bit naughty but its soooo yummmmm, I haven't had one for a while, I used to work in a Fish & Chips shop when I was 12, and make my own everyday :) mmmmm

MMMM I love bread and butter pudding....especially with amaretto vanilla custard...yummmmmm

SpoiledPrincess

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Isn't it dripping with fat kenyth? Any time I've been to Scotland (always for business) it's been so cold I didn't venture out of my nice warm room unless I had to so I never got to look at one, but I imagine this sort of gloopy melted chocolate covered with batter which when you bite releases streams of fat.

Kenyth

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
The only fat is the oil you fried in..and if you used vegetable oil, it isn't that bad. Batter is just all carbs, and mars bar is just sugar, so really no fat at all. Yummm.....oh Im so homesick, I might just have to go buy a mars bar now.....