You weird Yanks :-)

Dr S

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Toad in the hole sounds a lot like what we in the US call "pigs in a blanket" actually. Does anyone know if it's really the same thing?
Don't think so ... aren't pigs in a blanket made separately, like sausage rolls? For Toad in the hole, you'd put all the sausages in one dish and then pour the batter over. I think the batter for toad in the hole is different to the pancake mix/dough used for pigs in blankets too. I think!

arktrucker

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
My partner and I owned a restaurant in Georgia. It was a game we had telling the yankees from the southerners by how they ate grits.

If you're a true southerner, you eat grits with butter salt and pepper. Yankees on the other hand, don't have a clue even what grits are and will put butter sugar and milk/cream on them. Another thing I've found about yankee's they put sugar on tomatoes. Whats up with that?

British foods seem to be all inards. Spleen, kidneys, liver and stuff like that. I'm of Portuguese decent and my grandmother used to make menudo-tripe soup. It was ok until I found out what tripe was. No more for this boy. I like interesting food, but some is just a little too interesting for me.

Dr S

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That's a bit reminiscent of porridge in the UK ... sort of oaty breakfast mash served hot (sorry if you already knew that). In most of England, it's eaten with any combination of jam, sugar and cream, but in the north of England and all of Scotland, it's eaten with salt!

earllogjam

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
OMG deep fried mars bar!!!! It is a bit naughty but its soooo yummmmm, I haven't had one for a while, I used to work in a Fish & Chips shop when I was 12, and make my own everyday :) mmmmm

MMMM I love bread and butter pudding....especially with amaretto vanilla custard...yummmmmm

Didn't the Mars bar taste like fish and chips? I've had fried pickles before. They are gooood.

Are Lamingtons British? They are nice. Yummy.

prickleyguy

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Bread and butter pudding, I forgot that, I don't know if it's also eaten in American but ick, it's slop.
And deep fried mars bars (or as I prefer to call it 'instant heart attack')that famous Scottish delicacy. Why would anyone fry a mars bar and I still have my doubts that this isn't a huge Scottish wind up :)
Anything deepfried tastes good:biggrin1:

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The only fat is the oil you fried in..and if you used vegetable oil, it isn't that bad. Batter is just all carbs, and mars bar is just sugar, so really no fat at all. Yummm.....oh Im so homesick, I might just have to go buy a mars bar now.....
The only added fat is the fat you fry it in... chocolate and caramel are both VERY high in fat.
Vegetable oil + heat and air produces trans fats.:eek:
Not exactly true, I don't think. I'll have to ask my partner, the Ph. D. chemist... but I don't really think that heating vegetable oil in the presence of air actually changes any chiral centers from cis to trans...
That's how I fix them but my mother and grandmother preferred "red eye gravy".
Ah, the memories! I don't know if your mother and grandmother did it differently, but the red-eye gravy I grew up with was pretty much just the juices from a baked ham! Not the perfect sauce for everything, but excellent on grits! I'm much better with the browned cream gravy.

D_Joseba_Guntertwat

Experimental Member
Media
Bread and butter pudding, I forgot that, I don't know if it's also eaten in American but ick, it's slop.
And deep fried mars bars (or as I prefer to call it 'instant heart attack')that famous Scottish delicacy. Why would anyone fry a mars bar and I still have my doubts that this isn't a huge Scottish wind up :)

Definitely not a wind up. Also deep fried pizza, deep fried ice cream, deep fried black pudding. I'm sure I've heard of deep fried beer too but not sure how it works.
Am surprised so many people are put off by haggis. It's only heart, liver and lungs, which are pretty good as long as the sheep wasn't an alcoholic or a smoker :p To be honest, a haggis is almost certainly more nutritious than the typical abattoir floor scrapings that goes into a MacDonalds.

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Definitely not a wind up. Also deep fried pizza, deep fried ice cream, deep fried black pudding. I'm sure I've heard of deep fried beer too but not sure how it works.
Am surprised so many people are put off by haggis. It's only heart, liver and lungs, which are pretty good as long as the sheep wasn't an alcoholic or a smoker :p To be honest, a haggis is almost certainly more nutritious than the typical abattoir floor scrapings that goes into a MacDonalds.

I think like most things it's perception and myth. Haggis is fine. Deep fried beer sounds tricky, doesn't the bottle/can explode?:tongue:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Changing a cis fat to a trans fat requires isomerizing under heat and pressure in the presence of a catalyst, I think.

Any chemists here? Help me out?

I think so but I've not studied it for for years...

During the hydrogenation process, conducted at high temperature (typically 260ºC) and pressure, the unsaturated oil is subject to structural transformation. Double bonds in the constituent fatty acids, which are naturally in the cis configuration, can flip to a trans configuration, so creating trans 'isomers'.

tfX: Chemistry of trans fats.